Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Man refuses to use his powers to save himself. If he can't be mutant and proud, how can he be a proper X-Man?

Berto being closeted and self-loathing on the show adds an additional poignancy to using him in the OG Jubilee shot of getting barred/caged in the opening. Knowing how intelligent this show is, wouldn't be surprised if that was intentional and when he does finally embrace his powers, they may even have him blast away the barred fence in the opening.
    I will say that Berto got on my nerves a bit when holding out on using his powers until the last possible second... I'll give him level 1, but as soon as it was established that Mojo was pulling the strings in Genosha it was like "a little help here?!"

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    I didnt know Old Lady Jubilee was from the actual comics

Referencing stories I didnt know it was referencing
    Neither did I. What tipped me off was the subtitles: old lady Jubes was identified as Abscissa in the subtitles, which led me to believe that there's probably a comic story about her.

Uranus' World Shaking! (Definitely caught that one here from the Sailor Moon series with Jubilee's "nova" blast)

The episode as a whole was okay, but the pacing for Lifedeath Part 1 was rushed. I was hoping they would cut it to 10 to 10 or 15 to 15 (minutes that is) but for some reason, Lifedeath Part 1 was what like? 35-40% screentime compared to Motendo...

I don't know about you guys, but I kinda enjoyed and not enjoyed the Lifedeath Part 1, kinda hoped for more from one side but then again I was happy that they didn't extend the romance between Storm and Forge...

Jubilee wants to celebrate her birthday, and says "Let's go to the arcade"

Wait, do arcades still exist? I know that there are ways to play old arcade games in PC software or browsers, but the physical place, those where people would buy coins to play in those oversized machines with a single game in them, are those places still around somewhere? I know that this is a continuation of a 1990s series, but is it meant to be literally set in the 1990s world?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post

Wait, do arcades still exist? I know that there are ways to play old arcade games in PC software or browsers, but the physical place, those where people would buy coins to play in those oversized machines with a single game in them, are those places still around somewhere? I know that this is a continuation of a 1990s series, but is it meant to be literally set in the 1990s world?
    Yeah, it's supposed to be set in 1997, so Arcades are still going strong.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealWashout View Post
    Arcades still exist in 2024. Barcades have risen and become popular. I went to a few earlier this year. Dave and Busters is still around too

Quote Originally Posted by Mistah K88 View Post

I enjoyed what we got of Lifedeath so far, but I’ll wait until it’s complete to give my complete thoughts. When Storm said “You of all people should know the perils of trusting those in Washington.” I figured she was talking about Forge being Native American.
    Even in the comic Lifedeath, doesn't Storm call Forge out for abandoning his culture and roots? I figured her reference in the episode was also to his heritage and possibly even a reference to Vietnam.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    Neither did I. What tipped me off was the subtitles: old lady Jubes was identified as Abscissa in the subtitles, which led me to believe that there's probably a comic story about her.
    There is. She appears in Wolverine 51-53. She's a Jubilee who became MOJO slave in future timeline wolverine and jubes prevent that future from happening
    X-Men Forever

Quote Originally Posted by berserkerclaw View Post
    There is. She appears in Wolverine 51-53. She's a Jubilee who became MOJO slave in future timeline wolverine and jubes prevent that future from happening
    Yeah, that was during the Hama Silvestri run. Really great run.
    “Not as good as I once was… but I’m as good, once, as I ever was.”

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Yeah, that was during the Hama Silvestri run. Really great run.
    best wolverine run imo

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealWashout View Post
    As mentioned previously, by 1997 arcades were actualy in decline.
    1995 to 1996 saw the release of new more powerfull gaming consols like the first Sony Playstation, Sega Saturn or Nintendo 64, which could not only rival the arcade machines in graphics but provided a much bigger bandwith of genres and individual games.

So unlike the times of the NES or SNES (Super Nintendo) and Sega Genesis, the Arcades were no longer exclusively providing the "best" versions of games within certain highly popular genres (tournament fighting, beat 'em up, shoot 'em up, racing).

Which somewhat fits nicely into the theme of Jubilee's story here.

That being said...

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Arcades still exist in 2024. Barcades have risen and become popular. I went to a few earlier this year. Dave and Busters is still around too
    Indeed. They are apparently also still big in South Korea and Japan. Never the less in the US they became much more niche compared to the 1980's and 1990's or had to evolve into hybrid forms like the mentioned barcade.

Still as with so many places or forms of entertainment which people were quick to call dead, once something else became more accessible and popular, they survived in a reduced form and are still around.

Because if something provides a certain atmosphere, engagement or experience that the new form can't, someone will provide it if it's supported/profitable.

For example. Cinema didn't kill theater, TV didn't kill cinema and streaming has not killed TV programming or cinema yet either.

Not my favorite episode, the split attention between two plots made an already short 28 minutes feel even shorter. The cameos are nice, but also frustrating.

I really hope Disney either gives us more episodes per season or increases the time, though I feel like that's unlikely.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    Thanks. My Portuguese is still pretty rusty and I'm more familiar with European Portuguese. I knew I was missing some of it.
    Yeah I know some Portuguese people and they say Brazilians are really hard to talk to. What I heard is that it's actually easier to use English to talk to Brazilians.

I can hear Hi-Fi grinding his teeth XD
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Just realized the show’s iconic theme music sounds a lot like the melody from “I’m your baby tonight” by Whitney Houston. Or vice versa.

Either way, it’s an earworm.