Default X-Men Unlimited #134 - Fall of X #14 - Review/Spoilers

We open in Gideon's penthouse in Chicago, Solem smiling, ready to fight Gideon and Burke. Gideon asks Burke if there's any chance Solem would accept a nice, civil bribe but Solem says a precog isn't needed to answer that question. He throws a sword at Gideon so they can have a fair sword fight. Gideon catches it and immediately lunges at Solem.

Several floors below Shatterstar has teleported into the building with Sunspot and Trinary. Shatterstar is impressed by Trinary's idea to use her digital avatar as an anchor for him to teleport. He compliments her thinking.

Trinary is already checking out the servers. She says it's one of the most sophisticated operations she's ever seen but that she'll just need five minutes to access it. She starts sending data to Wiz-Kid who says Gideon's servers are a treasure trove. To fully unlock everything Taki says they'll need Gideon's DNA. At that same moment Solem cuts Gideon's face with his sword. As they fight Solem throws a dagger into Burke's chest. Burke pulls it out saying Solem missed his chest and that he'll need to do better. He's serious because he'd prefer to die, frankly.

Gideon lists different ways that Burke "died" only to return. Burke is like yeah well maybe Arakkii steel will do the trick this time. Gideon tries to guard Burke from Solem but in very awesomely drawn panels Solem flips over Gideon and lands behind Burke, stabbing him in the back and splitting his spine. Burke is like that hurts but I'm not gonna die. Gideon's skin turns adamantium to match Solem's skin.

Trinary tells Sunspot that she has scraped the servers as much as she can without Gideon's blood. She's about to suggest that Taki hack into the system but Sunspot says this is his responsibility, that he'll get what they need from Gideon. Solem's paid time is running out so Sunspot says he'll have to take over.

Solem pulls the sword out of Burke's back who doesn't look good, likely about to die. Solem says Burke's flesh has been most accommodating.

Gideon asks why Solem is even involving himself in all of this and Solem says for pleasure, wealth, and a favor owed to Sunspot. Sunspot appears. Gideon starts to say Roberto's full name but is cut off by a fist to the face thrown by Sunspot.

Let's go classic red mask! So it would appear Burke is out, for now anyway. Another fun chapter!
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member

The funniest part about all this is I think that actually, Solem allowing Gideon to buy him off with a bribe that outbids whatever Roberto already paid him would absolutely be in character.

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    The funniest part about all this is I think that actually, Solem allowing Gideon to buy him off with a bribe that outbids whatever Roberto already paid him would absolutely be in character.
    Yeah but he's less interested in money than fighting while flirting with an angry pompous jerk. (so maybe he will turn on Roberto after that XD )

Apart from a callback to the very early costume, is there a meaning to the mask ?

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

Is changing skin one of the powers of Gideon? I never saw that happening before. Or I must have never paid enough attention, perhaps.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================

Incredible Member

Great issue! They have been killing it.

Incredible Member

His power is kind of like Rogues. He can mimic others powers. He copied Solem’s power and made his skin adamantium.

Incredible Member

Back in Gideons first appearance and the External storyline he manipulated Susnpot and killed his father in the era when the red mask was Sunspots uniform. Sunspot was never able to really even the score for what was done to him. Seems he is symbolically putting it on as a callback to all of that to even the score once a for all.

Quote Originally Posted by OWL45 View Post
    Back in Gideons first appearance and the External storyline he manipulated Susnpot and killed his father in the era when the red mask was Sunspots uniform. Sunspot was never able to really even the score for what was done to him. Seems he is symbolically putting it on as a callback to all of that to even the score once a for all.
    Ah thanks !

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

So they had confrontations with Selene, Nicodemus, Absalom, Candra, Crule, Gideon, Burke (well, kind off), so who's next. I think we need only Saul to put up a fight, right? Then we've seen them all.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OWL45 View Post
    Thanks. The Steves are FIYAH!!! That's a deep cut. Literarily and literally.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Thanks. The Steves are FIYAH!!! That's a deep cut. Literarily and literally.
    Best book in the FoX era, by far.

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    We open in Gideon's penthouse in Chicago, Solem smiling, ready to fight Gideon and Burke. Gideon asks Burke if there's any chance Solem would accept a nice, civil bribe but Solem says a precog isn't needed to answer that question. He throws a sword at Gideon so they can have a fair sword fight. Gideon catches it and immediately lunges at Solem.

Several floors below Shatterstar has teleported into the building with Sunspot and Trinary.
    You had me at Trinary. I dont read these but reading her name makes me want to check it out now

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    You had me at Trinary. I dont read these but reading her name makes me want to check it out now
    This has honestly been a fantastic story. Trinary had some amazing moments last week especially. Definitely worth checking out from the beginning, issue #121. It's a 20-part story and we're getting close to the climax.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!