Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member Dark_Tzitzimine's Avatar

Default ‘DC Vault: Death in the Family: Robin Lives!’ #1 out in July

Following the seminal events of 1988’s original Batman #428 and 2023’s Batman #428 “fauxsimile” edition, featuring an alternate ending in which Jason Todd survives his brutal encounter with The Joker, DC is planning an all-new story that tells readers what happens to the ex-Robin during and after his recovery from nearly being killed by the Clown Prince of Crime.

On Wednesday, July 10, writer J.M. DeMatteis and artist Rick Leonardi add an all-new chapter to this iconic story when From the DC Vault: Death in the Family: Robin Lives! #1 arrives at participating comic book shops and digital retailers.

In 1988, DC raised the revolutionary idea to let fans decide the fate of then-Robin Jason Todd by calling a 1-800 number and casting a vote. Originally, fans decided that Jason would pay the ultimate price at the hands of The Joker, but a new facsimile of the original Batman #428 was released in December of 2023, featuring an alternate ending in which Jason lives. Now, for the first time, readers will witness his plans for revenge against the Clown Prince of Crime.

“Continuing this classic, and controversial, story and following in the footsteps of Jim Starlin and Jim Aparo, two creators I greatly admire, has been both a challenge and a joy,” said DeMatteis. “This is a great opportunity to tell a story that’s big on action, but also takes a very deep dive into the heads of our main characters as we ponder what would have happened if Jason Todd had survived The Joker’s brutal attack. And having a master like Rick Leonardi bringing it to life visually? I couldn’t ask for anything more.”

Leonardi added: “I’m hoping this series will give readers a look down the path not chosen; a glimpse of the alternative to the original fallout from Batman #428. After people read it, maybe this choice made back in the day will seem vindicated, or maybe we’ll see that it was a poor choice after all.”
    This is unexpected but I'm really curious about what DeMatties has planned, I hope it has more nuance and depth that just "we were completely justified on killing this character" and perpetuate the idea that Jason was a lousy Robin.

Incredible Member

I am so intrigued by this. And already looking forward to a trade paperback of Batman 426-427, the Robin Lives version of 428, and this mini. Anyway, very interesting, and I think DeMatteis may actually do justice to this concept.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I was hoping DC would do this when they released the alternate ending.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

DeMatteis writing Batman? Sign me up.

If this sells well then I figure we might get more of Jason as Robin stories set on Earth-Jason or whatever you want to call it?

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    If this sells well then I figure we might get more of Jason as Robin stories set on Earth-Jason or whatever you want to call it?
    I hope so because I would like to see more of Jason as Robin.

Astonishing Member

as I said on the Jason Todd appreciation thread:

More 'only bad things would have happened if Jason had lived' stories.

Also known as 'we did the right thing by killing this character' stories.

...just what if feels like to me.

Quote Originally Posted by scary harpy View Post
    as I said on the Jason Todd appreciation thread:

More 'only bad things would have happened if Jason had lived' stories.

Also known as 'we did the right thing by killing this character' stories.

...just what if feels like to me.
    Under Starlin? That definitely would have been true, but that doesn't seem to be the intent of this project.
    Looking for a friendly place to discuss comic books? Try The Classic Comics Forum!

I understand the wariness from some people since the press release outright says that this will be about Jason's plans of revenge against the Joker and that always gets portrayed in a negative light, but I hope this has more thought put into it that just being a rushed rehash of Lost Days and UtRH. Although I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up with Jason becoming Red Hood all the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    I understand the wariness from some people since the press release outright says that this will be about Jason's plans of revenge against the Joker and that always gets portrayed in a negative light, but I hope this has more thought put into it that just being a rushed rehash of Lost Days and UtRH. Although I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up with Jason becoming Red Hood all the same.
    It definitely could just be a dull rehash, but I'm cautiously optimistic as DeMatteis is a legitimately good writer.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Tzitzimine View Post
    I just think it would be very, very funny if where they landed on this What If was that Jason's plans of revenge involve actually killing the Joker - and then Gotham becomes a paradise.

Just leave that sat there as one of the canon worlds in the multiverse.

I mean, the main cover has the Joker with a bullet through the head so...

Agreed. Hopefully, those tales will turn out better for Jason than the Frank Miller version...

Last edited by K7P5V; 04-07-2024 at 01:36 AM. Reason: Added Helpful Link.
    "Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Amazing Member

Earth-88, for the point of divergence?

Incredible Member

If they had more 90s/Aparo art, I'd be more excited about this...