Page 13 of 26 FirstFirst ... 39101112131415161723 ... LastLast

I think people complaining about the lack of their favorite characters have to realize that changes made with adaptations are often done in service of the story. They are different universes with different circumstances and different main characters, so things will play out differently and different characters will get focus. It happens all the time with franchises (e.g. Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, MCU, etc.), especially when you're limited with runtime.

E for Extinction may have been pivotal moments in the lives of characters like Polaris and Emma, but they themselves weren't pivotal to the overall story. Cut those characters out and the story would have progressed almost the exact same way. Would the emotional moments hit as hard if the audience had to follow characters they weren't familiar with as opposed to ones they have been following since the beginning? Probably not.

Quote Originally Posted by nightw1ng View Post
    I think people complaining about the lack of their favorite characters have to realize that changes made with adaptations are often done in service of the story. They are different universes with different circumstances and different main characters, so things will play out differently and different characters will get focus. It happens all the time with franchises (e.g. Harry Potter, Game of Thrones, MCU, etc.), especially when you're limited with runtime.

E for Extinction may have been pivotal moments in the lives of characters like Polaris and Emma, but they themselves weren't pivotal to the overall story. Cut those characters out and the story would have progressed almost the exact same way. Would the emotional moments hit as hard if the audience had to follow characters they weren't familiar with as opposed to ones they have been following since the beginning? Probably not.
    Emma was pivitol in that storyline. There are several iconic moments in the EoE arc carrying Ellie body "I got hard", snapping Novas neck. Being the only survivor in that genocide which went on to define the character and several stories for years to come. I mean you could extend that to Jean and the DPS by that logic.

Are you really trying to say the breakout character in the 00s was not important in any of those Morrison moments used here ?

Not to mention this on top of a backstory where the showrunner despises the character and openly admits to not reading anything post 00s.

I'm also glad the grooming undertones did not go unoticed. For second there I thought I was going mad. But it was poorly executed.

You're also looking at a completely different audience. They really could have done anything they wanted they introduced one of the most convoluted plots to begin the relaunch.
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 04-10-2024 at 03:29 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    Emma was pivitol in that storyline. There are several iconic moments in the EoE arc carrying Ellie body "I got hard", snapping Novas neck. Being the only survivor in that genocide which went on to define the character and several stories for years to come. I mean you could extend that to Jean and the DPS by that logic.

Are you really trying to say the breakout character in the 00s was not important in any of those Morrison moments used here ?
    Right, but a self-contained animated series that has barely used the character is different than a massive, decades-long comics franchise. Using Emma here wouldn't have much impact in this context. It's like the person complaining about Polaris being absent from the story. Polaris has barely appeared in the series. There's no meaning to her being involved in the show, except to the die-hard comic fans. The shows versions of a number of famous comic storylines used different characters, including Age of Apocalypse and Days of Future Past.

I get wanting to see your favorite character in the spotlight. Half my favorite Marvel characters are pretty obscure so, believe me, I get it. But you're just setting yourself up to be bitter and disappointed if your primary metric for the show is how perfectly it adapts the comics or showcases your personal favorite.

I think it's better to enjoy these things for what they are, not what you think they should have been, you know? Judge it on its own merits than your personal preferences or what the comic was.

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    Right, but a self-contained animated series that has barely used the character is different than a massive, decades-long comics franchise. Using Emma here wouldn't have much impact in this context. It's like the person complaining about Polaris being absent from the story. Polaris has barely appeared in the series. There's no meaning to her being involved in the show, except to the die-hard comic fans. The shows versions of a number of famous comic storylines used different characters, including Age of Apocalypse and Days of Future Past.

I get wanting to see your favorite character in the spotlight. Half my favorite Marvel characters are pretty obscure so, believe me, I get it. But you're just setting yourself up to be bitter and disappointed if your primary metric for the show is how perfectly it adapts the comics or showcases your personal favorite.

I think it's better to enjoy these things for what they are, not what you think they should have been, you know? Judge it on its own merits than your personal preferences or what the comic was.
    I'm judging it by the showrunners petty comments made at the start.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    My personal take from what I am seeing here is...

Who is in the wrong? Yes.

Who deserves sympathy for all the crap they are dealing with? Yes.

Everyone processes trauma differently. Why should fictional characters be any different?
    Pretty much. Theyre very flawed (like all of us) people dealing with impossibly difficult circumstances. I honestly think all of them are reacting in an understandable, if imperfect, way. To me personally, none of the characters look bad or like jerks. Just people fumbling their way through life.

Fantastic Member

This will probably be things for future seasons but if they actually make Xavier's mansion a proper mutant school after the massacre we might get some real Emma development with her creating the Hellions.

Pretty much. Theyre very flawed (like all of us) people dealing with impossibly difficult circumstances. I honestly think all of them are reacting in an understandable, if imperfect, way. To me personally, none of the characters look bad or like jerks. Just people fumbling their way through life.
    People don't like to hear such things, but sometimes there isn't really someone to point a finger at to lay the blame on. Sometimes, there are situations with no easy answers, or no good answers, or worst of all, no answers to be found.

No one in this current triangle is truly wrong.

Jean came back to find someone living what was supposed to be her life.

Scott found out that the person he had a son with wasn't who he thought she was.

Maddie found out her entire existence was a lie, that she was an unwitting cuckoo inserted into the lives of others for nefarious purposes. That she didn't know any of this doesn't ease how it hit the other two, it just means she isn't to blame for anything, and makes the consequences she has to live with all the more tragic.

Can Maddie get ahold of a certain crimson gem and imprison Sinister in it like Onslaught did to the Juggernaut? Essex can spend the rest of eternity as a paperweight. Because there is actually a real villain in this tragedy, and Nathaniel Essex is it.
    Dark does not mean deep.

So, if they really are introducing elements from Krakoa into the show, do think they'll...make Beast like he was in X-Force? They wouldn't...would they? I was envious that you all get to watch this show since I don't subscribe to +Disney or any streaming service, but if this is what's ahead...
    placeholder signature until I can think of something.

Quote Originally Posted by Mungho View Post
    So, if they really are introducing elements from Krakoa into the show, do think they'll...make Beast like he was in X-Force? They wouldn't...would they? I was envious that you all get to watch this show since I don't subscribe to +Disney or any streaming service, but if this is what's ahead...
    Nobody cares about that but Percy and thankfully he has nothing to do with this show

Did anybody else notice The Watcher in the sky?

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    I'm judging it by the showrunners petty comments made at the start.
    So not by the actual quality of the show, then.

So not by the actual quality of the show, then.
    Well his petty comments certainly shaped his vison no?

Quote Originally Posted by Havok83 View Post
    Nobody cares about that but Percy and thankfully he has nothing to do with this show
    Thanks, I just need to hear that. I wonder if they'll release this show on physical media after awhile?
    placeholder signature until I can think of something.

God... it was so good.

Has anyone listed all the cameos?

Quote Originally Posted by Mungho View Post
    Thanks, I just need to hear that. I wonder if they'll release this show on physical media after awhile?
    They might have crossovers with the other shows and you might hey Civil War, or Secret Invasion, Beast/Illuminati