View Poll Results: Is Storm able to carry her own solo ongoing book for multiple years?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes? (How or why?)

50 48.54%
  • No (Why not?)

53 51.46%
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 LastLast

She needs a decent rogues gallery. She shares a lot of foes with the X-Men, but not too many personal rivalries that she hasn't become buddy-buddy with (and a lot of the general X-Men foes have also become heroes anyways. Magneto, Juggernaut, etc.)

Her Omega status mutant powers are also pretty nebulous. If she was just "controls Earth weather," it would be fine (tosses lighting bolts, can make it rain, snow etc.) But then they go and give her cosmic powers so she can control solar winds and storms, electromagnetic fields, control the air in people's lungs, breathe underwater, etc. She also has the potential to wield magic because, why not? She's simply too powerful to be challenged by most of the popular Marvel villains (Doc Ock, Sabertooth, Red Skull, Kingpin, etc.) So that just leaves cosmic level villains, and how many times has Silver Surfer been cancelled now?
    "The White Queen welcomes you, TO DIE!"

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    She Hulk, Elektra, Carol and Spider-Woman are all in the 100 solo issue club.

Kamala is nearing the 100 issue club. She might bypass it this year.
    With Squirrel Girl and Moon Girl in the 50 solo issue club.
    Silk and Spider-Gwen are probably in the 30-40.
    Jane Foster as Thor sold better than Odison.
    Widow and Wanda are probably in the 30s of solo issues. As is Storm.
    Nadia, Riri and Shuri are in the 20s.

Marvel has support female lead books. It is not their fault their fans seem to take issue at WHO gets one and support seems to vary.
    Point taken however when I spoke about support I mean from the standpoint of actually promoting and pushing a book to be majorly successful. These characters may have had longer runs but I wouldn't describe any of them as a signature book or one that is heavily focused on. As I said earler, the only character mentioned here with a solo that seemed to ever have major status IMO is Elektra. She seemed to be everywhere in the early 90s. The only other one I can compare to that maybe be Kamala during her debut? She Hulk and Carol just seem to be given solos regardless. I just don't feel like Marvel has really pushed a female character in the way that a Wonder Woman has been pushed or given significance. They tried with Carol in the MCU to be fair though, but I feel like they shot themselves in the foot by nearly completely removing her from the major story arch. Scarlet Witch has gotten big push too latetly. That's the level of support I'm talking about, not just publishing a book.

Jane Foster did get a fair push I would say too. I think this is one of the reasons she sold so well as well.
    Last edited by Sdawg; 04-07-2024 at 10:31 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Zoks View Post
    You'd have to remember what makes Wolverine popular. He's a guy that runs around stabbing people with claws while having anger issues. It's like asking why Hulk is popular when he's just a dude that smashes things. This allows his solos to thrive despite whatever X-Men event is up: there's always somebody to be angry at and needs stabbing.

Storm as a character plays by different rules. She doesn't like what's happening? She finds people who agrees with her and sets off to accomplish what needs to be done (see the founding of the X-Treme X-Men and the Brotherhood on Arrako). So this the Storm that needs to be a solo act who doesn't need anybody's assistance while still being a team player on the X-men? It's possible, but you'll have to throw away everything Storm has been up until now. But then is it really Storm you are getting, or just somebody who has her power set?

Anyways we'd have to see where the X-Franchise is going after this event is over. If Arrako is still around and Storm is still tied to that, this debate would be pointless. I recall her telling Xavier she is no longer an X-man after Sins of Sinister. If that still stands she may have already quit the team.

Captain Marvel had a 50 issue solo. In Marvel's case there was the whole movie rights thing holding back most of the X-Men for a long time, and now we're in a new mini spam era so who knows what will get pushed in the end.
    I think the difference here is your definition of solo. Your definition seems to be a book where the protagonist does everything alone. Some solos may in fact execute in this fashion but not all. A solo can also simply be a book driven by the story and conflicts of the protagonist. It can have multiple characters involved but the focus is almost always on the main hero. The issue some people have with books like XMen Red, is as good as it is, people expect it to be an XMen book, so playing it as a pseudo Storm solo is a bit unfair. However, if Storm had a solo book that focused on her involvement on Arrako, then it's very clear by title that this is the aim of the book and all other characters are simply there to support the story. Storm is such a big character and has such weight that this in fact has been a criticism towards her during her run in both Black Panther and XMen Red. So the ground is already laid for her to have a solo. Similar stories can be told, but the focus can still remain on her. Also, Storm is a character that would do what is necessary whether that means acting alone or with others as long as it is for the good of those she protects.

