Page 25 of 26 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Bunch of Coconuts View Post

Honestly, the whole show is trash because Beau de Mayo appeared and almost got blasted by a Sentinel. The cross-over between real life and fiction is absurd and there's no way Beau could be on Genosha because it doesn't really exist.
    Let me get this straight. You trash a whole show because DeMayo's experiences with the Pulse nightclub shooting translated into a fictional genocide and DeMayo wanted that reflected in the show? Do you not have any nuance?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by ActualLibrarian View Post
    Let me get this straight. You trash a whole show because DeMayo's experiences with the Pulse nightclub shooting translated into a fictional genocide and DeMayo wanted that reflected in the show? Do you not have any nuance?
    You are taking the post out of context. He's mocking the people who consider the show trash because they didn't get the 100% adaption they wanted from the 616 Earth story.

Fantastic Member

I have been enjoying the hell out of X-Men '97. Part of the reason is that it is clearly trying NOT to be the same show as the original and while that show had its' deep dark moments, this show is clearly way more mature and darker. Remember It started strong and then ended amazingly dark. It was like a mix of Akira and Watchmen #12 though way less intense but still unnerving. And that is why I hope that we don't have a fix in the end. I love Gambit. He is still charming and cool. But characters should be allowed to die even if we love them. A large problem I have with media be it comic books, movies, or TV shows in the last decade or so is this need to fix everything in the end and making sure most everyone gets a happy ending. When I was a kid, I was a huge Transformers fan who practically idolized Optimus Prime. When the movie came out, he and a lot of established characters got killed off. That made me sad, but even at 7, it made me appreciate those lost characters all the more. Other children freaked out however and they had to bring him back to life less than a year later. That made me annoyed, and I was not surprised at all that the show was cancelled soon after. It is because you love them that killing them makes you sad/angry. That is the whole point.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoks View Post
    People who dislike this adaption of it because it negates Emma's and Lorna's development seem to forget it was SO BAD for the rest of the X-Men. The main team were horrible in it, they treated the genocide with so much callousness. They were much more concerned with Xavier's twin than they were with all the innocent dead mutants.
    Very good point.

It felt more like a speculate of experiencing something from a distance, than a social commentary about the horror of terrorism that breaks safe spaces which seems to be Beau De Mayo's interpretation.

Emma needed therapy ASAP after that, not be given a position on the team and thrust into a love triangle...

People who dislike this adaption of it because it negates Emma's and Lorna's development seem to forget it was SO BAD for the rest of the X-Men. The main team were horrible in it, they treated the genocide with so much callousness. They were much more concerned with Xavier's twin than they were with all the innocent dead mutants.
    Yeah, tonally the original was off-kilter. The massive "told you so" was very.... lol wut? Then again there was very much the angle of "who's next?" yeah, the X-Men that's who's next.

See, I know what happened to the mega-sentinel....and the answer was.... it got smashed. The biggest WTF is the question of HOW it managed to kill so many after seeing it get smashed.

You are taking the post out of context. He's mocking the people who consider the show trash because they didn't get the 100% adaption they wanted from the 616 Earth story.
    Thanks for the back-up.

I'm loving X-Men '97 and have watched episode 5 at least 10 times.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by SturdyMike89 View Post
    I have been enjoying the hell out of X-Men '97. Part of the reason is that it is clearly trying NOT to be the same show as the original and while that show had its' deep dark moments, this show is clearly way more mature and darker. Remember It started strong and then ended amazingly dark. It was like a mix of Akira and Watchmen #12 though way less intense but still unnerving. And that is why I hope that we don't have a fix in the end. I love Gambit. He is still charming and cool. But characters should be allowed to die even if we love them. A large problem I have with media be it comic books, movies, or TV shows in the last decade or so is this need to fix everything in the end and making sure most everyone gets a happy ending. When I was a kid, I was a huge Transformers fan who practically idolized Optimus Prime. When the movie came out, he and a lot of established characters got killed off. That made me sad, but even at 7, it made me appreciate those lost characters all the more. Other children freaked out however and they had to bring him back to life less than a year later. That made me annoyed, and I was not surprised at all that the show was cancelled soon after. It is because you love them that killing them makes you sad/angry. That is the whole point.
    Eh, They killed off they old transformers as marketing ploy, so they could sell more toys of the new characters. And the kids were upset, so didn’t want to buy the new toys. Hence, why they brought Prime back. It wasn’t some great artistic statement, it was to sell toys and it backfired because they made their target audience upset with them
    Last edited by anyajenkins; 04-16-2024 at 06:16 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ChronoRogue View Post
    If anything the people that read E for Extinction as new fans would be disappointed. It's not given a ton of focus and you see it more through the lens of the X-Men, not on the ground. (outside of maaaybe Emma and Lorna for page or two)

This elevated the story, not denounced it.
    E is for Extinction by Grant Morrison is superior in every way. In every single way. Beau took 3/4 different stories and bunched them together he didn't conceive the ideas.

