Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

The boy in the cupboard had a kind of bucket Cerebro.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mutant X View Post
    Too little has happened for 40 pages of comics.

A manga volume usually has less content than a comic book issue, but they are released in shorter schedules.
    Too little? I disagree. The extra page count in issue 1 works with establishing the villain’s motives, Hisako’s inner and outer conflict, and the awakening of her powers. Now, we meet the other lead of the series, Hisako deciding to become more proactive, and we see the face of the person who’s likely responsible for all the deaths, and now the stakes have increased with more deaths occurring, all in issue 2.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Grunty View Post
    Indeed.

Roughly speaking.

Monthly manga (usualy the seinen types for late teens to young adults) often have 30 to 40 pages per month, which get compiled in 5 to 6 chapter volumes, wheras weekly manga (usualy the shonen/shojo types for a young teen male/female audience) have 20 pages per week, resulting in 80 pages or 4 chapters per month, which then get compiled in 9 chapter volumes.

Furthermore many manga these days, what ever they are shonen, shojo or seinen are granted an extra long introduction chapter or "pilot" of around 60 pages at once, which allow to tell a full story, so that the reader can quickly get to know the central character(s), the theme of the story, the atmosphere of the setting and have one neatly wrapped up mini plot from the start.

At this point it's also primarily audience reaction which determines if a series is allowed to be given a full run or to continue until enough chapters have been compiled for a first volume. Since the magazine format does not allow to fully determine the profitability of a series on the first chapters alone.

In contrast the american monthly floppy system which this comic is being released under, is not only much more restricted in page count, hence the very compressed stories of the classic books, but also dictates that a series allready has to proof it's profitability within the first few issues, or get canceled quickly.

Especially with their disappearance from newsstands or magazine racks and move into the specialized comic shops, which couldn't write off large bulk purchases as easily as super markets, which in the past allowed books to "ferment" a while as back issues to find their audiences over time.

So what ever this is a manga or american comic the introduction story should have allready wrapped up last month.

Meanwhile this is half baked approach feels like it's not doing an allready more "experimental" book any favor.
    I read enough manga where nothing happens in a chapter (and a page of most manga should not be measured one to one to most western comics) and enough mainstream Marvel books that are repeating the same story for 5-10 issues to call this out as a double standard. There have been manga where an entire volume is just one long fight and Marvel minis that are a single issue story drawn out over four. The only thing this book is missing is people's pet characters being given generic quips and power feats. Otherwise the same criticisms could be made about most books on the shelves these days.
    Last edited by cranger; 04-10-2024 at 07:13 PM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frobisher View Post
    The boy in the cupboard had a kind of bucket Cerebro.
    Also saw a comment saying it looks like Shadow King’s fez, maybe it’s a reference to Amahl, however I like the idea of this being this universe’s take on cerebro being homemade and in a closet.
    Last edited by juffuj5; 04-10-2024 at 07:17 PM.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    I read enough manga where nothing happens in a chapter (and a page of most manga should not be measured one to one to most western comics) and enough mainstream Marvel books that are repeating the same story for 5-10 issues to call this out as a double standard. There have been manga where an entire volume is just one long fight and Marvel minis that are a single issue story drawn out over four. The only thing this book is missing is people's pet characters being given generic quips and power feats. Otherwise the same criticisms could be made about most books on the shelves these days.
    I genuinely want to know what people wanted this series to be like

I am enjoying this series much more than I expected. I am a big horror fan and a big superhero fan and I’m loving the crossover that Momoko is doing with the genres. It still doesn’t feel like I’m reading any type of X-Men book and it REALLY doesn’t feel connected to the rest of the new UU but I’m just digging it so far. I will agree that this issue was too similar to issue one but regardless I still liked it. I’m in.

Quote Originally Posted by juffuj5 View Post
    I genuinely want to know what people wanted this series to be like
    My answer to this question is a two parter. I wanted the series to be about the X-Men proper, all the A listers set in this new UU. When it was announced Momoko was writing and we saw some previews I knew that wasn’t going to happen so at that point I didn’t know what I want. I’m really enjoying this as is, but given the opportunity to make a change and see a traditional X team set in this world I would make that change. I am very biased however, as the original UU is what got me hooked on comics and Ultimate Logan is to this day my favorite character.
    You brought back Wolverine

The CBR Community Standards a.k.a how to get along.

