Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3456789 LastLast
    Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    So let me get this straight...Anna Watson once conspired with May Parker to set-up Anna's niece, MJ, and May's nephew, Peter. Rather successfully, I might add. And now, Anna is conspiring to set up her niece's ex-boyfriend with a different woman? And no one, in this comic, finds that the least bit odd apart from the initial suprise? Because it's basically akin to a mom setting up a blind date for their daughter's ex-husband and telling said daughter, "Sorry sweetheart, but you're just not good enough for my ex son-in-law." Unless this is all some crazy plan of Anna's to try and get Peter and MJ back together, there's no rhyme or reason Anna would realistically do this, even if she is a former insane asylum patient.
    I would view it as Anna is setting up her former nurse, who she must have come to like a great deal, with someone who she thinks that nurse will click with. She probably doesn't know a whole lot of guys to match make with and as far as she's concerned Peter is a good guy.

And back in those old days of conspiring, I'm pretty sure she knew her niece was "fast" and was probably hoping a hook up with Peter would slow her down. When it comes to this current breakup, without knowing the reasons, she probably thinks it's MJ who doesn't want the relationship at the moment (and she would be right).

Plenty of folks stay cool with the family members of their ex. Heck, some may even date!

It's really not that strange.

Fantastic Member

Has anyone commented yet on the fact that Aunt Anna suddenly looks nothing like the character of the last 60 years? Krakoa magic or strong-editor consistency?
    "Face Front... Nuff Said?"

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by jebsib View Post
    Has anyone commented yet on the fact that Aunt Anna suddenly looks nothing like the character of the last 60 years? Krakoa magic or strong-editor consistency?
    She's not the same character, so should she look the same way as when she was first introduced by Steve Ditko?

Aunt May used to look like living rigor mortis under Ditko. And, yes, I know that sentence makes no sense!

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post
    I would view it as Anna is setting up her former nurse, who she must have come to like a great deal, with someone who she thinks that nurse will click with. She probably doesn't know a whole lot of guys to match make with and as far as she's concerned Peter is a good guy.

And back in those old days of conspiring, I'm pretty sure she knew her niece was "fast" and was probably hoping a hook up with Peter would slow her down. When it comes to this current breakup, without knowing the reasons, she probably thinks it's MJ who doesn't want the relationship at the moment (and she would be right).

Plenty of folks stay cool with the family members of their ex. Heck, some may even date!

And I guess Anna will get to hear how badly the first date ended .

Though I really wonder how Anna feels about Paul.

Fantastic Member

I wonder what Queen Goblins play in all this is? Can't see her doing this out of any goodness in her heart. Getting one over on Maxine and Beyond, since she has her issues with them?

https://x.com/susannaherwin/status/1...w38UJuhXf5zpyg

What some might not know is that I’m a huge comic book fan (happens when you grow up in San Diego!). And this is a very real issue in the current main Spider-Man comic. It’s sad, disgusting and horrifying that a main female character is being treated with such misogyny in 2024
    An award-winning author has called this run out as misogynistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevinroc View Post
    https://x.com/susannaherwin/status/1...w38UJuhXf5zpyg

An award-winning author has called this run out as misogynistic.
    Doesn’t mean it is. People throw around words without really thinking about what harm they can actually do.
    Do I hate this storyline? Yes. Would I call someone misogynistic and possibly ruin that persons career in comics? No.
    I think he’s doing the best he can and it’s just not clicking with some people. But to just put out a blanket statement like that does more harm than good.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by wleakr View Post

And back in those old days of conspiring, I'm pretty sure she knew her niece was "fast" and was probably hoping a hook up with Peter would slow her down.
    Anna had always been on MJ’s side. She’s MJ’s place of refuge, where MJ ran to when she couldn’t stay with Gayle, where MJ ran to after turning down Peter’s first proposal.

I highly doubt Anna would sl%t shame Mary Jane.

Women are allowed to date. They’re even allowed to date a lot. And there’s absolutely nothing wrong with dating a lot.

When it comes to this current breakup, without knowing the reasons, she probably thinks it's MJ who doesn't want the relationship at the moment (and she would be right).

It’s strange for Anna, who has always taken Mary Jane’s side and even thought Peter was having an affair because he wasn’t consistently home and snuck around at night.

But that’s this run. Consistency and characterization are four letter words. It’s just inanimate dolls being thrown around the toy room until it’s time to pack them up.
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 04-10-2024 at 11:33 PM.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

Quote Originally Posted by jsg2295 View Post
    Doesn’t mean it is. People throw around words without really thinking about what harm they can actually do.
    Do I hate this storyline? Yes. Would I call someone misogynistic and possibly ruin that persons career in comics? No.
    I think he’s doing the best he can and it’s just not clicking with some people. But to just put out a blanket statement like that does more harm than good.
    I think we could have a serious discussion about the issues people have and the reaction fans who have expressed concerns have gotten in response. But that may be beyond the scope of this thread about one specific issue from this run.

