Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Default Finally!

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    https://www.marvel.com/articles/comi...from-the-ashes

Stephanie Phillips and Alessandro Miracolo
    (dang it, it didn't fit their whole name in the title!)

PHOENIX #1
    Written by STEPHANIE PHILLIPS
    Art by ALESSANDRO MIRACOLO
    Cover by YASMINE PUTRI
    On Sale 7/17
    LIFE! FIRE! POWER! POSSIBILITY! PHOENIX! Feel the flames on Yasmine Putri’s PHOENIX #1 cover now and stay tuned tomorrow for another X-Men: From the Ashes series announcement!

Set in the X-Men’s upcoming From the Ashes era, Jean Grey headlines a new 'Phoenix' ongoing series by Stephanie Phillips and Alessandro Miracolo this July

As one of the most powerful heroes on Earth, Jean Grey stands apart from even her fellow Omega-Level mutants with her infinite potential. This July, the From the Ashes era begins, but as the X-Men regroup across the globe, Xavier’s first student will ascend to the cosmos to fulfill her divine destiny!

Behold the adventures of the universe’s newest savior in PHOENIX, a new ongoing Jean Grey solo series from hotshot Marvel writer Stephanie Phillips (SPIDER-GWEN: THE GHOST-SPIDER, BLACK WIDOW & HAWKEYE) and dynamic rising star artist Alessandro Miracolo (WHITE WIDOW).

During the final moments of Krakoa, currently being told in RISE OF THE POWERS OF X and X-MEN: FOREVER, Jean Grey finds herself at the epicenter of creation and rebirth known as the White Hot Room. What shocking metamorphosis occurs that leads to her adopting a new costume and taking to the stars as the Phoenix? And with her deadly reputation preceding her, will the galaxy kneel or cower before her greatness?

She is Jean Grey. She is Phoenix. She saves the world. She brings death. One woman, alone in space, who not only must do what no one else can: she yearns to. A desperate S.O.S. from Nova brings the Phoenix to the edge of a black hole, where hundreds of lives hang in the balance… and whatever Jean does—or fails to do—will bring darkness to the universe and haunt her in ways she can scarcely imagine…

"Jean is one of the most powerful characters I've ever written,” Phillips explained. "The beauty and challenge to Jean is that she is imbued with a cosmic force alongside the morals, shortcomings, and empathy of a human being. The dichotomy between those two is something incredibly special about Jean, and means that she is constantly doing a dance between humanity and absolute power."

"So, that dance is what we hope to have on full display in this story... a cosmic ballet that shows how beautiful the Phoenix Force can be when working in tandem with Jean Grey," she continued. "And let me assure you, Alessandro Miracolo has made that cosmic dance look absolutely gorgeous."

"This is fantastic! Being an X-Men fan since I was a kid, I’m so happy to work on such an important character like Phoenix, and Stephanie’s writing has been incredible!" Miracolo shared. "Depicting Phoenix out in the cosmos and unleashing her energy has been thrilling and simply epic, and there’s also really emotional moments that I hope to make the most of. I wish I could say more but I hope everyone is excited because this will be fun!"

Last month, fans got their first look at what awaits Marvel’s line of X-Men titles following the bold Krakoan Age with the reveal of three flagship series: Jed MacKay and Ryan Stegman’s X-MEN, Gail Simone and David Marquez’s UNCANNY X-MEN, and Eve L. Ewing and Carmen Carnero’s EXCEPTIONAL X-MEN.

The expansive mythos of the X-Men has always made space for additional series that test the limits and explore the far-reaching scope of the mutant metaphor. Fresh spins on classic X-Men titles and startling directions for your favorite mutants are just ahead, starting in July with X-FORCE, PHOENIX, and NYX
    Sign me up for this - STAT!

I've been waiting for FORTY-FOUR years for Jean Grey to get her just due!

I probably won’t pick this one up (although the Nova reference intrigues me) but it’s good for Jean fans. Great to see the Phoenix back where it belongs and not on whichever Avenger felt like trying it on that week.
    "When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — No, you move."

While I am really excited for Jean and will buy it because of Jean, I’m hoping Stephanie brings her A game to this title. I think she wrote some elswhere stories of WW and had a Harley Quinn run (didn’t read) and her writing was very poor considering how A list both characters are…I hope she had some time to think and share her script with the other writers from the X-men line.

Dang, y'all are making it seem like th writer is gonna be to Jean what Tini Howard was to Betsy

Incredible Member PhoenixStudies's Avatar

Stephanie Phillips has a Ph.D. in rhetoric and composition and an MA in English.

I thought her work on Wonder Woman and Harley Quinn was better received than her Rogue and Gambit book??

Fans seem to like her Grim book.