I wonder what do people want with this series? I guess for me, I got something I didn’t know I wanted, a horror themed superhero book with a whimsical artstyle, freed from so much continuity, and giving lesser known characters the spotlight. I also like how much the story integrates Japanese culture, the lexicons at the end of the issues so far are fun to read.

I’m glad it’s not too tied up with the Maker plot, being mostly disconnected makes this world feel more lived in cause there’s more going on than the Maker’s scheming. I’m sure the book will eventually get around tying into it, but for now I’m happy the book is trying out something that’s different but interesting. I love that this series is unapologetically itself.
    I feel exactly the same way. This isn't the book that I would've pitched, but so what? It's great so far. I couldn't care less how much it is or isn't like a "regular" X-Men comic... I just like that it's a good book. I feel like people just can't get over the fact that it's nothing like our expectations.

Ultimate Spider-man isn't the book I was originally hoping for either. I wanted either a continuation of the original series or another version of high school Spider-man getting his powers like the original USM. Instead, we got neither of those things and I'm loving that book.

I'm not feeling this issue. The first one was this brooding, atmospheric piece where the horror creeps in. It took time to get you invested into the characters. Here, it felt like things happened so quickly, I couldn't sit down and digest things before they were over. The horror and Mei's introduction fell flat because of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    I'm not feeling this issue. The first one was this brooding, atmospheric piece where the horror creeps in. It took time to get you invested into the characters. Here, it felt like things happened so quickly, I couldn't sit down and digest things before they were over. The horror and Mei's introduction fell flat because of it.
    Mei’s introduction wasn’t particular long. As I stated in the review I think making it hinge on the electronic dog so much was a mistake. If you look at the issue the first thing I would do is slash the last pages. Everything after she sees Mei at the high school entrance is either in the wrong issue or should have been allocated to earlier scenes. Give Mei some kind of hook or reason why Hisako lets her come with, something that also makes us interested in the character.

Of course choosing to have the better part of the issue be an action scene makes it harder for it to be a creeping horror. But there are ways just with shifting the structure and move around some events so that we get more time with setting the horror up, showcase Mei and Hisako and let it creep into the panels.

While not a bad issue in my eyes, I think it feels sort of like a 1,5 issue. If it didn’t come out monthly or cost so damn much I would have nothing to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
    Mei’s introduction wasn’t particular long. As I stated in the review I think making it hinge on the electronic dog so much was a mistake. If you look at the issue the first thing I would do is slash the last pages. Everything after she sees Mei at the high school entrance is either in the wrong issue or should have been allocated to earlier scenes. Give Mei some kind of hook or reason why Hisako lets her come with, something that also makes us interested in the character.

Of course choosing to have the better part of the issue be an action scene makes it harder for it to be a creeping horror. But there are ways just with shifting the structure and move around some events so that we get more time with setting the horror up, showcase Mei and Hisako and let it creep into the panels.

While not a bad issue in my eyes, I think it feels sort of like a 1,5 issue. If it didn’t come out monthly or cost so damn much I would have nothing to say.
    Yeah I think Grunty is spot on about the pacing and how the release schedule of manga traditionally differs from American comics. This FEELS like the pacing of a weekly shonen, but that simply doesn’t work for a monthly comic. If they hadn’t just teased all the additional characters we’ll be getting I might be looking to exit. Smart move on Marvel marketing cause I don’t think Maystorm is going to be keeping anyone invested. Open to having my mind changed with the next issue though.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Yeah I think Grunty is spot on about the pacing and how the release schedule of manga traditionally differs from American comics. This FEELS like the pacing of a weekly shonen, but that simply doesn’t work for a monthly comic. If they hadn’t just teased all the additional characters we’ll be getting I might be looking to exit. Smart move on Marvel marketing cause I don’t think Maystorm is going to be keeping anyone invested. Open to having my mind changed with the next issue though.
    I am of a similar mind. As you pointed out Grunty brakes it down on the difference of expectations. A manga is a daunting project to tackle. It’s years of your life and as it becomes the only thing you do during these years it makes sense for it to be a mammoth. Successful mangakas don’t have that many projects under their belts. I’m finally finishing all of Urasawas works and the list is not that long even though he has worked since the early 80’s.
    There is also a whole team of artists as assistants helping to draw it. Maybe if Momoko had that she could give us two issues every month.

