View Poll Results: Is Storm able to carry her own solo ongoing book for multiple years?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes? (How or why?)

50 48.54%
  • No (Why not?)

53 51.46%
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Ilargi View Post
    Red was basically Storm's solo, so I think she can. It also depends on the story you want to tell about her.
    Yeah, Red was a great test run. Obviously epic and mythical is the way to go for her, Wonder Woman meets Miyazaki. The visuals need to serve as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Ablaze View Post
    Marvel would rather take their Chances on Spider-Woman, Captain Marvel and the Scarlet Witch than to give Storm a solo.

Because apparently those Women seem to sell more than Storm.
    ...but they ARE giving Storm and Jean solos in the relaunch. I think Marvel has actually pivoted to pushing their two biggest classic heroines after The Marvels floppage.

Captain Marvel is not even a part of the Marvel Rivals game, while Storm and Scarlet Witch are.

LOL @ people saying her power set is too big for a solo when Superman has been leading his own comic since the Roosevelt administration.

But yes, Storm could carry her own solo. There's enough in her arsenal as far as personality, her relationships, her skills and her ties to the greater Marvel Universe to come up with interesting stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Primal Slayer View Post
    Could she? probably.

But she's a female. And a black female at that. It's going to be 10x harder for her to carry a solo and you need a STRONG creative team behind her and a strong promotional push.
    That's what it always boils down to. Always gotta be twice as good.

Other than the really BIG solo characters like Spidey, Batman, Superman etc. every character needs a strong creative team and big promotional push for their book. I don't see why it's thought of a tall ask to do it for Storm when Marvel does so for other characters they want to push and it often doesn't work out (cough, Carol, cough).

In fact, they should be encouraged to invest even more in Ororo and Jean as they are the biggest bets they've always had to rival a Wonder Woman.

Storm was at her most popular, by far, in the period when when she was de-powered. Why? The whole Mutant 'Goddess', or 'weather witch' thing is a turnoff to a lot of fans.

I don't think it's the nature of her powers, or even how powerful she is, it's things like the cringe-worthy dialogue she often uses especially when using her powers.

"I summon the winds!" No, you're just using your mutant powers, not casting a spell. Imagine Wolverine saying 'I summon my claws!' every time he pops them, think what that would do to his popularity.

Write Storm like a powerful human being and she would have more fans, unfortunately that's the opposite presentation that a lot of the diehards in her fanbase want for her.
    Become an Iceman Dragonian...

Quote Originally Posted by Icefanatic View Post
    Storm was at her most popular, by far, in the period when when she was de-powered. Why? The whole Mutant 'Goddess', or 'weather witch' thing is a turnoff to a lot of fans.

I don't think it's the nature of her powers, or even how powerful she is, it's things like the cringe-worthy dialogue she often uses especially when using her powers.

"I summon the winds!" No, you're just using your mutant powers, not casting a spell. Imagine Wolverine saying 'I summon my claws!' every time he pops them, think what that would do to his popularity.

Write Storm like a powerful human being and she would have more fans, unfortunately that's the opposite presentation that a lot of the diehards in her fanbase want for her.
    None of this seems fact-based, including "Storm was at her most popular, by far, in the period when when she was de-powered". She was even more popular in the 90s when she won the poll against Wonder Woman in DC vs. Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by Android 17 View Post
    LOL @ people saying her power set is too big for a solo when Superman has been leading his own comic since the Roosevelt administration.

But yes, Storm could carry her own solo. There's enough in her arsenal as far as personality, her relationships, her skills and her ties to the greater Marvel Universe to come up with interesting stories.

That's what it always boils down to. Always gotta be twice as good.
    Tbh this and there's Thor who literally has her powers and is a god lol

What fans were turned off and who said her dialogue when using her powers was cringe? All of this is a matter of taste, but just because it didn't work for you, doesn't mean others don't want to see it. No one complains when in the heat of battle, Beast is out there quoting soliloquies.

