Page 42 of 42 FirstFirst ... 323839404142

Quote Originally Posted by Hakka84 View Post
    Yes, you make total sense. Your approach is very welcome, actually.

I think Galen Nycroft refers to a small but very vocal part of fandom. You don't see it here on CBR because this place is, IMHO, a haven, but elsewhere I see what "a character is now canon queer" does to fandom - any fandom, not specifically X-Men/Marvel.
    There's a reaction, a "FINALLY ANOTHER ONE IS ESTABLISHED TO BE LIKE US" - this is what the "appropriation" thing mentioned means, I think. There's this "now this characters is ours, you don't get it back" attitude (again, I need do specify, not all fandom is like this).
    Now, returning to our girls: the backlash, should Rachel and Betsy break up and one of them fall in love with a man, would be absurd (again, from this small but vocal portion of online fandom!). There would be cries about "queer erasure" and "you have already enough straight characters, did you really need to make one of ours straight" and "homophopia".
    This is basically the reason why I was so, so angry at the ship back when it debuted and had a jerk-reaction (I was luckily not part of this forum yet, or you would have all come to hate me!).
    Because not only I saw the reaction of "the kiss" scene and the talks the new pair generated, but I know how fandom acts when estalibshed characters previously coded as straight (or seen only in straight relationships) are canonized as queer/get into a queer romance.

With time I calmed down and accepted it. Not a fan, but I'm eager to see a more balanced (less ship-fanfiction-y; said this with due respect, as I write ship fics too!) take, like the one you seem to have planned.
    I agree that Betsy is now a different person than the one she was before Mystery in Madripoor so she's entitled to a different path in life. Not sure Rachel is the right one, but as long as Betsy is written in character (something some of us agree that in Excalibur she wasn't) it's fine.
    Given the state of mind in which Warren is stuck, and what Betsy wants from her new life, I think Warren and Betsy would harm each other by staying together. Perhaps in the future, who knows, but we need to have Warren grow/develop too for them to work as pair again.
    (The pair is my #3 ever across all fandoms, and #1 in canon romances across all fandoms. But at some point you have to put down the shippy-googles and get real.)

I too would've wanted her single for a while - she is one of those characters who doesn't get much time without being paired up with someone and she had so much going on in her mind, she was entitled some time for herself. But, alas, canon moved on.
    Ok when you say it that way I understand because I see that mentality on twitter.

But the way the OP wrote it out was not it but anyways moving on.

So here's hoping we get her here in X-Force and hopefully another solo run.

Quote Originally Posted by Hakka84 View Post
    Yes, you make total sense. Your approach is very welcome, actually.

I think Galen Nycroft refers to a small but very vocal part of fandom. You don't see it here on CBR because this place is, IMHO, a haven, but elsewhere I see what "a character is now canon queer" does to fandom - any fandom, not specifically X-Men/Marvel.
    There's a reaction, a "FINALLY ANOTHER ONE IS ESTABLISHED TO BE LIKE US" - this is what the "appropriation" thing mentioned means, I think. There's this "now this characters is ours, you don't get it back" attitude (again, I need do specify, not all fandom is like this).
    Now, returning to our girls: the backlash, should Rachel and Betsy break up and one of them fall in love with a man, would be absurd (again, from this small but vocal portion of online fandom!). There would be cries about "queer erasure" and "you have already enough straight characters, did you really need to make one of ours straight" and "homophopia".
    This is basically the reason why I was so, so angry at the ship back when it debuted and had a jerk-reaction (I was luckily not part of this forum yet, or you would have all come to hate me!).
    Because not only I saw the reaction of "the kiss" scene and the talks the new pair generated, but I know how fandom acts when estalibshed characters previously coded as straight (or seen only in straight relationships) are canonized as queer/get into a queer romance.

With time I calmed down and accepted it. Not a fan, but I'm eager to see a more balanced (less ship-fanfiction-y; said this with due respect, as I write ship fics too!) take, like the one you seem to have planned.
    I agree that Betsy is now a different person than the one she was before Mystery in Madripoor so she's entitled to a different path in life. Not sure Rachel is the right one, but as long as Betsy is written in character (something some of us agree that in Excalibur she wasn't) it's fine.
    Given the state of mind in which Warren is stuck, and what Betsy wants from her new life, I think Warren and Betsy would harm each other by staying together. Perhaps in the future, who knows, but we need to have Warren grow/develop too for them to work as pair again.
    (The pair is my #3 ever across all fandoms, and #1 in canon romances across all fandoms. But at some point you have to put down the shippy-googles and get real.)

I too would've wanted her single for a while - she is one of those characters who doesn't get much time without being paired up with someone and she had so much going on in her mind, she was entitled some time for herself. But, alas, canon moved on.
    I've seen all that. I take a step farther and, in a way, my own view is particularly narrow.

1) The canon is the canon. So, when I'm allowed to play, I must play with the cards that are available at the time of my entry, never pining away for some previous deck.

2) Even without Krakoa, it seems to me the mutant subculture must lean aggressively toward pansexuality due solely to the incredibly wide variety of body types (and genders) presented as "normal" for mutants. In short, the mutant's would be culturally built to love the person, not the body, because so many of their bodies barely resemble what a baseline human body looks like or how they function. I'm genuinely surprised Ben Grimm's lover isn't always a mutant.

Hey!! no one ask where amazing baby is? I don't see him with his mother Askani! Can u tell me something RedJack?

Quote Originally Posted by Redjack View Post
    I've seen all that. I take a step farther and, in a way, my own view is particularly narrow.

1) The canon is the canon. So, when I'm allowed to play, I must play with the cards that are available at the time of my entry, never pining away for some previous deck.

2) Even without Krakoa, it seems to me the mutant subculture must lean aggressively toward pansexuality due solely to the incredibly wide variety of body types (and genders) presented as "normal" for mutants. In short, the mutant's would be culturally built to love the person, not the body, because so many of their bodies barely resemble what a baseline human body looks like or how they function. I'm genuinely surprised Ben Grimm's lover isn't always a mutant.
    Not to mention mutants who change appearance/mutate further (and there's Betsy, lol - that's why I headcanon that during Disassembled she and Warren were together, because I like the idea that if someone loves you they love you even if you literally change body).
    Anyway. Amen, Redjack. I love how your mind works!
    Last edited by Hakka84; Yesterday at 03:18 PM.
    First Warren in Dark X-Men #1, and then Genis-Vell in Captain Marvel #1. Seriously, Marvel?!
    Avatar reflecting my mood. I couldn't stand the sunny high-flying Angel one anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by askani_son View Post
    Hey!! no one ask where amazing baby is? I don't see him with his mother Askani! Can u tell me something RedJack?
    no spoilers, sorry.

but I do love that puppy.