Page 58 of 58 FirstFirst ... 8485455565758

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    You just made this entire post and then referred to Iron Man by his nickname. People use nicknames differently, some use them all the time and others don't, it's not that big a deal. Also... pre-Krakoa she wasn't being called Elizabeth all the time so idk where this is even coming from.
    I am a fan. I'm not a in-universe villain. I think you might have missed that, in my post.

A villan could in direct dialogue refer to X with their nickname, in an ironic/way to diminish someone. But when the villain (especially someone born in the Middle Ages) is talking to their allies/lackeys they will never mention X by the nickname.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    The post about the use of Betsy being out of control was an interesting take. My name is Christopher but I ALWAYS go by Chris. So its not out of the norm for a character to not go by their full name.
    Also I love Betsy.
    Yes, it did occur to me that there are people that always go by the nick (see Ted Kennedy). And even in-universe there's Havok. I think he's never called Alexander.
    I just never seen Betsy as one of these. She was called by nickname by friends/teammates in direct dialogue, but in "generic" material (summaries, cast lists, articles, yellow boxes, narrator voice) she always went by Elizabeth.
    That's my beef.

Could be a cultural difference here. In Italy the nickname (a shortening of the full name) is usually something for relatives/friends. Or if there are two people with same name, so you use the nick to differentiate.
    I'm Alessandra. "Ale" is the shortening. No anchorman or journalist interviewing me (lol - as if) would introduce me with the nickname. Unless I said them "please call me Ale". And only with a journalist that has a "friendly" way of carrying the interview, if you get what I mean.
    So yes, from a non-friend/relative, the use of the nickname would be either condescending, infantilizing or unpolite.
    Last edited by Hakka84; 06-13-2024 at 12:00 PM.
    "I know who I am. I'm a warrior.
    Bad things happen in battle. Warriors get hard. It comes with the territory."

DC--- we need to sit down and have a good talk about Apollo and Midnighter and your failure of using them. Especially during Pride Month.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Fact is, she herself clearly doesn't mind when others refer to her as Betsy. And if she doesn't mind and no one else minds...then your aversion to her being called Betsy is entirely a YOU issue. However, you can refer to her as Elizabeth, seeing as how you are not a close friend or relative. When you are discussing her in topic you can type Elizabeth...because that is her name. As is Betsy.

This really isn't worth pages of debate.
    Last edited by Devaishwarya; 06-13-2024 at 01:44 PM.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Folks, I'm stepping out of the non Q & A threads.

I love these convos but I can't be a fan right now and these should be spaces where you all feel free to speak feely. I will NOT be monitoring or lurking. I'm out until I'm done writing X-Force, unless it's the official Q & A thread.

Almost ready for launch.

Astonishing Member

Well, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Thorne has already said hes not a big Bishop fan.
    Damn, he came at Bishop like that ??? That is messed up, but to each there own.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    Folks, I'm stepping out of the non Q & A threads.

I love these convos but I can't be a fan right now and these should be spaces where you all feel free to speak feely. I will NOT be monitoring or lurking. I'm out until I'm done writing X-Force, unless it's the official Q & A thread.

Almost ready for launch.
    Completely understandable.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hakka84 View Post
    I am a fan. I'm not a in-universe villain. I think you might have missed that, in my post.

A villan could in direct dialogue refer to X with their nickname, in an ironic/way to diminish someone. But when the villain (especially someone born in the Middle Ages) is talking to their allies/lackeys they will never mention X by the nickname.

Yes, it did occur to me that there are people that always go by the nick (see Ted Kennedy). And even in-universe there's Havok. I think he's never called Alexander.
    I just never seen Betsy as one of these. She was called by nickname by friends/teammates in direct dialogue, but in "generic" material (summaries, cast lists, articles, yellow boxes, narrator voice) she always went by Elizabeth.
    That's my beef.

Could be a cultural difference here. In Italy the nickname (a shortening of the full name) is usually something for relatives/friends. Or if there are two people with same name, so you use the nick to differentiate.
    I'm Alessandra. "Ale" is the shortening. No anchorman or journalist interviewing me (lol - as if) would introduce me with the nickname. Unless I said them "please call me Ale". And only with a journalist that has a "friendly" way of carrying the interview, if you get what I mean.
    So yes, from a non-friend/relative, the use of the nickname would be either condescending, infantilizing or unpolite.
    It is no differen then legal names. My legal name is Charles but I ONLY go by Charlie, introduce myself as Charlie, write my name as Charlie, use Charlie EVERYDAY. I only use Charles for legal things, and that is because it is legal things and I am in the" system" as Charles. For example if I apply to a credit card they require legal name so they can look up credit report. A persons name is their name, be it legal nme or not. Telling people when and where they can use certain names ("lineups" vs in universe use). They get to decide there name, but use there legal name for things that would "require" legal name. Espically in "paramilitary" groups. A soldier is not listed by there nickname, but they use their legal names for files. But the name that a person uses to introduce themselves or otherwise use a "nick" name in DAILY life. Nicknames are real names, legal names are actually less of a real name then a nickname. A person figures out who they are as they grow, and people have a right to their name. Never tell a person what their name (and by extension other things like gender), THEY tell you their name.

The Best There Is berserkerclaw's Avatar

So would marvel eiterb reunber a book or just add a legend y tag on the book like Cyclops X-men will have. The new X-force #10 will also be #300
    X-Fan, Venom fanatic Bat Family, Green Lantern Corps, Tansformers Gi Joe