Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Didn't Rider die? I mean, it didn't look like a perma-death by any stretch, I'm just curious if he had been brought back before this.

Maybe Jean will hook up with Beta Ray Bill. I can only imagine ...
    No... well, yes, a lot, but he escaped the cancerverse years ago.

He got shot in X-men Red, and is currently in a coma. I'm hoping we'll see him recover before Phoenix #1 comes out, maybe in Heirs of Apocalypse, although that's got a pretty big cast as is. Looks like it takes place on Arrako, though, and that's Rich's last known location.
    No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit.
    - Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by Arachne View Post
    He got shot in X-men Red, and is currently in a coma. I'm hoping we'll see him recover before Phoenix #1 comes out, maybe in Heirs of Apocalypse, although that's got a pretty big cast as is. Looks like it takes place on Arrako, though, and that's Rich's last known location.
    Ah, okay - thanks. X-Men Red is what I was thinking of. I thought he had died rather than getting comaed. Either way, good to know he'll be playing a part in the initial story.

Default Let's Wait And See ...

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Too many times we have seen folks go after a creative and have not read a single book by said person. They just go those bias order numbers or word of mouth or something that does not involve picking up the book and READING it.

Also many times books are the victims of EDITORIAL antics.

Tom King's Heroes in Crisis- The ORIGINAL pitch was NOTHING like what we saw that had to be undone by another writer.
    And lets not forget how many writers have had plots dumped on them. Lean Williams Gwenpool was NOT her pitch.
    And it's editors hiring folks-how many writers have Black Panther had who HATED T'Challa? There is a reason Ultimate Black Panther is selling.

LOTS of times.

It's called the good olde boy network. It's how guys like Scott Lobdell got so many gigs at DC like Nightwing, Teen Titans and others. Only one book lasted 6 issues. The rest had long runs.

Yet as MANY folks I heard scream how bad he was-somehow those books SOLD.

So as much as folks cry about writers-funny how some have long runs when they are doing CERTAIN books. That get them MORE gigs.

While guys like McDuffie got passed over.
    THIS X 1000!

Let's remember that, about 40 years or so ago, a totally unknown writer took over the defunct Uncanny X-Men book.

And probably, at the time, no one believed was going anywhere.

That writer's name was Chris Claremont.

We know what happened after that ...

Stephanie Phillips talks about Jean and the series (see link below). Incidentally, I’m starting two of her works today: “Grim” and “We Only Kill Each Other.”

https://www.tiktok.com/@snapcrackles...Q1TgOblda&_r=1
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    Didn't Rider die? I mean, it didn't look like a perma-death by any stretch, I'm just curious if he had been brought back before this.

Maybe Jean will hook up with Beta Ray Bill. I can only imagine ...
    No. Rider is definitely alive. He was mentioned as being so but I’ve lost track of which book. He did take a beating though and was presumed to be out of action for a bit. I read it as he may or may not (likely the latter) be able to factor in the end of the Krakoa storyline, but no permanent damage done.

Edit: Oops. Should have read one page forward. @Arachne already had this covered and said it better than I did.
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    No. Rider is definitely alive. He was mentioned as being so but I’ve lost track of which book. He did take a beating though and was presumed to be out of action for a bit. I read it as he may or may not (likely the latter) be able to factor in the end of the Krakoa storyline, but no permanent damage done.

Edit: Oops. Should have read one page forward. @Arachne already had this covered and said it better than I did.
    Thanks. The issue in question is X-men Red #17. We don't know, yet, how much damage has been done. He certainly hasn't been cured, and we don't know the mental impact.

Screenshot_20240412_183615_Kindle.jpg

He was no better when he appeared briefly in X-men Unlimited #119.
    No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit.
    - Helen Keller

Astonishing Member

Personally, I wouldn't have selected this artist for a cosmic Phoenix series. If they want this series to sell, they need top-tier talent.

I'm slowly making my way through Phillips' work. I started Grim and We Only Kill Each Other, and both have me intrigued. Incidentally, I love the inclusion of narrative boxes in We Only Kill Each Other and hope we get this in Phoenix. (I haven't read Rogue & Gambit because I don't feel either character is remotely similar to Jean. I plan on reading it, though!) Also, I finished Cosmic Ghost Rider today, which was a quick, breezy read, and I have to say: I liked it a lot! It touched on many of the themes central to Jean's story, including guilt, dissociation, grappling with one's seemingly disparate facets, and being imbued with infinite power. From what I have read of Phillips' work thus far, I think she is capable of efficiently and effectively wielding the narrative elements necessary to make Phoenix great.

Also, the way Phillips has spoken of Jean and her identity as Phoenix leaves me feeling confident and excited. Based on her comments alone, I think she gets her—her stature, legacy, and potential. More importantly, I think she is aware of her biggest advantages in writing Jean: (1) She's dealing with an iconic and extremely multifaceted character who has a ton of backstory to draw from, and (2) she's also dealing with what has historically been one of Marvel's most undercut and undermined characters on the cusp of having received one of the best jump-starts in character development in recent memory. Collectively, the work of Duggan, Simonson, and Gillen has done much to remind readers of Jean's power and complexity. Their work combined practically constitutes a reset.

Ultimately, I think this is a perfect confluence of factors for both Phillips' writing and Jean's ongoing development. Excluding storylines like Phoenix Endsong and Phoenix Resurrection, and even brief yet pivotal appearances in arcs like Avengers Vs. X-Men and Uncanny X-Men #140.5, this year marks twenty years since Jean brazenly manifested her birthright if we count the entirety of New X-Men and, more specifically, Here Comes Tomorrow. That said, whether this series is a success or not—whether it lasts five issues or fifty—it offers Jean devotees one supreme advantage, which is that it underscores her stature, legacy, and popularity for a new generation. In turn, this will lead to a rise in fans of and curiosity about Jean, which is only going to be reinforced by X-Men '97 in May... That's a good thing.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Thanks for posting this, Mercury.

I thought the team just liked the Phoenix Logo that they chose from the past one of the Ultraverse, not that this new Jean story had anything to do with the Ultraverse. But it is good to read that info firsthand from the team.

So excited for Jean's new Phoenix story!
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]

"Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

Like a Red Dragon, The Phoenix shall Soar in 2024!

Astonishing Member Soulsword323's Avatar

No matter how this turns out, I for one am thrilled to see CC's original intention for Jean/Phoenix come to fruition all these years later. Seeing Jean finally become a space heroine is super cool, and I'm very eager to see how this plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I don't think most are mad at the direction. It's just that the creative team (the writer in particular) doesn't have the best track record. So it's normal to be disappointed when Jean's first real solo gets a divisive writer.
    First solo? It's only the first one called Phoenix. Teen Jean had a solo ongoing and there was that recent mini, both of which were called Jean Grey.

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    It's also got pointy Power Ranger shoulder "pads". That's the part that's driving me nuts.
    Ha, I can see the resemblance to Tommy's Dragon Shield.

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    More solos, huh? Got to admit, I was expecting only one or two - Wolverine obviously, and possibly Ms. Marvel (who got NYX instead).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Soulsword323 View Post
    No matter how this turns out, I for one am thrilled to see CC's original intention for Jean/Phoenix come to fruition all these years later. Seeing Jean finally become a space heroine is super cool, and I'm very eager to see how this plays out.
    All of this.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    More solos, huh? Got to admit, I was expecting only one or two - Wolverine obviously, and possibly Ms. Marvel (who got NYX instead).
    Most of them will effectively be mini-series, but that's OK. A good story is a good story.