View Poll Results: Is Storm able to carry her own solo ongoing book for multiple years?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes? (How or why?)

50 48.54%
  • No (Why not?)

53 51.46%
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Ablaze View Post
    Marvel would rather take their Chances on Spider-Woman, Captain Marvel and the Scarlet Witch than to give Storm a solo.

Because apparently those Women seem to sell more than Storm.
    You forgot She-Hulk and Ms. Marvel

Quote Originally Posted by Icefanatic View Post
    Storm was at her most popular, by far, in the period when when she was de-powered. Why? The whole Mutant 'Goddess', or 'weather witch' thing is a turnoff to a lot of fans.

I don't think it's the nature of her powers, or even how powerful she is, it's things like the cringe-worthy dialogue she often uses especially when using her powers.

"I summon the winds!" No, you're just using your mutant powers, not casting a spell. Imagine Wolverine saying 'I summon my claws!' every time he pops them, think what that would do to his popularity.

Write Storm like a powerful human being and she would have more fans, unfortunately that's the opposite presentation that a lot of the diehards in her fanbase want for her.
    Ben says "It's Clobbering Time!" and Johnny says, "Flame on!" ad nauseam. Storm in the comics actually doesn't do that sort of thing that often, it was TAS Storm who really went that route. In the comics we had those flowery captions doing that part, but in the cartoon, they gave it to Storm as lines.

Honestly, while punk Storm was great, I don't think that was her 'most popular' form. It was a great period of storytelling for her, but I think she was popular from jump as the sexy nudist weather goddess. And it was post TAS Storm that beat Wonder Woman in a popularity vote for Marvel vs. DC. So, no, I think powered Storm is where it's at.

That said, I do think seeing a powerful black woman is threatening/emasculating to certain segments of the population, a segment that does perhaps encompass a large part of the comic book buying population. So in that regard you may be on to something. But in this day and age, I think a Storm book that highlights her as a powerful black woman, and as a sexy nature goddess, and a feisty knife fighter, all at once, would garner enough support from a wide enough audience to work. We need 'four quadrant' Storm. "Barbenheimer" Storm. One part MCU's Black Panther(black excellence), one part Kardashians(cheesecake), one part Greta Thunberg(environmental/social justice warrior), one part Beyonce(pop diva).
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

I like Storm being a drama GODDESS not everyone needs to be a mcu quip machine

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclone_Ablaze View Post
    Marvel would rather take their Chances on Spider-Woman, Captain Marvel and the Scarlet Witch than to give Storm a solo.

Because apparently those Women seem to sell more than Storm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    You forgot She-Hulk and Ms. Marvel
    Ms. Marvel I'd put in the same vein as Storm. I'm not familiar with Spider-Woman but yeah, Scarlet Witch and She-Hulk probably aren't selling that well considering they've gotten relaunched fairly recently. I don't know, its possible Carol is that popular since she hit the 50's on her previous run.

I wonder how much of an issue being an X-character is. Is it easier to slide them into an X-book if the solo doesn't do well than to slide them into an Avenger's book?

Considering how tied to the uber popular MCU Carol, Wanda, and She-Hulk are, having been in blockbuster films and D+ shows, I think their comic book sales are quite pathetic. But that comes back to the books needing great writing and art teams, at the minimum. I guess Duggan's books prove mediocre writing can work with the right characters on the page, under a legacy banner of "X-Men", but in terms of solo projects, if you're not Wolverine or Deadpool(who are quasi-immortal tough guys with lots of base violence, lowest common denominator stuff), it's a much harder sell.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by yogaflame View Post
    Considering how tied to the uber popular MCU Carol, Wanda, and She-Hulk are, having been in blockbuster films and D+ shows, I think their comic book sales are quite pathetic. But that comes back to the books needing great writing and art teams, at the minimum.
    What do you think of Ms. Marvel sales? Pretty decent for a legacy heroine who's non-white and a Muslim?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoks View Post
    Depends on how you define "solo". If you mean a book similar to X-Men Red where she is surrounded by a strong supporting cast and worthwhile villains, then yeah she can. If you mean her running around doing solo adventures like the Hulk or Wolverine then no.
    I don't know if a book similar to X-Men Red but with Storm name in the title would sell enough to not be canceled fast. My guess is that wouldn't. That X-Men brand in the title helps a lot and even with the X-Men name the book was not doing that great in sales.