It will be interesting to see how Nico works since she is a magician. She has their staff of one and the blood ritual to release it. I wonder if Momoko will turn that into her mutant power.

Amazing Member

Is there anyone able to translate Maystorm’s design sheet cover? I think someone here did one for Nico’s before. EDIT: AGGHHH WHY IS IT SO HARD TO POST IMAGES ON THIS SITE, an HD cover of the design sheet cover on her wiki page on Marvel fandom, here’s a link to where you can find it: https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Categ...Vol_2_2/Images
    Last edited by juffuj5; 04-12-2024 at 06:48 PM.

BANNED

I wonder what do people want with this series? I guess for me, I got something I didn’t know I wanted, a horror themed superhero book with a whimsical artstyle, freed from so much continuity, and giving lesser known characters the spotlight. I also like how much the story integrates Japanese culture, the lexicons at the end of the issues so far are fun to read.

I’m glad it’s not too tied up with the Maker plot, being mostly disconnected makes this world feel more lived in cause there’s more going on than the Maker’s scheming. I’m sure the book will eventually get around tying into it, but for now I’m happy the book is trying out something that’s different but interesting. I love that this series is unapologetically itself.
    I feel like it's fine for what it is, but that it shouldn't really be a part of the Ultimate line. It just feels too divorced from both the Ultimate line and the X-Men that I wish it was it's own thing like Demon Days. I feel like the current Ultimate Universe has a very specific premise and it feels pointless to set a book in that universe that doesn't really have anything to do with that premise.

It's not that the book is bad. It just feels like it doesn't really have anything to do with the universe its set in or the team it's supposedly reinventing.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Refrax5 View Post
    I feel like it's fine for what it is, but that it shouldn't really be a part of the Ultimate line. It just feels too divorced from both the Ultimate line and the X-Men that I wish it was it's own thing like Demon Days. I feel like the current Ultimate Universe has a very specific premise and it feels pointless to set a book in that universe that doesn't really have anything to do with that premise.

It's not that the book is bad. It just feels like it doesn't really have anything to do with the universe its set in or the team it's supposedly reinventing.
    I was mistaken, Mei’s existence already ties into Ultimate Black Panther, so there’s that, and the lack of mutants + them not being known also ties into it (A little off topic, I also wonder if Janet will still be a mutant in the new Ultimate universe). It still feels part of the world but offers a different perspective from the other books, not just mutants, but who’re unaware of what the Maker did, and not affected by the council. I hope whenever there’s more ultimate books release, they can follow this example and do it’s own thing while still being in this world.

I was mistaken, Mei’s existence already ties into Ultimate Black Panther, so there’s that, and the lack of mutants + them not being known also ties into it (A little off topic, I also wonder if Janet will still be a mutant in the new Ultimate universe). It still feels part of the world but offers a different perspective from the other books, not just mutants, but who’re unaware of what the Maker did, and not affected by the council. I hope whenever there’s more ultimate books release, they can follow this example and do it’s own thing while still being in this world.
    I’m not sure that I quite agree with that take. A book honestly shouldn’t just keep its head down and do its own thing as, even if they aren’t aware of Maker’s schemes, they are still affected as his shadow council rules over them. A common theme with this line is essentially fighting back against what Maker did to the world in different ways; Peter Parker is essentially taking back his destiny that was stolen from him, Black Panther is fighting against the forces of Konshu and The Ultimates are setting right what the Maker broke. While the books aren’t really crossing over, they share that kind of cohesion that works for such a small universe. I’d say keeping your ducks in line prevents what happened with the previous Ultimate Universe where events couldn’t even line up in the same universe and what happened with Krakoa where everyone was just doing their own thing narrative be damned. The more things deviate, the more chaotic and out of sync things become.