Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    A *lot* of people have photos of themselves with Weinstein and were chummy with him. It's hard to take it seriously as a secret sign that Oprah is a sadistic serial sex trafficer, which is the implication here.

Do yourself a favor and stop following youtube rabbit holes.

C'mon now.
    Just because Oprah wasn't the only one doesn't make it any less wrong as there had been talk for years. If you have read the rest of what I said she basically handwaved the whole thing until she herself was under scrutiny. I don't get your anger here. Celebrity aren't saints. And I have complete control of myself thank you very much. I won't be falling down any rabbit hole.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    I saw a video that claimed that when Mel Gibson called a cop "sugar ****", it was actually code for him eating babies.
    Or maybe I just dreamed that.
    I have no sympathy for Mel. He is an antisemite.

Extraordinary Member CaptainEurope's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Some people also hint that he might be Australian.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by From The Shadows View Post
    Is he? How do you know about that? I heard that before, but It could be a rumor, too.

And if he is, but wants to stop a sex traffic ring, does it really matter in this special case if he is an antisemite? Philosophical question.

Quote Originally Posted by DanMad1977 View Post
    Is he? How do you know about that? I heard that before, but It could be a rumor, too.

And if he is, but wants to stop a sex traffic ring, does it really matter in this special case if he is an antisemite? Philosophical question.
    I think the antisemite thing with Mel started when he got pulled over for that DUI and went on that antisemite rant to the police. I havnt heard anything other than that.
    This Post Contains No Artificial Intelligence. It Contains No Human Intelligence Either.

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I think the antisemite thing with Mel started when he got pulled over for that DUI and went on that antisemite rant to the police. I havnt heard anything other than that.
    He and his father have been parts of an extremist splinter group of Catholicism for decades, a group that holds deeply antisemitic believes.

Hutton Gibson, Extremist and Father of Mel Gibson, Dies at 101.

His anti-Semitic, anti-Vatican views gained notoriety after his son directed the controversial film, "The Passion of the Christ."

Hutton Gibson, a Roman Catholic traditionalist and outspoken critic of the modern church who gained wide notoriety as the father of the actor Mel Gibson and for his anti-Semitic views, died on May 11 in Thousand Oaks, Calif. He was 101.

His death, at Los Robles Hospital and Medical Center, was not publicized at the time. It was confirmed by a search of a California records database. Requests for information from several family members, including his son Mel, were not answered.

Hutton Gibson belonged to a splinter group of Catholics who reject the reforms of the Second Vatican Council of 1962-1965, known as Vatican II. These traditionalists seek to preserve centuries-old orthodoxy, especially the Tridentine Mass, the Latin Mass established in the 16th century. They operate their own chapels, schools and clerical orders apart from the Vatican and in opposition to it.

But even among these outsiders, Mr. Gibson, who had early in life attended a seminary before dropping out, was extreme in his views. He denied the legitimacy of John Paul II as pope, once calling him a "Koran Kisser," and said Vatican II had been "a Masonic plot backed by the Jews." He called Archbishop Marcel Lefebvre, a traditionalist leader until his death in 1991, a "compromiser." Mr. Gibson earned the nickname "Pope Gibson" for his outspoken, dogmatic opinions on faith.

After he...

MEL GIBSON AND HIS FATHER’S EXTREMIST VIEWS ARE QUESTIONED

Now, Mel Gibson is at the center of a storm that may be of his own making. As he was completing a film on the last 12 hours of the life of Christ, The New York Times Magazine published a March 9 cover story reporting that "The Passion" may reflect the radical Catholic view that Jews are collectively responsible for the death of Jesus.

The Times story delved into the "traditionalist" beliefs of Gibson and his father — and it quoted 85-year-old Hutton Gibson denying that the Holocaust occurred.

Scoffing at the notion that 6 million Jews died at the hands of the Nazis, the elder Gibson told the Times that the Holocaust was fabricated in order to hide a secret deal between Hitler and "financiers" to move Jews from Germany to the Middle East. And he dismissed the notion that Osama bin Laden was behind the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, saying the planes were crashed by "remote control."