I think If this new Storm ongoing pass through number 12 I will be surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by X-Logan View Post
    No, She can't. Marvel has already tried and failed not only with her but also with every single one of the most famous x-men. The truth is that there is only character of the entire x-franchise (you know who,right?) that IS capable of that.

Or two if you considered Deadpool.
    Three with Cable. Which is clearly a pattern.

Considering how tied to the uber popular MCU Carol, Wanda, and She-Hulk are, having been in blockbuster films and D+ shows, I think their comic book sales are quite pathetic. But that comes back to the books needing great writing and art teams, at the minimum. I guess Duggan's books prove mediocre writing can work with the right characters on the page, under a legacy banner of "X-Men", but in terms of solo projects, if you're not Wolverine or Deadpool(who are quasi-immortal tough guys with lots of base violence, lowest common denominator stuff), it's a much harder sell.
    IMO its not fair to say the sales are pathetic, at this point I think there's enough evidence to say that the movies/shows don't really move the needle for the comics. I don't know if having good writing and art is enough as it seems like there are solo's that struggle even with those.

Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    What do you think of Ms. Marvel sales? Pretty decent for a legacy heroine who's non-white and a Muslim?
    Ms. Marvel benefited from a perfect storm of timing and corporate push. It's an interesting counter-point to overall trends, though; you're right to point it out. As a more youth-oriented, girl next door sort of character, more in the vein of a Spider-Man archetype, she is almost antithetical to Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by RAWRlrus View Post
    IMO its not fair to say the sales are pathetic, at this point I think there's enough evidence to say that the movies/shows don't really move the needle for the comics. I don't know if having good writing and art is enough as it seems like there are solo's that struggle even with those.
    It's true that movies and such don't necessarily translate to comics sales. The MCU's success is unparalleled, and yet Tony, Cap, Thor, and Avengers books did not really skyrocket in concert with their film domination. Black Panther is an interesting case. Debuting after Civil War, Coates's book had a huge #1, but over the course of the series sales fell precipitously. I would say that's because no one who saw BP in Civil War wanted to read stories about rape camps and Wakanda as an intergalactic slave empire. So, story does matter, even if the zeitgeist is with you.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

No, she needs others to make her shine.

Besides Laura, there has never been a successful solo female X-Men series.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

It's true that movies and such don't necessarily translate to comics sales. The MCU's success is unparalleled, and yet Tony, Cap, Thor, and Avengers books did not really skyrocket in concert with their film domination. Black Panther is an interesting case. Debuting after Civil War, Coates's book had a huge #1, but over the course of the series sales fell precipitously. I would say that's because no one who saw BP in Civil War wanted to read stories about rape camps and Wakanda as an intergalactic slave empire. So, story does matter, even if the zeitgeist is with you.
    I don't pay much attention to BP, how many issues did that one last? You bring up an interesting point with Coates and previous posts about Wolverine and Deadpool. Is the real issue name recognition (either character or writer)? Poison Ivy was a huge success (originally a mini but turned into an ongoing) but G. Willow Wilson is a pretty big name I feel. Most of the other characters (either DC or Marvel) that have had successful solos have either been big names or had big name writers if not both.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    Yes, she can. She just needs a strong creative team and a cohesive vision. Her last few solos have been unremarkable, and unremarkable won't sell for a female-led solo title sadly. But look at how beloved X-Men Red has been with Storm at the forefront.
    All This, exactatiously. Especially the bolded. And underlined for emphasis.

I hope the writer and artist who Brevoort has lined up for her upcoming solo understands that part. (Same goes for the Phoenix solo)
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Don't think so. Wish it were otherwise. Really hope they keep trying though.
    “After all, it could only cost you your life, and you got that for free!”
    ~*Earthbound.