Speaking of Wolverine, as much as you keep talking about Wolverine going off and alone, he too has a big place and responsibility in the X family. It wasn't too long ago where he was head of the Jean Grey academy or whatever it was called and the opposing viewpoint to Cyclops' more militant X-Men. However, even during this, he still managed to have a solo and even be apart of the Avengers I believe. This decision doesn't have much to do with his character as much as he's just been a popular figure that is used as much as possible to sell books. I feel, that Storm canonically would have even more reason than Wolverine to be featured in multiple books across the Marvel Universe due to her powers, and positive relationships with a wide variety of characters in the MU. Why wouldn't she be called upon by multiple heroes, and teams for assistance? Why would the X-Men oppose that? Why would this be in conflict with her character?
    Last edited by Sdawg; 04-07-2024 at 10:33 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    She needs a decent rogues gallery. She shares a lot of foes with the X-Men, but not too many personal rivalries that she hasn't become buddy-buddy with (and a lot of the general X-Men foes have also become heroes anyways. Magneto, Juggernaut, etc.)

Her Omega status mutant powers are also pretty nebulous. If she was just "controls Earth weather," it would be fine (tosses lighting bolts, can make it rain, snow etc.) But then they go and give her cosmic powers so she can control solar winds and storms, electromagnetic fields, control the air in people's lungs, breathe underwater, etc. She also has the potential to wield magic because, why not? She's simply too powerful to be challenged by most of the popular Marvel villains (Doc Ock, Sabertooth, Red Skull, Kingpin, etc.) So that just leaves cosmic level villains, and how many times has Silver Surfer been cancelled now?
    This hasn't been an issue for Thor or Hulk though and they have been running solo for years.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sdawg View Post
    I think the difference here is your definition of solo. Your definition seems to be a book where the protagonist does everything alone. Some solos may in fact execute in this fashion but not all. A solo can also simply be a book driven by the story and conflicts of the protagonist. It can have multiple characters involved but the focus is almost always on the main hero. The issue some people have with books like XMen Red, is as good as it is, people expect it to be an XMen book, so playing it as a pseudo Storm solo is a bit unfair. However, if Storm had a solo book that focused on her involvement on Arrako, then it's very clear by title that this is the aim of the book and all other characters are simply there to support the story. Storm is such a big character and has such weight that this in fact has been a criticism towards her during her run in both Black Panther and XMen Red. So the ground is already laid for her to have a solo. Similar stories can be told, but the focus can still remain on her. Also, Storm is a character that would do what is necessary whether that means acting alone or with others as long as it is for the good of those she protects.

Speaking of Wolverine, as much as you keep talking about Wolverine going off and alone, he too has a big place and responsibility in the X family. It wasn't too long ago where he was head of the Jean Grey academy or whatever it was called and the opposing viewpoint to Cyclops' more militant X-Men. However, even during this, he still managed to have a solo and even be apart of the Avengers I believe. This decision doesn't have much to do with his character as much as he's just been a popular figure that is used as much as possible to sell books. I feel, that Storm canonically would have even more reason than Wolverine to be featured in multiple books across the Marvel Universe due to her powers, and positive relationships with a wide variety of characters in the MU. Why wouldn't she be called upon by multiple heroes, and teams for assistance? Why would the X-Men oppose that? Why would this be in conflict with her character?
    Woah first off I am arguing that Storm should have a supporting cast in any solo she is in, it's other people who seem upset with the idea she shouldn't be a pure soloist. My posts that sounds like they are criticisms are about the idea of her going out as a solo act. I like what she has going on in X-Men Red and I think it should continue: a cast of characters there to work with her but in reality she is doing all the heavy lifting, while not being bogged down with the drama of the rest of the X-Men. And like in the Magneto mini she goes solo because she has to. They do not need to abandon that formula, it's working great.

