Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default 'X-Men: The Wedding Special' #1 Reveals Secrets Behind Mystique & Destiny's Love

'X-Men: The Wedding Special' #1 Reveals Secrets Behind Mystique & Destiny's Love Story
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...pride-synopsis

Marvel’s merry mutants take center stage in this year’s MARVEL’S VOICES: PRIDE one-shot! Titled X-MEN: THE WEDDING SPECIAL #1, this annual anthology celebrates Pride Month with stories crafted by incredible LGBTQIA+ talent and hits stands on May 29.

Join the X-Men as they come together to honor one of the most beloved and longest-lasting gay couples in comic book history—Mystique and Destiny! This landmark comic book special marks Marvel Comics’ first woman-to-woman wedding, and with a pair as complex as these two, you know there will be plenty of drama, secrets, and surprises!

From the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants to the Quiet Council, Mystique and Destiny have been steering the fate of mutantkind for decades. The Krakoan Age saw the long-awaited resurrection of Destiny, and after pivotal roles in the era’s biggest storylines, their love has never been more prominent. Before Krakoa comes to an end, fans and characters alike will celebrate the iconic pair by witnessing the renewal of their marriage vows!

X-MEN: THE WEDDING SPECIAL’s spectacular main story will be written X-Men mastermind Kieron Gillen, who’s penned some of the couple’s recent adventures in IMMORTAL X-MEN, and drawn by acclaimed artist Rachael Stott (STAR WARS: DOCTOR APHRA, FANTASTIC FOUR). In addition to new insights into Raven Darkholme and Irene Adler’s breathtaking 100-year romance, fans will get a glimpse at their original and never-before-told wedding and discover the pair’s secret motivations for hosting the event.

In the same tradition as the iconic Hellfire Gala and classic Marvel wedding issues like FANTASTIC FOUR ANNUAL #3 and X-MEN #30, X-MEN: THE WEDDING SPECIAL #1 will be a wedding extravaganza with multiple stories all centered around a night that will go down in mutant history!

Here are the other tales fans can look forward to:

- A Betsy Braddock and Rachel Summers adventure by the writer who brought them together—EXCALIBUR scribe Tini Howard! Joined by rising star Phillip Sevy, Howard pits the hot new couple against the Omniversal Majestrix, Opal Luna Saturnyne! Just about everyone in the Marvel Universe is invited to the vow renewal… except for Saturnyne. And she’s not happy. But why is she taking it out on Betsy and Rachel?

- Writer Tate Bombal (House of Slaughter) and artist Emilio Pilliu (Zeroventi) make their Marvel Comics debut with a touching and action-packed story starring Wolverine! Logan has a long—and bloody—history with Mystique and tasks Anole, Pixie, Indra, and Bling! with finding her the perfect gift. On a whirlwind journey that takes them from the Savage Land to Limbo, they’ll learn a valuable lesson about the importance of queer representation.

- It’s her mothers’ big day and Rogue has entrusted their favorite son-in-law with their wedding bands. But can Gambit stay out of trouble long enough to deliver them? Find out in this story about one of mutantkind’s most complicated families by two Marvel Comics newcomers, writer Wyatt Kennedy (MARVEL’S VOICES INFINITY COMIC) and artist Jenn St. Onge (The Strange Case of Harleen & Harley).

- Mystique and Destiny receive some pre-marriage psychic counseling courtesy of Emma Frost! See how the inspiring love of two former villains holds up against a telepathic onslaught of hard truths in this twisty tale by writer Yoon Ha Lee (Ninefox Gambit, Machineries of Empire) in his exciting Marvel Comics debut alongside acclaimed artist Stephen Byrne!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Why are we spending so much time and stories on these two?

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Join the X-Men as they come together to honor one of the most beloved and longest-lasting gay couples in comic book history—Mystique and Destiny! This landmark comic book special marks Marvel Comics’ first woman-to-woman wedding, and with a pair as complex as these two, you know there will be plenty of drama, secrets, and surprises!
    Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Just so they can write the first quote in a press release. I am sure there is an audience for this, at least as much of an audience as anything else Marvel is putting out these days.

