View Poll Results: Is Storm able to carry her own solo ongoing book for multiple years?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes? (How or why?)

50 48.54%
  • No (Why not?)

53 51.46%
Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

View Post
    Thor and Hulk fighting physically does not make it any less challenging to write them well as they are still both enormously powerful and have to fight villains who are actually physically capable of fighting them, which aren't many. Actually, your statement should make it easier to write Storm as, from a physical standpoint, there are more characters capable of physically fighting her than either Thor or Hulk. So why is that more challenging?
    Because we need a villain that Storm HAS to fight up close, is durable enough to take multiple lighting strikes, and is so weak they can't do any real damage to a woman with normal human durability. I'm having a hard time thinking of anyone like that.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hakka84 View Post
    The question is. Would Storm fans accept to see her being a only a physical fighter / involved with not-uberpowered threats?

[filter off] (behind the spoil so you can ignore if you think you might get offended)
    spoilers:

I'm sorry to say it, but I steer away from Storm's thread because most of the times I dare to dip in to lurk the discussion is about her powers and feats and how majestic and powerful is. I'm willing to admit it it might be a wrong impression of mine, but I always get the feeling Storm's fans are interested in seeing her always at the top (Omega mutant, goddess, witch, H2H fighter - whatever), that they always advocate for her to reach a new power level that fans think Storm is entitled to reach (and they perceive it a slight to Ororo that the authors haven't written it so far). Again, my impression. But I swear, I get this feeling only in Storm's thread.

A solo works if the readers are willing to see the main character beaten and placed against all odds (to then fight back). But if you clamour in every page how much awesome is Ororo, and how much powerful is as a mutant, how much a powerful goddess she is, how much proficient in magic she is... how could you accept that such a perfect character can meed hurdles?
    It's telling that those who in this thread claim that Storm could/should carry a solo call for Thanos and such as her foes.
    end of spoilers
    [/filter on]

Said this. Under the right pen even God himself could carry a solo.
    I mean. *points to Hell's Angel/Dark Angel from Marvel UK - I've been exploring it in these days and that character was so, so overpowered it hurts to even read the comic*

Don't make me speak, please. Let's just say that we have evidence that at times authors miss even the blaring, founding characteristics/stories of main characters. (I can bring two examples only with Warren, once happened in Krakoa so there's no "it was the x0s there wasn't Wiki" excuse - I'm pretty sure to any other character this happened at least once)

I respect your opinion and I have to say, it's an appreciation thread, what else are they supposed to do but appreciate and build up the character they like. Yes, at times it can be obnoxious lol. And let's not act like the converse isn't true outside of the thread where people constantly talk about how Storm can't do this or shouldn't be able to do that even when it is canonically written just because they don't want her to lol. As a Storm fan myself, I don't think it's impossible to write her as powerful, and as vulnerable all at the same time. Claremont did this multiple times in building the character that we currently love. Ewing brought respect back to her name after years of her laying around like carpet in every single important arc.

To answer your first question as a Storm fan, why must it be one or the other? Why can't she be a physical fighter and powerful? Again it's not like we don't have blueprints with other popular male heroes.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Because we need a villain that Storm HAS to fight up close, is durable enough to take multiple lighting strikes, and is so weak they can't do any real damage to a woman with normal human durability. I'm having a hard time thinking of anyone like that.
    It's not that hard. She just faced Nameless, Genesis, Tarn, and Death who would all fit that bill to varying degrees. I would consider Isca a possibility too. There is also the possibility of allowing Storm to use her powers to enhance her physical durability, much like those with TK abilities, or even take an elemental form (ala Iceman or Emma Frost's Diamond Form) to make it possible to physically fight more hardy opponents. But I can already hear the complaints in the back about how this would make her way too powerful etc.

If being omega limits Storm's story artificially, limit the story proactively as a writer by just making her not want to use her powers on the type of foe she's fighting.

I have a fear that sprouting up a whole original cast and multiple original villains is (royalty-wise) not going to be something towards which modern Marvel writers are going to give their all.
    So hopefully the other offices in Marvel play nice with the X-Office and not be territorial with their extended casts. If the Spider-Editor doesn't mind, maybe Storm can fight Electro, Hydro-Man, etc.

Combining both of those points (street-level + existing IP):
    -------------------------------------------------------------------
    Have her hang out in NYC somewhere with Daredevil or Luke Cage for a short arc just whooping ass with a stick or a knife.
    Have her and Moon Knight go fight Dracula.
    Do more with the Morlock storyline, which post-Krakoa needs a bow on it.
    Do a GL/GA-style arc where she's fighting drugs or cops or homelessness.
    Do Lifedeath IV (or whatever number we are on by now).
    Last edited by Criticalfan; 04-09-2024 at 07:40 AM.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