I'm trusting she can do great with Jean.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixStudies View Post
    Stephanie Phillips has a Ph.D. in rhetoric and composition and an MA in English.

I thought her work on Wonder Woman and Harley Quinn was better received than her Rogue and Gambit book??

Fans seem to like her Grim book.

I'm trusting she can do great with Jean.
    Wonder Woman is my top 2 (not number 2) character in comics and I just think her work wasn’t the best. I think she had Harley in it and that’s probably why I’m sour to her work. jean is my favorite from marvel so I want her to do better. That’s all

I feel bad for this new direction.
    "She never loved you, you know you always frightened her"- Cyclops
    "And if she was here right now....Who do you think she would be more frightened of?"- Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Like the premise… but VERY wary of the writer. That Rogue & Gambit series (which they conveniently didn’t mention in her credentials) ranks at the bottom of books I’ve started in the Krakoan era. I’ll try out the first issue for Jeannie.
    Lol oop. I clocked that, too.

At least Jean fans already are miles luckier than Rogue/Gambit fans were under outgoing editorial, since this time Phillips is likely not just getting handed an outline from a writer who actively dislikes her and/or the main relationship being centered.

(Then again. Guess we’ll see if she ties any innocent human allies to stoves in burning buildings at any point.)

Highly doubt she’ll be making any super basic mistakes about her powerset, or her relationship history, either. She’s active on Twitter, she knows what would happen to her lol.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Okay yeah I'm apprehensive, I don't think Phillips is a very strong writer. People have mentioned her Rogue and Gambit book, but she also wrote the last Cosmic Ghost Rider book was also a slog and just an excuse so she can create her own female Cosmic Ghost Rider.

Though a friend of mine told me there's an outpouring of people visibly excited she got the part for this so it looks like she does have a fanbase.

Quote Originally Posted by MarquisAsh View Post
    Wonder Woman is my top 2 (not number 2) character in comics and I just think her work wasn’t the best. I think she had Harley in it and that’s probably why I’m sour to her work. jean is my favorite from marvel so I want her to do better. That’s all
    Oh yeah Phillips also wrote the first 27 issues of the current Harley Quinn ongoing before the writer changed to Tini Howard.

I was extremely excited for this. But disappointed to hear that everyone dislikes the writer THAT much. Haven’t read anything from her. But the reactions are telling. Won’t buy any new book then, I think. Tired of marvel after the messy end of Krakoa.

Jean’s Phoenix story deserves a great visionary writer to work, I think. Just a space story is not enough for me. We had 1.000 books about it already in the cosmic side of things.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I'll say I'll laugh if her female Cosmic Ghost Rider does show up here.

Thats obviously a character that will only be used by the writer who created them and no one else.

I think if you're interested in the character, you should give it a chance if you like the premise. I wouldnt necessarily discount it purely based on the creative team. A team can hit on one book and and completely miss on another.

Everyone praised Duggan on Uncanny Avengers and thought him coming to the X Books would be good thing, and we see how that turned out. People LOVED Wells on Hellions, but are loathing him on Spiderman. So even though the announced writer may have a track record that isn't great, this could be the project where she hits. I'm definitely getting the first arc and judging from there because at the very least, the premise interests me greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    I was extremely excited for this. But disappointed to hear that everyone dislikes the writer THAT much. Haven’t read anything from her. But the reactions are telling. Won’t buy any new book then, I think. Tired of marvel after the messy end of Krakoa.

Jean’s Phoenix story deserves a great visionary writer to work, I think. Just a space story is not enough for me. We had 1.000 books about it already in the cosmic side of things.
    I wouldn't get so worried. The Rogue and Gambit mini, although I haven't read it, seems like something the X-Office published just because, since the characters weren't doing anything elsewhere and they know they have some fans who would buy their book. It felt to me like it came a bit out of nowhere. This one is part of the big relaunch, in a role that Jean has never really had before, after all the buildup that's been going on with her and the Phoenix in her mini, Immortal, Rise of the Powers of X and X-Men Forever.

It seems to me like there's more thought going into it from Marvel's side at least, and a much stronger and clear premise.

Not a fan of Jean as Phoenix. I would rather read a Jean story that has nothing to do with it
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Quote Originally Posted by Saturius View Post
    I think if you're interested in the character, you should give it a chance if you like the premise. I wouldnt necessarily discount it purely based on the creative team. A team can hit on one book and and completely miss on another.

Everyone praised Duggan on Uncanny Avengers and thought him coming to the X Books would be good thing, and we see how that turned out. People LOVED Wells on Hellions, but are loathing him on Spiderman. So even though the announced writer may have a track record that isn't great, this could be the project where she hits. I'm definitely getting the first arc and judging from there because at the very least, the premise interests me greatly.
    LOL...you posted examples of people going from good to bad. How often does a bad writer go from bad book to good one?