The Times also reported that both Gibson men are Catholic "traditionalists" who reject the 1962-65 Vatican II reforms. (A key reform was the dropping of the doctrine that Jews are collectively responsible for Christ's murder.) And it said that Mel Gibson recently finished building a church near Malibu, Calif., that will cater to Catholic traditionalists. The story said that Gibson was the only benefactor of the church, giving a total of some $2.8 million.
    Last edited by CaptainEurope; 04-09-2024 at 06:08 AM.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tendrin View Post
    A *lot* of people have photos of themselves with Weinstein and were chummy with him. It's hard to take it seriously as a secret sign that Oprah is a sadistic serial sex trafficer, which is the implication here.

Do yourself a favor and stop following youtube rabbit holes.

C'mon now.
    Exactly this.

Weinstein was one of the most prolific figures in Hollywood film production history.

He was friends and/or associates with virtually every single major figure in the entertainment industry.

That's not to say that weren't rumors around him but if folks are doing guilt by association, then virtually every major figure in Hollywood is guilty.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainEurope View Post
    He and his father have been parts of an extremist splinter group of Catholicism for decades, a group that holds deeply antisemitic believes.

Hutton Gibson, Extremist and Father of Mel Gibson, Dies at 101.

MEL GIBSON AND HIS FATHER’S EXTREMIST VIEWS ARE QUESTIONED
    Yep, that's not to mention he asked if Wynona Ryder was a "jew" many years ago and went into a racist tirade against his girlfriend.

Gibson is pretty racist.

Astonishing Member

So we got that covered, too.

Gibson is (if he is) not driven by disgust of sex trafficking, he is just happy that the perpetrator is a black man. (P.Diddy) But then the rumors about Gibson working together with 50 Cent/Ice Cube and or Kat Williams are not true.

In the end it doesn't matter if Gibson is racist or an antisemit, if he can help in this special case.

Gibson is (if he is) not driven by disgust of sex trafficking, he is just happy that the perpetrator is a black man. (P.Diddy) But then the rumors about Gibson working together with 50 Cent/Ice Cube and or Kat Williams are not true.

In the end it doesn't matter if Gibson is racist or an antisemit, if he can help in this special case.
    Gibson has been an idol of the far right for decades, going back to Braveheart. Of course they come up with homoerotic fan fic about him and 50 Cent fighting evil pedophile liberals.

This might come of as harsh and I mean no offense to the OP, but this narrative of "What can we even believe now?", "The mainstream media is lying/keeping things from us, etc." ... This is how misinformation starts and how dictators and all sorts of not-really-nice people use the internet and the current era of media to their advantage.
    Yes, it is often hard to decide what to believe in the era of news coming nonstop at us from all sides. It is sometimes hard to even stay sane considering all of the terrible things that are happening. But please, let's remember that there are different standards for official media than for tabloids and social media. Social media can be a good thing when it comes to fandom stuff and finding a community, but it should not be trusted with the news. Serious journalists have to adhere to certain rules and standards, they have to verify their sources, so they can't always report everything immediately. We might see something circulating on social media for a long time before it is reported in some official newssite or in the TV news, but that is because they need to be sure it's correct. It might also be that the "news" are later proven to be false or deliberately misrepresented, but due to the nature of social media, it will already do significant damage. There are countless examples, like those photos supposedly from current warzones that turned out to be years old and from different countries.
    I get that we got used to getting all information at once and we might feel lost when we don't know something for certain, but please let's not feed the disinformation machine any more, it has already done so much damage.
    Is mainstream media perfect? No, nothing is perfect. They might report something inaccurate sometimes, but in those cases they correct themselves. Social media posts usually don't get corrected when they prove to be false. Please, let's have more faith in actual journalists who have studied this, have experience and are doing this as their jobs instead of some random usernames about whom we know nothing.

