Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 2345678 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by ARkadelphia View Post
    Richard Rider and the ghosts of 5 billion broccoli people will keep her social calendar occupied
    Didn't Rider die? I mean, it didn't look like a perma-death by any stretch, I'm just curious if he had been brought back before this.

Maybe Jean will hook up with Beta Ray Bill. I can only imagine ...
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 04-11-2024 at 08:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnostic View Post
    Is Jean wearing a fire-cape? That looks dope!
    Is that replacing the sash?

The Red Dragon

Quote Originally Posted by razzmatazz360 View Post
    i hope to see many galactic guest stars in the series:

- the Starjammers
    - Ariel
    - theGuardians of the Galaxy
    - Lifeguard and Slipstream
    I’ve never been a fan of the Starjammers. They’re not particularly interesting and Jean has interacted with them before.

Give me: Thanos, Silver Surfer, Thor etc

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    I'm sure the Shi'ar are going to be just thrilled.
    That's the kind of drama I'm hoping for.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Quote Originally Posted by Keno View Post
    I don't like this idea from the moment rumors came about her going to space, seeing these solicits this proves my point. Unless cosmic comics are team books and written by prominent writers, they cant turn out good. Some exceptions for good solo books are there of course but very few can pull it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    So excited!

This is a great time for all of the Jean fans who have been wanting and waiting for cosmic adventures.
    For these reasons, I'm feeling very "Be careful what you wish for..." about this new era launch. Compounded with the details that nothing that has been teased has had a wow factor yet. Even the new costume reeks of "this is temporary".
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    For these reasons, I'm feeling very "Be careful what you wish for..." about this new era launch. Compounded with the details that nothing that has been teased has had a wow factor yet. Even the new costume reeks of "this is temporary".
    Everything is "temporary" in these books, so it's about the journey.(I don't think anybody expects Jean to be parted from the X-Men forever) These are open-ended stories where there's no final destination. So don't let that prevent you from potentially enjoying the ride.

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wiccan View Post
    Right. Like, Jean kinda got her own book before but... Not like this. Her most recent one was a mini, mostly about rehashing past stuff (I don't necessarily mean this to be negative, I enjoyed the mini) and essentially a tie-in to the Fall of X. The one before that? Had teen Jean as the protagonist instead of the proper adult Jean. I don't think Phoenix Resurrection counts, it's more like an event or whatever, not really a solo even if it's about her. I think Cyclops and Phoenix can also count as a Jean book, but not fully solo and with a very specific premise + set in the future.

This is the first time, EVER, that we're really getting Jean as a solo character. As in, just herself doing her own stuff as a hero and not part of any team or family dynamic, and in space even. This is huge. The negativity is kind of disappointing.
    Agreed!

I'm not surprised by the negativity, I just hope we get a solid premise, strong writing, and a good hook to get readers attached.

I don't think most are mad at the direction. It's just that the creative team (the writer in particular) doesn't have the best track record. So it's normal to be disappointed when Jean's first real solo gets a divisive writer.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Is that replacing the sash?
    Oh man, I really hope that isn't a fire cape. That detail would make this unnecessary update even worse. If it is a fire cape then it becomes a Firebird (Bonita)/Phoenix mash-up as far as the costume goes and I do not like that idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    I mean, I think it's inevitable she's going to get de-powered or scaled back otherwise she won't be able to work on Earth again.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    What were they thinking? John Byrne's Phoenix costume design is perfect. It's like Spidey's red and blue suit or Darth Vader's armor; it's instantly recognizable and doesn't need modernization. Tron lines? Seriously?
    It's basically the Cockrum Phoenix suit minus the sash and with a bit more black (on the legs) and the tiara.

If it's a Phoenix fire "cape"...I don think it is...that is a nice call back to how Rachel's Phoenix form manifested.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    It's basically the Cockrum Phoenix suit minus the sash and with a bit more black (on the legs) and the tiara.

If it's a Phoenix fire "cape"...I don think it is...that is a nice call back to how Rachel's Phoenix form manifested.
    It's also got pointy Power Ranger shoulder "pads". That's the part that's driving me nuts. But seriously the Cockrum design was perfection and didn't need to be messed with. If there is an actual fire cape coming off the ridiculous pointy disco shoulder thing then I can't. I just can't. Sucks too because I've waited for Jean to be Phoenix again since middle school.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

That's just the original black chest detail extended out over the shoulders. They're not pads. It is a little outdated, truth to tell, but I suppose it gives the look a more space/cosmic feel.

I wonder who designed it. It would have been nice if Valerio Schiti had redesigned her Phoenix costume. His Cosmic characters in GODS are chef's kisses.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member Celestialbodies's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by M@Bowers2014 View Post
    Oh man, I really hope that isn't a fire cape. That detail would make this unnecessary update even worse. If it is a fire cape then it becomes a Firebird (Bonita)/Phoenix mash-up as far as the costume goes and I do not like that idea.
    TBF, the way the cape is shaped, how is that any different than this:

That's just the original black chest detail extended out over the shoulders. They're not pads. It is a little outdated, truth to tell, but I suppose it gives the look a more space/cosmic feel.

I wonder who designed it. It would have been nice if Valerio Schiti had redesigned her Phoenix costume. His Cosmic characters in GODS are chef's kisses.

It's reminiscnence of this version of the costume from that AXM What If several years ago, which incidentally is my favorite version of the Phoenix costume.

I was wondering along the same lines about what Schiti's take on Phoenix given his G.O.D.S. designs for cosmic types...

Quote Originally Posted by Celestialbodies View Post
    TBF, the way the cape is shaped, how is that any different than this:

Seconded. Worse ways to go rather than a Rachel reference...
    Protected by the Comics Code Authority
    YES Capes. YES Masks. YES Secret Identities.