Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I for one love that they're a messy villainous/anti-hero couple who won't hesitate to **** someone up but are ride or die for each other. The idea that every queer character and/or couple has to be completely "unproblematic" and sanitized cause otherwise it's not "good representation" is kinda stupid.

This "pride issue wedding special" corporate pride thing kinda feels a bit corny and out of touch for them, but I don't mind the idea of them/their relationship getting the spotlight in itself.
    I'm torn on the issue. On the one hand, it's not the safe and boring stuff we get, like modern Speed/Prodigy, Kyle/Northstar, Ying/Shay, Mercury/Bling!, or other relationships that just sort of... exist or aren't particularly complex. I said it before, but I like the Destique relationship because they're so in love and have great moments (even before Krakoa, like that ash-throwing scene way back when? Perfection.) And yet, Gillen wasn't afraid to show that the relationship had their ups and downs, and there were unhealthy elements the characters needed to work through. They're cool and fun. I would 100% take this over something more corporate and safe.

But on the other hand, they bring nothing but misery to everyone around them. I know it's just marketing, but it's weird that they make it seem like other people would actually be happy for them. The idea that anyone would willingly support them - besides Kurt, Rogue and Gambit, who would probably do so more out of obligation than anything else - is weird. I imagine half of these people would either boycott the wedding, or only show up to eat the cake and see one of the brides get wasted and embarrass herself at the reception.
    Last edited by Rift; 04-04-2024 at 05:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

I'll reiterate what I said in a previous discussion. I don't need queer characters to be squeaky clean and 'acceptable' to the hetero masses. My favourite queer comics couple is Apollo & Midnighter, who are good people who do creatively bad things to bad guys for the right reasons. I intensely dislike pushing outright and unrepentant villains as something Marvel should be proud of, especially for Pride Month. Raven & Irene are horrible people. It's like Marvel's literally trying to duplicate Harley & Ivy, but Raven & Irene lack any redeeming qualities.

At least the forever forgotten X-Kids are getting a spotlight. Pity it's part of this travesty, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I work with a woman who's relationship seems a lot like the one these two have however, rather than a celebration, I would so much rather see a story of their history together. We know why Raven is long lived....her shape changing abilities, but has it ever been discussed how Destiny has lived so long? She's supposed to be...what a couple hundred years old? How is that? Obviously she doesn't look it now because of the rebirth and even at her death she looked maybe 70 or 80, yet stories say she has been active for much longer.
    Give me that story...their true history, when did they find Rogue? How did Destiny feel about Raven's trysts with Wolverine and Creed and whomever else...what were those fights like? lol.
    Tell me that story...dont give me one where Carol shows up all smiles at her wedding because regardless of anything....Carol would not be smiling at their wedding unless she were drunk, and she dont drink no mo.
    William Messner Loebs Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-writ...ource=customer

Peter David Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/peter-david-fund

Len Kaminski Go Fund Me Page https://www.gofundme.com/f/help-save-len-kaminski

Spectacular Member CamilleMoineau's Avatar

Rogue: You're in charge of the rings, remember?
    Remy: And you remember I told you they can go **** off?

Fin.
    “Sometimes I feel like you’re the only one who gets me, 1400-pound block of cheese.”—Gareth Reynolds

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Messed up thing is, she actually did that with Logan. That’s how we ended up with Raze, though for the life of me I can’t figure out why Mystique would willingly get pregnant with Logan’s child, carry it to term and give birth to it before abandoning it. Like, what was her game plan there?
    House of M revealed that Mystiques wish was to be married to Logan not Irene coming back to life. Kurt hated Logan in that universe and didn't think he was good enough for her. Rogue was there at her side too. So this Mystique/Destiny thing is just them trying to bring Claremont's supposedly original plan for Kurts parentage to light for gay pride. Bad story and a bad AU IMHO (House of M).

So, Kurts just on the cover? He won't get a story? Just a small appearance in the main story looks like. They don't want to continue the story they started with his Spidey mini and X-Men Blue?
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 04-04-2024 at 10:13 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Just so they can write the first quote in a press release. I am sure there is an audience for this, at least as much of an audience as anything else Marvel is putting out these days.
    After all the years Destiny was dead, and how integral they've both proven to the x-universe, this is one I don't mind.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Let's reward terrible people by celebrating their love and making everyone bend over backwards for them!
    I read US and Blue. I'm not completely sold on Mystique and Destiny having some humanity with those books. And everyone wanting to celebrate doesn't seem realistic, true. But I still want to see them interact with Kurt some more and some family moments with them, him and Rogue. Despite Kurt not having his own story, I hope he has a big role in the main story.

And Tini Howard, just no!
    Last edited by From The Shadows; 04-04-2024 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CamilleMoineau View Post
    Rogue: You're in charge of the rings, remember?
    Remy: And you remember I told you they can go **** off?

