Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Honestly, if Beau DeMayo takes some anger management classes or something, or promises to shape up, GIVE HIM HIS PEN BACK.

This was a fun episode at first and gave great development to Jubes, but then the dramatic whiplash with Ororo was everything. Alison Sealy Smith will forever be the gold standard until another actress in live action can change my mind.

Loved Mojo, loved the 'A Different World' reference about the X-Men in Mojoworld also.

And damn, Forge was kinda hot in this lol.

I think I enjoyed this episode more than last weeks. I mean it does helps that Jubilee is one of my favorites I know it's not suppose to be a direct adaption of the comics, but Jubes was still 14 around this time period. I guess they wanted to age her up so she too can have "sexy time". Not even she can escape this show's horniness lol. I don't mind the compressed version of Life Death(part 1) either as it accomplished what it set out to do. As for Forge suddenly falling in love with Storm, some time obviously passed between the last episode and now. It's a non-issue IMO and... it's Storm. People fall for her on sight all the time lol.

Also, it seems those rumors of Bastion showing up might be true after all judging by the pic on Forge's wall...

And that Rogue/Gambit/Magneto triangle is steadily bubbling.

Rogue got two men making her cups of coffee, she's a PIMP.

Quote Originally Posted by Android 17 View Post
    And that Rogue/Gambit/Magneto triangle is steadily bubbling.

Rogue got two men making her cups of coffee, she's a PIMP.
    I'm thinking it'll get resolved next week and Nightcrawler's gonna have a hand in it. Next week just might end up being the best episode yet with the reunion of Kurt with Rogue, Gambit, and Logan.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    The Jubilee half of the episode was fun, even though I really disliked Mojo's voice.
    I'm glad I'm not he only one. That voice didn't make any sense for that character.

I enjoyed this, but both segments would benefit from standing on their own. The Jubilee part kinda came off as filler like this.

It's weird though with Mojo. When I think of him sometimes I hear Andy Dick, then other times Danny DeVito.

But I thought his actor was okay.

At long last, Justice for Jubilee!!! Given that she was driving (albeit in a different country) in that (horrid) season of the OG show, it tracks that she's now a legal adult. This continuation - particularly Episodes 3 and 4 - have done well to show that she's no longer a teen sidekick or rookie. Even the constantly-pulling Sunspot out of danger part. Given the deaging in the comics and the general lack of character/age progression, it's good to see her stepping into her own. I have faith that Sunspot's journey from "newbie" to "on it" is going to go a lot faster on this show. I wonder when they are going to tackle his parents finding out.

Interesting that Magneto got away with his line about his parents... especially since (comic) Jubilee's parents were also killed when young. (I think in the OG show continuity, Jubilee was adopted and never knew her birth parents.) Pretty sure that was an intentional juxtaposition. I can't imagine Jubilee and Sunspot together in the comics, but they have really made it work in the show.

They need to quit doing Remy dirty and just get this triangle out into the open.

Lifedeath... Gotta admit; I really didn't like this part. While Motendo fit within the shortened time frame - not that I would not have minded a full episode- this part of Lifedeath did not. Ororo met Forge for the first time in a -what - 20 second clip at the end of the previous episode, we finally get their conversation, and he is already professing his undying love. I know that Storm just sees it as a day of the week that ends with Y, but the audience is not hip like that. This really could have stood to be a subplot - much like the M-R-G triangle - for a bit before coming to a head.

Astonishing Member

Totaly pointless bit of trivia.

Arcade gaming machines were allready using 32-bits pixel/sprite graphics by the mid 1990's, thanks to their higher performance standard at the time. After all these were build from ground up to support a single game and dedicated their entire hardware to it. Hence also fittingly expensive. Meanwhile home consoles had to be relative compact, inexpensive and support various pieces of software.

Because of this "console ports" of arcade games were often inferior, in part because of smaller color pallets, simplified sprites and slower frame rates (at best).

However by 1997 the first Sony Playstation and the Sega Saturn were allready on the market for 2 years in the USA (3 in japan), both supporting 32-bit sprite and early full 3D graphics aswell.

Infact the first Tekken was released in arcades in 1994 and Tekken 3, which marked the big breathrough of the franchise, in 1997.

In general 1996 to 1997 saw the decline of sprite/pixel graphics, while full 3D modeling in all it's "blocky beauty" was allready on the rise as the new big thing in gaming graphics.

Meanwhile the growing PC gaming scene also helped push hardware to new limits and financed the creation of increasingly more powerfull processors, graphic cards and bigger hard drives to satisfy the demand of players to experience their new games at the maximum performance they offer.

These developments in turn were a major factor in the rapid decline of the arcades across the US (though they didn't die out completely) and even in japan, since players could now experience games of similar or better quality at home.

The popularity of "retro" 8- and 16-bit sprite graphics nowdays mainly stems from the nostalgia associated with the original Nintendo Entertainment System (8-bit) of the early 90's and Super Nintendo or Sega Genesis (16-bit) of the mid 90s.

Because of this any kind of sprite or pixel graphic is often associated with the above mentioned terms even if the actual graphics in a "retro" game might be far more detailed and processing intensive than anything those home consols or even PCs at the time could have ever delivered.

Of course neither the modern audience or the creators of shows like these should be expected to know or consider such pieces of gaming trivia. But in a way these real world developments at the time actualy fit quite nicely in Jubilee's story about growing up, things changing around her and developing nostalgia as a result.
    Last edited by Grunty; 04-03-2024 at 09:11 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hi-Fi View Post
    Ugh, they really didn't do Lifedeath justice. Why oh why wasn't it a whole episode (yes, I know this is only part 1, but look at how much story it's covered in it)? There was no set-up for that emotional pay-off between Storm and Forge to work. 5 minutes and he was already declaring his love. It could have been a really beautiful episode, but it was so rushed (like last episode was) that it just seemed like DeMaio going "check, check, check" in a list of stuff he wanted to cover.

The Jubilee half of the episode was fun, even though I really disliked Mojo's voice.

Overall, I'm still really enjoying it, but I wish it took its time when needed.
    Yeaah it's rushed for the last two episodes. ig Fan service works like that nowadays

Also, when Roberto was speaking justifiably angry Portuguese at Jubille, I think he said something about wanting to go back and it being too dangerous there.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Another rushed episode. These stories work better as long term story telling, so nothing really hits as good as Trial of Magneto did.
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Also, when Roberto was speaking justifiably angry Portuguese at Jubille, I think he said something about wanting to go back and it being too dangerous there.
    asked friend to translate

"I don't care, I'm screwed, this place is too dangerous, I'm getting out of here"
    “ The way he speak in this scene is informal and with brazilian slang.”
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post

Thanks. My Portuguese is still pretty rusty and I'm more familiar with European Portuguese. I knew I was missing some of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by ChildOfTheAtom View Post

That's it. He says "vazar" which is slang for "get out" over here.