It's not the greatest barometer of success, but hell Storm set social media on fire with that "Ancient sands heed my command!" line a few weeks ago. Let her be dramatic and be the Weather Witch/goddess she was intended to be.

What fans were turned off and who said her dialogue when using her powers was cringe? All of this is a matter of taste, but just because it didn't work for you, doesn't mean others don't want to see it. No one complains when in the heat of battle, Beast is out there quoting soliloquies.

It's not the greatest barometer of success, but hell Storm set social media on fire with that "Ancient sands heed my command!" line a few weeks ago. Let her be dramatic and be the Weather Witch/goddess she was intended to be.
    Right. "Relics of hatred" SLAPPED. Trask's team has still not been able to bring the Sentinels back online after she so thoroughly shut them down with THAT description.

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    ...but they ARE giving Storm and Jean solos in the relaunch. I think Marvel has actually pivoted to pushing their two biggest classic heroines after The Marvels floppage.

Captain Marvel is not even a part of the Marvel Rivals game, while Storm and Scarlet Witch are.
    You are correct.

However, it all hinges upon the Writer and how GOOD they are able to convey an interesting Story with Storm. It's going to be hard to Top Al Ewing.

I fear this Storm solo is going to tank yet again because NOBODY is interested in a Book where Storm is just a Congress Woman.

Marvel once again has set Storm up for failure.
    Last edited by Cyclone_Ablaze; 04-05-2024 at 01:42 PM.
    #StormNeverDied
    #BindingLightOFAyesha!!!
    #AsgardianStorm
    #AlEwingbestStormWriter

In Ororo's Name....Let the Wormhole Open!!
    Ororo Munro: Regent of Arakko, Holder of the Seat of Loss, Omega Level Mutant, Goddess of Balance.

A lot of fans have been saying that kind of dialogue is cringe for decades. Quoting Shakespeare isn't cringe, it may be inappropriate, but I don't think people actually wince when he does it.

Like I said, her diehards mostly love that stuff and that's great, and by all means let that be her characters defining (but also most often mocked) trait. But also don't complain when it keeps her from connecting with a larger potential audience.
    Become an Iceman Dragonian...

I like Storm's dialogue. It reminds me of a certain armored dictator of a small european country who occasionaly speaks in third person though I understand tastes can differ.

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

A lot of fans have been saying that kind of dialogue is cringe for decades. Quoting Shakespeare isn't cringe, it may be inappropriate, but I don't think people actually wince when he does it.

Like I said, her diehards mostly love that stuff and that's great, and by all means let that be her characters defining (but also most often mocked) trait. But also don't complain when it keeps her from connecting with a larger potential audience.
    That is not True at all. Her Dialogue is one of the many reasons she was so popular in the TV show.

If there are any fans who think her Dialogue is cringe it's defiantly a small group.
    #StormNeverDied
    #BindingLightOFAyesha!!!
    #AsgardianStorm
    #AlEwingbestStormWriter

In Ororo's Name....Let the Wormhole Open!!
    Ororo Munro: Regent of Arakko, Holder of the Seat of Loss, Omega Level Mutant, Goddess of Balance.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I think it could work but, aside from a great creative team, it needs Marvel to believe in it and let it find its audience. At the same time, while I understand the book should stand on its own, it gets tricky if the target audience think it won't "matter" in the larger X-Men universe context and it's entirely skippable.

So far we haven't heard anything about possible creative teams for the Storm book but we did hear that Stephanie Phillips could possibly be writing Phoenix... I hate to be a hater but if that's the level of commitment from Marvel in terms of talent for the new solos, based on the very poor Gambit & Rogue mini, then it sounds like they're just throwing stuff at the wall to see what sticks rather than being committed to making them successful.
    Last edited by Uncanny X-Man; 04-05-2024 at 01:54 PM.

Fantastic Member

Depends on how you define "solo". If you mean a book similar to X-Men Red where she is surrounded by a strong supporting cast and worthwhile villains, then yeah she can. If you mean her running around doing solo adventures like the Hulk or Wolverine then no.