As for that Wolverine era you speak of, that was when she was married to BP (she got divorced at the end of Avengers vs. X-Men). She was in multiple books outside the X-Men. But because of her movie rights she was buried since Fox owned those at the time. She ended up back on the X-Men exclusively and we got stuck in a situation where a lot of bridges were unnecessarily burned. Hypothetically she could go back to something like that but I'd rather she stuck with Arrako. Any team book she joins should be in space, not on Earth.
    Last edited by Zoks; 04-07-2024 at 11:00 PM.

Fantastic Member

Depends on how you define "solo". If you mean a book similar to X-Men Red where she is surrounded by a strong supporting cast and worthwhile villains, then yeah she can. If you mean her running around doing solo adventures like the Hulk or Wolverine then no.
    I see your original statement. I agree with the first statement. The second statement I disagree with but I can understand why you would say so. My biggest reason for being against the second statement is like the Hulk or Wolverine, Storm has a life beyond the XMen as well and has conflict or issues that may be more personal and does not need to involve the XMen. These could develop her character on a more personal level. Actually, a good solo for Storm, IMO, would involve both types of story lines.

Fantastic Member

As for that Wolverine era you speak of, that was when she was married to BP (she got divorced at the end of Avengers vs. X-Men). She was in multiple books outside the X-Men. But because of her movie rights she was buried since Fox owned those at the time. She ended up back on the X-Men exclusively and we got stuck in a situation where a lot of bridges were unnecessarily burned. Hypothetically she could go back to something like that but I'd rather she stuck with Arrako. Any team book she joins should be in space, not on Earth.
    As for this, why are you talking about Storm. The reason I pointed this out about Wolverine was because you kept mentioning how Storm's importance and involvement with the XMen could hamper her ability to work solo. I was using Wolverine during this era to show that despite his deep involvement in the XMen plot he still managed to solo on his own.

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post

There's a whole planet of untapped potential in Arrako. She could feud with Genesis or Tarn again or a new character. Red was very well received and a lot of the characters that came out of Arrako are extremely powerful and could present a challenge. I will say that her power level has gotten crazy high, so she needs some one that can match it or at least challenge her.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

Fantastic Member

As for this, why are you talking about Storm. The reason I pointed this out about Wolverine was because you kept mentioning how Storm's importance and involvement with the XMen could hamper her ability to work solo. I was using Wolverine during this era to show that despite his deep involvement in the XMen plot he still managed to solo on his own.
    Oh I was pointing out she was once exactly in that situation you want her to be in (she was on the Avengers, in Black Panther, and the Fantastic Four while sort of on the X-Men), it's just Marvel destroyed it for her because they didn't have her movie rights. We could have already had enough ground lain out for her to have had a traditional solo years ago. At least now she has X-Men Red to launch off from. My only problem with that is she won't get a chance to bring in fans from outside the X-fandom.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Ablaze View Post
    And this is another reason. Why people do not want to read a solo Book with Storm.

People do NOT like the Mohawk. Her Current hairstyle for X-Men Red and RoM is absolutely Gorgeous.

But NOBODY likes Storm with her Bald cut Mohawk.

Speak for yourself and not for others. I do like it a lot. Actually I LOVE the mohawk more than any of her other styles. So Nobody is a wrong assumption, as I am somebody and I adore mohawk Storm.

'just saying' :-P
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

Fantastic Member

Oh I was pointing out she was once exactly in that situation you want her to be in (she was on the Avengers, in Black Panther, and the Fantastic Four while sort of on the X-Men), it's just Marvel destroyed it for her because they didn't have her movie rights. We could have already had enough ground lain out for her to have had a traditional solo years ago. At least now she has X-Men Red to launch off from. My only problem with that is she won't get a chance to bring in fans from outside the X-fandom.
    Oh I didn't mention this as something I wanted. I brought this up when you mentioned her appearing in different comics around the marvel verse as a necessary step for setting up her solo.