Fin.
    I'd buy the comic just for something like this. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    I'm torn on the issue. On the one hand, it's not the safe and boring stuff we get, like modern Speed/Prodigy, Kyle/Northstar, Ying/Shay, Mercury/Bling!, or other relationships that just sort of... exist or aren't particularly complex. I said it before, but I like the Destique relationship because they're so in love and have great moments (even before Krakoa, like that ash-throwing scene way back when? Perfection.) And yet, Gillen wasn't afraid to show that the relationship had their ups and downs, and there were unhealthy elements the characters needed to work through. They're cool and fun. I would 100% take this over something more corporate and safe.

But on the other hand, they bring nothing but misery to everyone around them. I know it's just marketing, but it's weird that they make it seem like other people would actually be happy for them. The idea that anyone would willingly support them - besides Kurt, Rogue and Gambit, who would probably do so more out of obligation than anything else - is weird. I imagine half of these people would either boycott the wedding, or only show up to eat the cake and see one of the brides get wasted and embarrass herself at the reception.
    This is where I’m at. And I get the the “be gay, do crime” appeal and Marvel trying to get in on that HarlIvy action but they’re so blatantly twisting character motivations to make an extra buck during Pride. Their whole thing is that they don’t care about anyone besides themselves… why are we even acting like this would be a celebration? Like you said the only people who’d show up are their kids that they’ve neglected and abused… but love conquers all i guess?

Edit: I also think some of the couples you mentioned at the beginning come off as safe/ boring because Marvel doesn’t put any money or time into developing them and giving them nuance. We just get overly sanitized versions of them for Pride specials… which also seems to be happening here with Mystique & Destiny.

Quote Originally Posted by nx01a View Post
    I'll reiterate what I said in a previous discussion. I don't need queer characters to be squeaky clean and 'acceptable' to the hetero masses. My favourite queer comics couple is Apollo & Midnighter, who are good people who do creatively bad things to bad guys for the right reasons. I intensely dislike pushing outright and unrepentant villains as something Marvel should be proud of, especially for Pride Month. Raven & Irene are horrible people. It's like Marvel's literally trying to duplicate Harley & Ivy, but Raven & Irene lack any redeeming qualities.

At least the forever forgotten X-Kids are getting a spotlight. Pity it's part of this travesty, though.
    Quoted for truth! Y’all can call me a hater, but I am VERY over corporations blatant desperation to cash in on sales during Pride month.
    Last edited by Kingdom X; 04-05-2024 at 01:56 AM.

Yeah bro this looks soo Ass
    GrindrStone(D)

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    House of M revealed that Mystiques wish was to be married to Logan not Irene coming back to life. Kurt hated Logan in that universe and didn't think he was good enough for her. Rogue was there at her side too. So this Mystique/Destiny thing is just them trying to bring Claremont's supposedly original plan for Kurts parentage to light for gay pride. Bad story and a bad AU IMHO (House of M).

So, Kurts just on the cover? He won't get a story? Just a small appearance in the main story looks like. They don't want to continue the story they started with his Spidey mini and X-Men Blue?
    You’d at least think there would be a story centred around Kurt’s involvement considering the big revelation that just occurred. Even if this is set in the past before he knew, it would make sense to tie it in.

The synopsis makes it sound like everyone is so happy and board with celebrating them when there’s so much bad blood with this couple and ….well all the characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Edit: I also think some of the couples you mentioned at the beginning come off as safe/ boring because Marvel doesn’t put any money or time into developing them and giving them nuance. We just get overly sanitized versions of them for Pride specials… which also seems to be happening here with Mystique & Destiny.
    That's a good point. I'd be fine with some of these couples if they weren't just wallpaper. I've been waiting for more Prodigy/Speed content since there's a lot of potential for personality-clashing and quirkiness. Bobby/Christian had potential given their history, and how they can both be a lil cheeky.

Marvel is just sort of flopping with relationships in general, I think. Most of them are killed offscreen by the time a new run starts, or characters just randomly move on to other people as the plot calls for it. The fact that Daken/Aurora lasted 4 years and 4 books IRL is a miracle. I'm not surprised that they're holding onto Destiny/Mystique for dear life, since it's one of the few long-standing relationships they have left lmao
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    I for one love that they're a messy villainous/anti-hero couple who won't hesitate to **** someone up but are ride or die for each other. The idea that every queer character and/or couple has to be completely "unproblematic" and sanitized cause otherwise it's not "good representation" is kinda stupid.

This "pride issue wedding special" corporate pride thing kinda feels a bit corny and out of touch for them, but I don't mind the idea of them/their relationship getting the spotlight in itself.
    They well deserve the spotlight, they should not be inviting any of these people they can just barely tolerate to work alongside to their wedding (and some not at all) and almost none of these people should agree to attend. The actual wedding should the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants/Freedom Force and extended family. But Mystique will invite Captain America and Carol Danvers over her own family because they ARE being sanitized here.

is a cover anyway.

At least Mystique and Destiny do something very "heroic" and the end of FALL OF X that makes them the new power couple in town

Magneto started The Brotherhood of "Evil" Mutants and now all we know that x-men will continue clinging onto the nostalgia again after this with Charles becoming Magneto and Magneto becoming Charles. I feel for Charles getting the end of the stick smh
    Last edited by Keno; 04-07-2024 at 07:55 AM.