Quote Originally Posted by stillanerd View Post
    So let me get this straight...Anna Watson once conspired with May Parker to set-up Anna's niece, MJ, and May's nephew, Peter. Rather successfully, I might add. And now, Anna is conspiring to set up her niece's ex-boyfriend with a different woman? And no one, in this comic, finds that the least bit odd apart from the initial suprise? Because it's basically akin to a mom setting up a blind date for their daughter's ex-husband and telling said daughter, "Sorry sweetheart, but you're just not good enough for my ex son-in-law." Unless this is all some crazy plan of Anna's to try and get Peter and MJ back together, there's no rhyme or reason Anna would realistically do this, even if she is a former insane asylum patient.
    Alternatively, Anna has accepted that Paul is MJ’s one true love and is just trying to throw Peter a bone
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Fantastic Member

Eh, this run is many things... but misogynistic? Ehhhh, dunno about that....

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by t-spider View Post
    Eh, this run is many things... but misogynistic? Ehhhh, dunno about that....
    This run outright fridged Kamala. Received mainstream press criticizing the fridging.

Called MJ a scarlet woman and She-Hulk a b!tch. Stabbed both of them graphically in the back. Pretended to kill MJ just as a haha gotcha bait and switch.

MJ is kidnapped, sent to a dystopian hell with only one other person on whom she was forced to survive, labeled as a sacrifice for no other reason than being a woman associated with Spider-Man and her life constantly under threat for years, literally chained to children when being trapped as a caregiver was MJ’s greatest fear and the reason she ran away from her sister, and instead of exploring her trauma turned her into a happy little homemaker shown doing all the domestic labor while Paul played with the kids. The Jackpot one off then made Paul control MJ’s power levels remotely while watching her every move - creepy to the extreme and infantilizing but the story has the gall to try and sell it as empowering. MJ was just Moira’s meat puppet who waited for the big strong men to rescue her and did nothing to self-rescue herself. Made MJ and Kamala run away and then just stand around waiting for Rabin to stab one of them, Kamala did nothing to defend herself.

Turned Gwen into a literal reward for Peter. Yanked her out of heaven without any regard for what she wanted just so Peter can shed some tears.

Made Aunt Anna defend a rapist and compare him favorably to Peter. After giving her dementia out of the blue and then turning her into an insane person who assaults people.

Ignored Aunt May except as the sad disappointed mom who then unconditionally forgives Peter cliche stereotype.

Betty is a drugged mom who cries about her baby before this issue turns her into an Action Girl out of the blue (so much for worrying about her baby should both parents be killed/imprisoned).

Felicia’s position as a gang boss is ignored. She’s pretty much just an off-page “heating up” arm accessory except as a manic pixie in the Joe Kelly two parter. When she is on page, Felicia is turned into a jealous girlfriend - and she wasnt even dating Peter yet- who gets into cat fights with Bobbi Morse.

Anna Maria is turned into a one-note joke who wants to look good for Otto despite all the lies he told her.

Janice is denied story agency. The final battle is set up as Madame Masque vs Janice but Tombstone violently assaults his daughter and Janice disappears from the story and it becomes about Tombstone instead. Madame Masque is easily defeated as she’s apparently too stupid to use Sharpies to draw her sigils.

Turned Ashley Kafka into Queen Goblin, took away Norman’s sins but left her a goblin, and apparently according to this issue she’s still evil despite having the sins removed?!
    Last edited by TinkerSpider; 04-11-2024 at 04:50 AM.
    “I always figured if I were a superhero, there’s no way on God's earth that I'm gonna pal around with some teenager."

— Stan Lee

From what I hear all the female characters in the run are mistreated. You can add the discussion of whether Mary Jane, having made a big fuss about having moved on from Peter and made her own choices with Paul, now is getting jealous that Peter is moving on himself.
    But hey, it's not as if Peter is being treated well either.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by TinkerSpider View Post
    This run outright fridged Kamala. Received mainstream press criticizing the fridging.
    This should not be forgotten. Ever.

BTW, crazy town banana pants theory that will likely be proven wrong...what with Norman Osborn becoming the Green Goblin again is just a red herring and the "new Green Goblin" (the one that supposed to be revealed on the cover of ASM #51) is actually Nurse Shay? That she was actually a protegee of Norman's back when he was the director of Ravencroft and still a villain? Sure it's Menace 2.0 but it would be somewhat of a swerve of having Peter unknowningly going on a date with a super villain, I guess.
    --Mike McNulty, a.k.a. Stillanerd. Contributor for Bam Smack Pow! and Viral Hare
    Previous Articles for Whatever A Spider Can.
    Previous Articles for Spider-Man Crawlspace.

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton