Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default X-Cutioner's Song

I'm currently reading X-Factor (Havok, Polaris, Multiple Man, Strong Guy, and Wolfsbane) and just read #84. It is Part 2 of X-Cutioner's Song. I'm assuming that it is a crossover story.

Should I spend the money on buying the X-Cutioner's Song? Is it a good read? Is it a pivotal event in Marvel/X-Men history? How many Parts are there to it?

Or should I just continue to read through X-Factor without worrying about X-Cutioner's Song?

Thanks fellas!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by TedderX View Post
    I'm currently reading X-Factor (Havok, Polaris, Multiple Man, Strong Guy, and Wolfsbane) and just read #84. It is Part 2 of X-Cutioner's Song. I'm assuming that it is a crossover story.

Should I spend the money on buying the X-Cutioner's Song? Is it a good read? Is it a pivotal event in Marvel/X-Men history? How many Parts are there to it?

Or should I just continue to read through X-Factor without worrying about X-Cutioner's Song?

Thanks fellas!

I can't give you advice on how to spend your money, but I can point you to a very good source for a synopsis of X-Cutioner's Song.

BANNED

It's one of my favorites. I wouldn't say it's pivotal, but it's definitely significant to the X-Men mythos. Read a synopsis, if it sounds interesting to you then check it out.

It's one of the best X-Men stories of all time. Highly recommended. Don't let the 90s haters make ya miss out.

Relaunched, not rebooted! SJNeal's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    It's one of the best X-Men stories of all time. Highly recommended. Don't let the 90s haters make ya miss out.
    Ditto. It's about 16 parts in total, but don't let that deter you; the issues can be found in dollar bins everywhere.
    SJNeal
    Veteran Member
    Aug 2009

The CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Loved the X-Cutioner's song great story.

Red face

As a Cable fan I didn't like it back then because I felt that the whole reveal about his origin needlessly complicated a very cool character. I had first been introduced to him in X-Tinction Agenda and felt that he was easily the second coolest mutant character behind Wolverine.

Having said that, I've since reread it and like many others here now think it was one of the strongest X-men events. Greg Capullo, Jae Lee and Andy Kubert on art duties? Pretty hard to beat that combo. Plus the story was good and I liked the initial reveal that Cable was a defective clone while Stryfe was the real deal. In light of the revelation in the latest X-Force series that the real Cable is in cryogenic stasis and clones himself each day, I can't help but think that that would have been a cool direction for the character way back when. Basically he keeps himself in stasis because of how advanced the T-O virus has become in his system and has clones (with his memories downloaded) running around fighting his battles. Supposedly that was the direction Liefeld wanted to take with the character at some point, but editorial wouldn't allow it.

At any rate, after X-Cutioner's Song would've been a cool place for that reveal once Cable came back...in time for the next event (Fatal Attractions). If nothing else, it would explain how he always comes back and defies death.

So, yes, it is worth a read.
    Last edited by Jackraow21; 09-10-2014 at 02:23 AM.

BANNED

Oh yes , the x-cutioner's song was an excellent crossover. Stryfe , Apocalypse and Mr Sinister were pretty prominent. The ending of the crossover was the catalyst for the legacy virus which ran rampant in the x-men universe and killed a lot of mutants for the next few years after this crossover.

The best X-events of the last 20 years all seemed to heavily involve Cable.

It was the pinnacle of bad 90's X-Men.

More importantly it has nothing to do with X-Factor. I think that was part of why Peter David left the book.
    Last edited by All-New Valar Stercus NOW.1; 09-10-2014 at 06:50 AM.
    Game Over man! Game Over!

Astonishing Member Askani's Flame's Avatar

I still think it's one of the better crossovers the X-books have ever had. After that things started to fall apart. I'm still annoyed that they shipped Rachel off into space for 4 months just to keep her out of the storyline.

BANNED

I loved this story. .I won't spoil it but Stryfe should of been the real deal..not that other guy.

BANNED

How do you pronounce this event? Is the second syllable in "executioner" sounded out?

Bishop, Logan, Cable together
    A weakened Apocalypse taking on the X-men and Stryfe.
    A story that really didn't involved Jean And Cyke.

You will never see this again.

Hell yes you need to get the whole thing

Quote Originally Posted by ImprobableQuestion View Post
    How do you pronounce this event? Is the second syllable in "executioner" sounded out?
    In my head I always just pronounce it "Executioner's Song" and yes, its one of my personal favorites. Actually, one of the parts I liked best about it was that the villain actually had a kick-ass narrative arc that ENDED (It wasn't until late in the run of X-Man, the better part of a decade later that they actually brought back Stryfe as anything other than a flashback and even that was a mistake... he used to be the most memorable X-Villain to me for years precisely because they let him stay dead instead of diluting him with countless return appearances).