I’m excited about Anole, Pixie, Indra and Bling getting some more spotlight. Also it’s not saying that Pixie and Indra are LGBT so people on Xwitter need to relax.

Kind of wish Mercury, Specter and Loa were here too.

I'll pick it up just because the Academy X kids look to be getting some page time (though that description has me a little worried, ngl).

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Those shorts actually sound interesting but...I really couldn't care any less about anything Gillenister (he's officially on my list of writers to never ever read again) has written so...whatever.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

- Writer Tate Bombal (House of Slaughter) and artist Emilio Pilliu (Zeroventi) make their Marvel Comics debut with a touching and action-packed story starring Wolverine! Logan has a long—and bloody—history with Mystique and tasks Anole, Pixie, Indra, and Bling! with finding her the perfect gift. On a whirlwind journey that takes them from the Savage Land to Limbo, they’ll learn a valuable lesson about the importance of queer representation.
    I know there's probably a lot more to it, but I'm laughing at a story about going on a dangerous and action-packed mission to the Savage Land, and the big take-away will be about representation. Because when I think about ensuring representation in media, I'm thinking about Wolverine stabbing dinosaurs in the neck.

Anyway, I doubt they'll do much, but I'll be glad to read about Wolverine and his adventures with Anole, Pixie and Indra.
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

That’s what I’d love to know. I know that Marvel wants their own iconic LGBT couple but these 2 are a terrible choice given how absolutely toxic they both are. Them being the former doesn’t outweigh the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    That’s what I’d love to know. I know that Marvel wants their own iconic LGBT couple but these 2 are a terrible choice given how absolutely toxic they both are. Them being the former doesn’t outweigh the latter.
    Let's reward terrible people by celebrating their love and making everyone bend over backwards for them!

- It’s her mothers’ big day and Rogue has entrusted their favorite son-in-law with their wedding bands. But can Gambit stay out of trouble long enough to deliver them? Find out in this story about one of mutantkind’s most complicated families by two Marvel Comics newcomers, writer Wyatt Kennedy (MARVEL’S VOICES INFINITY COMIC) and artist Jenn St. Onge (The Strange Case of Harleen & Harley).
    Gambit:

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    I’m excited about Anole, Pixie, Indra and Bling getting some more spotlight. Also it’s not saying that Pixie and Indra are LGBT so people on Xwitter need to relax.

Kind of wish Mercury, Specter and Loa were here too.
    Now I have a reason to buy this one. More Academy X representation and it's cool to see more of Indra.

Let's reward terrible people by celebrating their love and making everyone bend over backwards for them!
    Honestly, that’s exactly why I hate this push. Marvel had the opportunity to at least rehab their image with Krakoa like they did with numerous other characters, which in turn made me want to see more of them with the new perspective on life, but instead just chose to double down on their toxicity and yet want to reward them just because they’re LGBT. At least when DC did it with Harley and Ivy they at least made an effort to not paint them as horrible people and instead painted them in a more positive light. Here? Not so much.

I’m still not okay with Carol Danvers being front and center for this damn wedding.

None of the characters in the other stories (other than Wolverine and Rogue who are just quest givers) are on the cover. I'm going to pretend that either Mystique/Destiny get pissed off enough to get uninvited or the characters get mad enough to no show. Also poor Betsy getting Tini again. 5 years and she's had like 1 writer and it back to CB stuff again.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    Honestly, that’s exactly why I hate this push. Marvel had the opportunity to at least rehab their image with Krakoa like they did with numerous other characters, which in turn made me want to see more of them with the new perspective on life, but instead just chose to double down on their toxicity and yet want to reward them just because they’re LGBT. At least when DC did it with Harley and Ivy they at least made an effort to not paint them as horrible people and instead painted them in a more positive light. Here? Not so much.
    Harley and Ivy at least feel like they like each other. There were enough moments in Krakoa where they were just toxic to each themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Android 17 View Post
    I’m still not okay with Carol Danvers being front and center for this damn wedding.
    Yeah, forgive Rogue makes sense. Mystique absolutely not.