BANNED

Default anyone else remember the big fuss over Superman Return's costume?

its amazing that other people have hissy fits when scales are added onto Superman's outfit in Man of Steel and the no outer speedo tights. yet in Superman Returns and Sam Raimi's Spider-Man, scales were added onto the costumes and people back then made a big stink about that.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by XandertheWise View Post
    its amazing that other people have hissy fits when scales are added onto Superman's outfit in Man of Steel and the no outer speedo tights. yet in Superman Returns and Sam Raimi's Spider-Man, scales were added onto the costumes and people back then made a big stink about that.
    So, people are consistent about making a fuss over nothing. And will continue to be.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by exile001 View Post
    So, people are consistent about making a fuss over nothing. And will continue to be.
    Yeah, this is what I remember.

There's always some group of people who complain about every live-action iteration of the costume.

That aside, the Superman Returns costume was one of my least favorites ever. I don't understand the maroon, especially paired with the bright blue, and the speedo-shaped trunks looked ugly. I lean pro-trunks, but I'd rather trunk-less over Singer's trunks. I also think there's a "right" size for the shield, but Singer's shield was too small.

Another way of looking at this: if you took the best features of every popular iteration of Superman's costume, I'd take nothing from Singer's. If I had to list the worst aspects of popular designs, Singer's would appear a couple of times. It does nothing particularly great and several things awfully.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

I remember seeing it in an article about six months before the movie came out and thought it looked too dark. I thought that if this is supposed to be the Reeve Superman, shouldn't it look more like the one from the original movies?
    Assassinate Putin!

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

The scaly costume look is definitely not my bag (on any superhero). But I just had my thoughts and that was that. Guess I didn't elevate it to fuss level. But comic fans gonna fuss.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Quote Originally Posted by XandertheWise View Post
    I thought the fuss over the Routh suit was the demure S symbol. It was made quite small

I do like the speedo, I thought it looked good. I'd have gone with a brighter red and a bigger S, but it overall was a good look imo. It gave it a slightly more modern update while keeping true to the classic.

I never understood why the smaller briefs drew (and occasionally still draw) derision.

Funnily enough regarding the color scheme, I did see the suit in real life once, and it read as the color "Red" a lot more in person than it did in the movie. I genuinely think it was more about the color grading of the film than the costume itself. But... the color grading did make it look an awful lot like Brown rather than Red.

I also did think the chest emblem was too small. But I liked the shade of Blue a lot!

... Anyway, yeah, Superman fans will nitpick anything, including occasionally myself!
    "You know the deal, Metropolis. Treat people right or expect a visit from me."