Spectacular Member

Default Jamie Braddock. what went wrong with him and his mutant ability anyway?all i

all I know about Jamie Braddock's backstory is from one of the old X-Men trading card series from the mid 1990s.

apparently his mutant power caused him to be schizo or catatonic the whole time?

So why didn't Xavier or anyone put some effort in at least helping Jamie Braddock out?

Quote Originally Posted by XandertheWise View Post
    all I know about Jamie Braddock's backstory is from one of the old X-Men trading card series from the mid 1990s.

apparently his mutant power caused him to be schizo or catatonic the whole time?

So why didn't Xavier or anyone put some effort in at least helping Jamie Braddock out?
    Jamie did horrible things in Africa and was taken prisoner by a village leader for punishment in the form of torture. Brian, his brother, tried rescuing him but once Brian learned what he had done he left him to be punished. During the punishment his powers manifested and he lost his mind.

After battling him in Excalibur, his brother Brian and sister Betsy went into his mind to try and help him when he was in a coma. This was in the lesser known Excalibur Annual #2 issue which afaik hasn't been made digitally available. Scans are hard to come by so here are some pics I took with my phone of the physical issue.

Basically they battle him in his mind and implant a new memory of their childhood in his mind. Apparently he had felt greatly left out due to the connection the twins had so they created a scenario where instead of him failing to find them while playing hide and seek, the new memory had him finding them in their secret hiding place and playing with them.

They weren't sure if it worked but narration tells us that he was very happy after what they did for him. Since then, although he still battles with mental health issues as a reality warper, he's tried to help his siblings in his own wild ways. He's no hero but he's mostly stayed out of trouble and tries to help, sometimes to the detriment of everyone.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

I have the feeling that nobody knew what to do with him after the crimes he committed in Africa (human trafficking, slavery, etc) and then transformed him in a generic Mad Jim Jaspers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    I have the feeling that nobody knew what to do with him after the crimes he committed in Africa (human trafficking, slavery, etc) and then transformed him in a generic Mad Jim Jaspers.
    Agreed. He was an unusable character so Claremont came up with something to make him viable again. He had appeared in and out of Brian's books for years just as a rich playboy and then in one issue of volume 2 the character was destroyed. Since Claremont created him I don't blame him for trying to wipe that slate clean and I think he did it very effectively.
    Last edited by JB; 04-05-2024 at 06:06 PM.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

What a wonderful art in those pages you posted, JB, especially the two first panels of page 1.
    First Warren in Dark X-Men #1, and then Genis-Vell in Captain Marvel #1. Seriously, Marvel?!
    Avatar reflecting my mood. I couldn't stand the sunny high-flying Angel one anymore.