Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Gorilla Grodd vs Emma Frost

Gorilla Grodd vs Emma Frost

The Weeping Mod Sharpandpointies's Avatar

We've actually done this one before, and unless Emma can now use her Telepathy in diamond form, she's in deep trouble (also, probably loses a quickdraw anyway, see below).

She uses her Telepathy, Grodd is at least strong enough to hold her off as he crushes her with TK. That won't take long, and her own ability to use Telepathy is going to be degraded the moment she starts squooshing.

She uses Diamond Form to avoid getting squooshed, and she's not physically powerful enough to beat Grodd, who can use his own (massive) superstrength to just beat her against the arena wall until something breaks.

Worse, from what I'm reading Grodd has enhanced reflexes these days due to some connection to the Speed Force, which means he wins any quickdraw. Which means Emma goes squoosh.

Emma is a much better telepath than Grodd, and if this was purely a telepathic war I'd back her 100%. But it's not, and being a telepath himself Grodd can likely shield himself long enough to bring his other abilities into play...at which point things proceed poorly for Emma. Or just win the quickdraw and smear her with TK.

Mileage may vary.
    Why are we here?

"Superboy Prime (the yelling guy if he needs clarification)..." - Postmania
    "...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

If it's the latest version of Emma, then she's also packing repulsor knuckle dusters that were a present from Tony Stark.

How does the above change the equation?
    The CBR Community Standards & Rules - Your Guide to Being a Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post
    If it's the latest version of Emma, then she's also packing repulsor knuckle dusters that were a present from Tony Stark.
    It’s sentences like this that make me love comics.
    Chief Curmudgeon

Quote Originally Posted by The Watcher View Post

How does the above change the equation?
    If it’s part of her standard equipment, and they can legit destroy a sentinel, we have a real fight. She just has to survive long enough to get into diamond form.

I’m not sure just how good Grodd’s reflexes are.
    Why are we here?

"...dropping an orca whale made of fire on your enemies is a pretty strong opening move." - Nik
    "Why throw punches when you can be making everyone around you sterile mutant corpses?" - Pendaran, regarding Dr. Fate

It comes down to a quick draw; if Emma can force the fight onto the Astral Plane right off the bat, she wins. She was able to stalemate Exodus on the Astral Plane to the point his entire consciousness was focused there and he was unable to use any other powers.

If Grodd can get off his TK first, then he should win.

Forcing the fight onto the astral plane seems a tad more complex than ‘Fire TK bolt!’ *splatter*.

Any scans or issue numbers? ^_^
    Why are we here?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    We've actually done this one before, and unless Emma can now use her Telepathy in diamond form, she's in deep trouble (also, probably loses a quickdraw anyway, see below).

She uses her Telepathy, Grodd is at least strong enough to hold her off as he crushes her with TK. That won't take long, and her own ability to use Telepathy is going to be degraded the moment she starts squooshing.

She uses Diamond Form to avoid getting squooshed, and she's not physically powerful enough to beat Grodd, who can use his own (massive) superstrength to just beat her against the arena wall until something breaks.

Worse, from what I'm reading Grodd has enhanced reflexes these days due to some connection to the Speed Force, which means he wins any quickdraw. Which means Emma goes squoosh.

Emma is a much better telepath than Grodd, and if this was purely a telepathic war I'd back her 100%. But it's not, and being a telepath himself Grodd can likely shield himself long enough to bring his other abilities into play...at which point things proceed poorly for Emma. Or just win the quickdraw and smear her with TK.

Mileage may vary.
    Wouldn't focusing defending himsefl from her TP prvent him from using his own TK

Astonishing Member Captain Morgan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    Wouldn't focusing defending himsefl from her TP prvent him from using his own TK
    Not necessary, but even if it did, Grodd can just punch her. Sharp's assessment is right on the money.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Morgan View Post
    Not necessary, but even if it did, Grodd can just punch her. Sharp's assessment is right on the money.
    Not from a hundred foot starting distance. Don't Think Grodd's entering melee range at any point in this fight. He's either taking her own with TK or getting mindwhammied

Quote Originally Posted by Jcogginsa View Post
    QuickDraw, and Emma reaching out for a mental grapple to drag him onto the astral plane feels more complex and therefore slower than ‘TK bolt!’….even if Grodd didn’t potentially have enhanced reflexes.

Mileage may vary.
    Why are we here?

For more detail, given the whole 'drag Grodd into Astral Battle', I feel we have three possibilities of how that ends.

1: Grodd has enhanced reflexes. If this is the case, he splatters Emma before she can do anything.

2: Their reflexes are on par, but 'Dragging someone into an Astral War' involves a little more work than 'TK splatter'. This makes sense to me, as the astral thing feels a little more complicated and time-consuming than 'shoot bolt'. If this is the case, maybe Emma wins a couple, but Grodd takes a solid majority.

3: Their reflexes are on par, and both attacks take the same amount of time to start affecting the other person. I don't feel this is the case, but even if it is...let's say they each win an equal number of QuickDraws (4/10) and once in a while (2/10) we get something close to simultaneous. If the attacks land roughly simultaneously, it amounts to 'Emma starts her psychic war on Grodd right when her body gets exploded by his massive TK'. That's not a win for Emma - she gets splattered, Grodd maybe gets a mild headache and realizes that had she continued, he'd be in big trouble.

So at best (#3) I see Emma winning ~4/10 with this strategy, and Grodd eking out a 6/10 majority. At best, assuming it's possibility #3 (which, to me, seems the least likely). The other possibilities have worse and worse conclusions for Emma.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 04-05-2024 at 05:43 AM.
    Why are we here?

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    It’s sentences like this that make me love comics.
    Mood.

Also makes you wonder why, in a world where the superhero community is so intermingled, they don't just have every hero learning magic and packing gadgets on top of their usual powerset. :B

(From a writing standpoint, I know why, it's just something that's always bugged me a little.)

Anyway, would lean towards Grodd here, even if she's packing repulsors. He's probably tough enough to tank them to get his own assault off, and if he does have the enhanced speed, she's probably not gunna hit him before he TK-bolts her.

Quote Originally Posted by Sharkerbob View Post
    Mood.

Also makes you wonder why, in a world where the superhero community is so intermingled, they don't just have every hero learning magic and packing gadgets on top of their usual powerset. :B

(From a writing standpoint, I know why, it's just something that's always bugged me a little.)
    Agree with this also. Maaaan, in any superhero RPG's I've played, unless 'everything needs to be purchased with points' I get characters making magic stuff for the tech and powers group, the tech characters doing the same, etc. Gets hilarious after a point.

Anyway, would lean towards Grodd here, even if she's packing repulsors. He's probably tough enough to tank them to get his own assault off, and if he does have the enhanced speed, she's probably not gunna hit him before he TK-bolts her.
    Definitely agree. Even if she's in diamond form, it's awfully hard to fire accurately when one is being ping-ponged off the unbreakable walls by Grodd's massive TK.
    Last edited by Sharpandpointies; 04-05-2024 at 05:41 AM.
    Why are we here?

Spectacularly Neurotic Sharkerbob's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sharpandpointies View Post
    Agree with this also. Maaaan, in any superhero RPG's I've played, unless 'everything needs to be purchased with points' I get characters making magic stuff for the tech and powers group, the tech characters doing the same, etc. Gets hilarious after a point.
    Yeah, doing this in a story I'm supposedly writing/rewriting this year. It's just the smart play, given the sheer variety of threats most super teams face.

Tend to agree. Even if she's in diamond form, it's awfully hard to fire accurately when one is being ping-ponged off the unbreakable walls by Grodd's massive TK.
    Totally.