It's a good thing we are relying on actual professional writers with some imagination and creativity. Because left up to some a Storm solo would have to be either all-powerful Goddess or street-level fighter...apparently there's no room for both. And If any writer thinks that, well...a Storm solo will never make it past the first issue.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 04-09-2024 at 09:30 AM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Sdawg View Post
    It's not that hard. She just faced Nameless, Genesis, Tarn, and Death who would all fit that bill to varying degrees. I would consider Isca a possibility too. There is also the possibility of allowing Storm to use her powers to enhance her physical durability, much like those with TK abilities, or even take an elemental form (ala Iceman or Emma Frost's Diamond Form) to make it possible to physically fight more hardy opponents. But I can already hear the complaints in the back about how this would make her way too powerful etc.
    I think that's the crux of some of these off-base opinions. They don't want to see a female character written that powerful, for some reason it makes certain persons uncomfortable...so they find every excuse they can think of to limit her.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member Cyclone_Ablaze's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    Speak for yourself and not for others. I do like it a lot. Actually I LOVE the mohawk more than any of her other styles. So Nobody is a wrong assumption, as I am somebody and I adore mohawk Storm.

'just saying' :-P
    You are the only person that disagreed. And the Entire Storm Fanbase doesn't like the Mohawk so I do speak for others.

Just saying :-p
    #StormNeverDied
    #BindingLightOFAyesha!!!
    #AsgardianStorm
    #AlEwingbestStormWriter

In Ororo's Name....Let the Wormhole Open!!
    Ororo Munro: Regent of Arakko, Holder of the Seat of Loss, Omega Level Mutant, Goddess of Balance.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Ablaze View Post
    You are the only person that disagreed. And the Entire Storm Fanbase doesn't like the Mohawk so I do speak for others.

Just saying :-p
    You certainly speak for me.

I've had ENOUGH of that fucking mohawk.

And me. I absolutely loved it. But...
    It had its time and updated moments way back then. I want to see something new, different and in-keeping with her Black Womanhood.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I read somewhere that one of the "different publication models" they've been considering is a series of 10-12 issues limited series similar to what Orlando has been doing with Scarlet Witch.
    IMO, all sorts of books should work that way. Writers usually only have a set story they want to tell with a character, a specific beat they want to explore, and fairly often it seems that they get roped into contracts that last longer than they had ideas for, and then the run starts to get a little wobbly as the writer, stuck writing for a character they no longer have a concrete plan for, starts throwing stuff at the wall...

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I think that's the crux of some of these off-base opinions. They don't want to see a female character written that powerful, for some reason it makes certain persons uncomfortable...so they find every excuse they can think of to limit her.
    Oh nonsense. People have been giving real reason why she is hard to write as a solo character and your are dismissing them all out of hand with "she just needs a good writer" bull and the old "it sexism" excuse. Marvel has had many many many good writers over the years and they are desperate for a flagship female character. If they thought she could carry a solo they would move heaven and earth to do so. Why do you think they keep giving Captain Marvel book after failed book?

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    Oh nonsense. People have been giving real reason why she is hard to write as a solo character and your are dismissing them all out of hand with "she just needs a good writer" bull and the old "it sexism" excuse. Marvel has had many many many good writers over the years and they are desperate for a flagship female character. If they thought she could carry a solo they would move heaven and earth to do so. Why do you think they keep giving Captain Marvel book after failed book?
    Just as others myself included have been giving real reasons why it should be easy to write her as a solo character...(Lord Ewing a "good writer" has been doing that pretty much since SWORD)...but those are being dismissed for...reasons that are very limiting rather than insightful.

Fantastic Member

Just as others myself included have been giving real reasons why it should be easy to write her as a solo character...(Lord Ewing a "good writer" has been doing that pretty much since SWORD)...but those are being dismissed for...reasons that are very limiting rather than insightful.
    No they aren't limiting they are reality. Storm's race and gender had nothing to do for why she was buried, it was always her movie rights. They started to bury her (and all the other X-Men) right around when the Avenger movies started to become huge hits. Why else would Marvel waste time pushing other female leads when you can just use the women from the X-Franchise?

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by D.Z View Post
    Not every editor and writer knows everything, and as time goes on it's impossible for most to remember it all.
    Agree. Only correct take.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoks View Post
    No they aren't limiting they are reality. Storm's race and gender had nothing to do for why she was buried, it was always her movie rights. They started to bury her (and all the other X-Men) right around when the Avenger movies started to become huge hits. Why else would Marvel waste time pushing other female leads when you can just use the women from the X-Franchise?
    I never made any such claims. I know, as much as anyone else has speculated, why her popularity waned back then. We're not taking about then. We're talking about now, 2024. Where Lord Ewing has actually written her exceptionally well over the past few years and with depth and as three-dimensional as Claremont did back in the day. So there really is no excuse that she cannot carry a solo book given a good writer and art team with a solid premise.

So far every argument against it overlooks those factors in lieu of: "She's too powerful" "She works better in a team/leader setting" "She needs new Rogues" all quite limiting excuses...and ignoring everything that she's done recently.

I get some readers don't like her...for whatever reason (that yes, may or may not include inherent sexism)...and that's okies. There is no rule book that says we have to love or even like every X-character. I certainly don't. But don't act as though she isn't worthy of the opportunity.