Every single concept that was set up in E is for Extinction in the context of a Marvel on its death bed makes it superior. Cyclops euthinising Ugly John, the Extinction gene, Cassandra Nova, the intersection of white collar workers and how they factor into the military industrial complex war and death, limousine liberals condescending attitude to oppression. That's putting aside anything to do with Lorna and Emma and that aftermath scene with NTW is iconic.

I've seen new fans actually think he came up with those ideas and concepts from scratch.
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 04-16-2024 at 06:34 PM.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by anyajenkins View Post
    Eh, They killed off they old transformers as marketing ploy, so they could sell more toys of the new characters. And the kids were upset, so didn’t want to buy the new toys. Hence, why they brought Prime back. It wasn’t some great artistic statement, it was to sell toys and it backfired because they made their target audience upset with them
    That wasn't my point. I know why they did it, I just feel that it is perfectly fine for characters to be killed off even if they are liked and not be made to come back from the dead. I love Gambit, but his death is done so well that I think a resurrection would cheapen the story. Not that they won't do that of course. One upcoming episode is called "Bright Eyes" so I think he will come back. I am just saying you can love a character and be ok with them being gone.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    E is for Extinction by Grant Morrison is superior in every way. In every single way. Beau took 3/4 different stories and bunched them together he didn't conceive the ideas.

Every single concept that was set up in E is for Extinction in the context of a Marvel on its death bed makes it superior. Cyclops euthinising Ugly John, the Extinction gene, Cassandra Nova, the intersection of white collar workers and how they factor into the military industrial complex war and death, limousine liberals condescending attitude to oppression. That's putting aside anything to do with Lorna and Emma and that aftermath scene with NTW is iconic.

I've seen new fans actually think he came up with those ideas and concepts from scratch.
    You're pulling from other stuff, not the actual massacre though. Again, the point is the massacre itself was barely given much afterthought compared to here. That is what makes it better.

As for as decimation events go because of how underdeveloped it was, I'd say several other events hit way harder in the comics including the mutant massacre, HoM, the bus in NXM, etc... despite the scope of how big the Genoshan massacre was.

You're pulling from other stuff, not the actual massacre though. Again, the point is the massacre itself was barely given much afterthought compared to here. That is what makes it better.
    That was the point, it was such an inconceivable event it didn't need to be shown on panel. The death count a damage in the episode actually appeared to be less. There is i will say a page of a man running with a baby but the description of a boy/gifted pianist searching for his hand is more effective IMO.
    The entire time you've never had an anthology issue of how Emma survived the horror especially being a telepath and burried under a collapsed building. We never needed one.
    Last edited by ExodusCloak; 04-16-2024 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ExodusCloak View Post
    That was the point, it was such an inconceivable event it didn't need to be shown on panel. The death count a damage in the episode actually appeared to be less. There is i will say a page of a man running with a baby but the description of a boy/gifted pianist searching for his hand is more effective IMO.
    The entire time you've never had an anthology issue of how Emma survived the horror especially being a telepath and burried under a collapsed building. We never needed one.
    Again, I point to how it's portrayed. You get a few short shots of horror but it's viewed from a distance. I don't think it leaves impact with the audience that way. I certainly barely remember much from the event and I think that's a sentiment shared among a lot of comic readers, beyond the body count as morbid as it is.

Because that's all it was, it didn't feel personal. Emma has one great moment and then she steels herself. It's a lot of lost opportunity that 97' shows.

I think killing Gambit off and Rogue getting all weepy over him was a heck of a lot more impactful than killing of Negasonic Teenage Warhead and showing Emma being sad.

As for as decimation events go because of how underdeveloped it was, I'd say several other events hit way harder in the comics including the mutant massacre, HoM, the bus in NXM, etc... despite the scope of how big the Genoshan massacre was.
    Problem is... this "made it better" by taking some of that other stuff you say was outside it and making it be inside it.

Amazing Member

Unpopular opinion: E Is for Extinction was a mediocre story in the comics and Grant Morrison is overrated.