As for sexual harassment and violence - yes, it is a problem. Lots of people got away with it for a long time and I have no doubt that we have only seen the tip of the iceberg. Not just in the entertainment media. It is understandable that people are suspicious who else is still getting away with it. But accusing random people without evidence is not the way to go. Yes, media often doesn't report everything but that doesn't have to mean there is any conspiracy. People who make serious accusations (as in, personally putting their own name out there, either to police or to the media) have to be careful, because they know they will be attacked regardless of whether it proves to be true. They are understandably afraid and the media is understandably cautious, especially with more famous names. False accusations are very rare, but in those few cases they happen they end up hurting everyone, because people will become suspicious and say things like "It's better for a hundred guilty people to go free than for one innocent person to be falsely condemned." So no surprise that people are wary reporting it.
    We have to distinguish between accusations made by real people who are putting themselves out there and risking everything and some rumors made by anonymous people or "My colleague heard this from their second cousin's postman." I am not saying that all anonymous accusations are false, as I said it is hard for the victims to come forward, so it might be that they can only feel safe to do it like that. But in those cases, if it's true it's IMO likely that more accusations will be made in short time. Once someone starts, other victims of the same person will feel safer to come forward as well, so if they pile up, it is probably more safer for us to believe them. There is still the possibility of a targeted campaign, but more people speaking up makes it more likely to be true, IMO. Also an important factor is how does the accused person respond to it.
    If it's just an anonymous rumor made by one or two people against someone famous, it is IMO likely to be just a personal attack against that person.

On the topic of people being generally understood to be racist, antisemitic, homophobic, transphobic, etc. ... Again, let's please not make it a case of "What to believe in anymore?" When someone is known to be like that, like Mel Gibson, it is because we have evidence for it. They post their opinions on their own social media or are caught saying them on camera. If it's once or twice it can be understood to be taken out of context or misinterpreted. Or they really think that and are just cautious about saying it in public and this is the only time they slipped. We might not know. But if it's a repeated action and they don't even seem to have problem being public about it, it's not a rumor FFS. We can argue if what was said/written is racist, homophobic, etc. and people can form their own opinions based on their beliefs, but we can't argue that those are not that person's opinions if they are in public record.
    Again, if it is a different situation and it's just a rumor of "I heard it from...." and there is no verifiable evidence, it is likely to be just a targeted attack against that person.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Also, please miss me with all of that "All celebrities/all rich people are evil" attitude. There are good and bad people in every group and every demographic. Maybe some more than other, but stuff like that is hard to quantify and statements like that are probably likely to be formed by everyone's personal opinions and experiences. It is not considered OK to make generalizing comments about most groups of people but it seems to become a "cool" or "edgy" thing to hate on the rich, successful and famous people.
    Let's not be jealous, please, it is a horrible vice. There are some great celebrities who use their voices and resources to help others and there are many others who just want to exist like the rest of us. I have actually come to pity some of them who don't seem to want all of that media attention and having their private lives picked up by complete strangers. Some just want to do their jobs like acting and it's not their fault that the media focuses on those professions so much.
    Slava Ukraini!
    Truth and love must prevail over lies and hatred

Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    The Passion of the Christ - the pre-movie stuff, at least - has roots in antisemitism. So when some guy who belongs to a sect that has a history of antisemitism, added in to his famous rant, makes a film based on it ..well, the fact that people start making connections is unavoidable.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Winona Ryder has accused Mel Gibson of making anti-Semitic and anti-gay comments in an interview with The Sunday Times. The “Stranger Things” star was asked by a reporter if she has experienced anti-Semitism in the industry, and she responded with several examples.

“We were at a crowded party with one of my good friends,” she said. “And Mel Gibson was smoking a cigar, and we’re all talking and he said to my friend, who’s gay, ‘Oh wait, am I gonna get AIDS?’ And then something came up about Jews, and he said, ‘You’re not an oven dodger, are you?’”
    https://variety.com/2020/film/news/w...er-1234646288/

And look at how badly he's been canceled by Woke Mob:

Yeah, this is all 100% garbage. He's not doing anything of the sort.