"To have a successful solo that last years she'd need to leave the X-Men while joining another book with a story that has Marvel-wide implications." -Your statement (sorry don't know how to do mulitple quotes)

I don't think it's a bad thing of course, and I agree that era was not a good era for Storm due to the movie rights situation. I do think that Red sets her up nicely, and she has been featured in important ways in other stories such as Thor's recent story, Scarlet Witch, and recognized as a powerful figure in the Knull event. I believe with her own solo it may be even easier to feature her as a more important character in crossover events as well, which could serve to bring her to more fans.
    Last edited by Sdawg; 04-08-2024 at 03:26 AM.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

This hasn't been an issue for Thor or Hulk though and they have been running solo for years.
    Most of the time they physically fight their foes though. So many of you fail to grasp that physical fighters are much easier to write than powers like Storms. Like someone said she has ridiculous powers but can get taken out by one lucky goon with a gun so she has to be a distance fighter, and distance fighters are boring. All Omega level mutants have the same problem in they are just too powerful so if they are written with the abilities they have been shown to have they are nearly unstoppable, and if they aren't then you have fans screaming they nerfed them.

The whole concept of Omega level honeslty should just be thrown in the trash and never mentioned again because it just lazy writers thinking they are doing something cool.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Unfortunately most Marvel books in general aren't lasting past 24 issues these days. We see big name characters getting reboots regularly now. But I agree with the posters that said they just need to keep giving Storm a chance even if that means a few relaunches like other characters get.
    I read somewhere that one of the "different publication models" they've been considering is a series of 10-12 issues limited series similar to what Orlando has been doing with Scarlet Witch. I can see that working for Storm. Without the added pressure of one writer crafting a story that will (has to/must) continue for 50+ issues...and quite frankly not many current writers have the ability to craft their stories like a Claremont or Larry Hama...they can focus on telling a very focused finite tale in a pre-set number of books in subsequent volumes.

Regardless the intended length or the writers on-board...The trick really is to be fully invested, consistent and respectful, to the character, her story and her history. Similar to what Lord Ewing has done for her.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Most of the time they physically fight their foes though. So many of you fail to grasp that physical fighters are much easier to write than powers like Storms. Like someone said she has ridiculous powers but can get taken out by one lucky goon with a gun so she has to be a distance fighter, and distance fighters are boring. All Omega level mutants have the same problem in they are just too powerful so if they are written with the abilities they have been shown to have they are nearly unstoppable, and if they aren't then you have fans screaming they nerfed them.

The whole concept of Omega level honeslty should just be thrown in the trash and never mentioned again because it just lazy writers thinking they are doing something cool.
    No they arent. Most of the X-men's most interesting characters are distanced fighters

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I read somewhere that one of the "different publication models" they've been considering is a series of 10-12 issues limited series similar to what Orlando has been doing with Scarlet Witch. I can see that working for Storm. Without the added pressure of one writer crafting a story that will (has to/must) continue for 50+ issues...and quite frankly not many current writers have the ability to craft their stories like a Claremont or Larry Hama...they can focus on telling a very focused finite tale in a pre-set number of books in subsequent volumes.

Regardless the intended length or the writers on-board...The trick really is to be fully invested, consistent and respectful, to the character, her story and her history. Similar to what Lord Ewing has done for her.

And thats an interesting point with Wanda bc marvel seems committed to giving her solos right now and she's arguably more powerful than Storm. And of course as mentioned, Captain Marvel always has one which is why I also dont buy that notion that the character needs to be primarily melee based
    Last edited by Havok83; 04-08-2024 at 09:45 AM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Storm is one of those characters that has been written to acclimate to her foes. She can switch between close-range and distant engagement as needed and doesn't have to depend on one or the other. That range of abilities and skill could afford her any number of interesting stories and antagonists...as we've seen recently under Lord Ewing's pen. (Thank the Goddess his view of her wasn't so one-note and limiting).

There could be stories that involve big feats and others that require hand-to-hand and no feats at all. The writer just has to be imaginative.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 04-08-2024 at 10:06 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!