Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Exodus View Post
    I was extremely excited for this. But disappointed to hear that everyone dislikes the writer THAT much. Haven’t read anything from her. But the reactions are telling. Won’t buy any new book then, I think. Tired of marvel after the messy end of Krakoa.

Jean’s Phoenix story deserves a great visionary writer to work, I think. Just a space story is not enough for me. We had 1.000 books about it already in the cosmic side of things.
    Too many times we have seen folks go after a creative and have not read a single book by said person. They just go those bias order numbers or word of mouth or something that does not involve picking up the book and READING it.

Also many times books are the victims of EDITORIAL antics.

Tom King's Heroes in Crisis- The ORIGINAL pitch was NOTHING like what we saw that had to be undone by another writer.
    And lets not forget how many writers have had plots dumped on them. Lean Williams Gwenpool was NOT her pitch.
    And it's editors hiring folks-how many writers have Black Panther had who HATED T'Challa? There is a reason Ultimate Black Panther is selling.

LOL...you posted examples of people going from good to bad. How often does a bad writer go from bad book to good one?
    LOTS of times.

It's called the good olde boy network. It's how guys like Scott Lobdell got so many gigs at DC like Nightwing, Teen Titans and others. Only one book lasted 6 issues. The rest had long runs.

Yet as MANY folks I heard scream how bad he was-somehow those books SOLD.

So as much as folks cry about writers-funny how some have long runs when they are doing CERTAIN books. That get them MORE gigs.

While guys like McDuffie got passed over.

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post

LOTS of times.

It's called the good olde boy network. It's how guys like Scott Lobdell got so many gigs at DC like Nightwing, Teen Titans and others. Only one book lasted 6 issues. The rest had long runs.

Yet as MANY folks I heard scream how bad he was-somehow those books SOLD.

So as much as folks cry about writers-funny how some have long runs when they are doing CERTAIN books. That get them MORE gigs.

While guys like McDuffie got passed over.
    What are examples in the X-line? That the material I have context for. I wouldnt ven consider Lobdell a bad writer as he was one of my faves from the 90s

Fantastic Member

Honestly the more info they give about these new titles the less interested I become. This is such a boring regression.

My first major takeaway is that there's no improving on the original Phoenix design. The new suit isn't terrible, but it's just not going to top the classic design. Also where's the sash?

Secondly, conceptually I like the idea of Jean going full cosmic and really getting to strut her stuff as Phoenix for a bit...but I feel like inevitably they're going to have to scale her back or de-power her by the time she ends up back on Earth.

It'll be nice to see Nova. I hope he doesn't get screwed over.

I wonder if she's still with Scott or if they're in communication.

Pitch sounds like returning to the idea Claremont had back when Jean first became Phoenix. She becomes cosmic Thor-level and moves on. But editorial did not like it and, ever since, she has been brought back down to earth and trapped at team level. All to say, let’s see where this goes. Hopefully they will be all in on the idea. Too bad it’s not Ewing at the helm.

Spectacular Member mattsarchamp's Avatar

So much negativity on the writer. The only good thing I found was Stephanie Phillips' Cap Wolf and The Howling Commando based on the review and critics. Allesandro Miracolo on art might be the redeeming point of this book.
    Peerless and Fearless

The Red Dragon

I’ve only read Rogue and Gambit and didnt enjoy it. But willing to give this a go.

Delicious on every level.
    Jean Grey in the words of Walt Whitman, from his masterpiece Leaves of Grass, "Song of Myself" (51 and 52):

"Do I contradict myself? Very well then I contradict myself, (I am large, I contain multitudes.)"

"Failing to fetch me at first keep encouraged, Missing me one place search another, I stop somewhere waiting for you."

Quote Originally Posted by Mercury View Post
    Delicious on every level.
    Finally some positivity....LOL

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

What were they thinking? John Byrne's Phoenix costume design is perfect. It's like Spidey's red and blue suit or Darth Vader's armor; it's instantly recognizable and doesn't need modernization. Tron lines? Seriously?

So lets see. We’ve gone from “gee, Jean has been dead waaay too long! We need her in action!”, straight to “I never liked Jean as a character or as Phoenix!”, “I don’t like the writer, because I don’t like the treatment given to character A or B, so character C can’t be any good”.

People, Jean has been given a shot at a solo series, with her true heritage as Phoenix alive and well, after so many years of abuse by others. I don’t know why some of you even bother, because clearly reading these books make you miserable. When the book comes out, read an issue. If you dont like it, there are many, many other books that can be read. Please stop whining for once.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    What were they thinking? John Byrne's Phoenix costume design is perfect. It's like Spidey's red and blue suit or Darth Vader's armor; it's instantly recognizable and doesn't need modernization. Tron lines? Seriously?
    Spidey's costume has been modernized multiple times and thats been a good thing

Incredible Member The Thunderbird's Avatar

I'm so happy that Jean will get to do something this era let alone getting her own book. While I prefer seeing Jean as an earthbound hero alongside her mutant family I'd love to see her get a grasp on her power and use it as a force for good.

Quote Originally Posted by SugarMan View Post
    So lets see. We’ve gone from “gee, Jean has been dead waaay too long! We need her in action!”, straight to “I never liked Jean as a character or as Phoenix!”, “I don’t like the writer, because I don’t like the treatment given to character A or B, so character C can’t be any good”.

People, Jean has been given a shot at a solo series, with her true heritage as Phoenix alive and well, after so many years of abuse by others. I don’t know why some of you even bother, because clearly reading these books make you miserable. When the book comes out, read an issue. If you dont like it, there are many, many other books that can be read. Please stop whining for once.
    Right. Like, Jean kinda got her own book before but... Not like this. Her most recent one was a mini, mostly about rehashing past stuff (I don't necessarily mean this to be negative, I enjoyed the mini) and essentially a tie-in to the Fall of X. The one before that? Had teen Jean as the protagonist instead of the proper adult Jean. I don't think Phoenix Resurrection counts, it's more like an event or whatever, not really a solo even if it's about her. I think Cyclops and Phoenix can also count as a Jean book, but not fully solo and with a very specific premise + set in the future.

This is the first time, EVER, that we're really getting Jean as a solo character. As in, just herself doing her own stuff as a hero and not part of any team or family dynamic, and in space even. This is huge. The negativity is kind of disappointing.

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Thunderbird View Post
    I'm so happy that Jean will get to do something this era let alone getting her own book. While I prefer seeing Jean as an earthbound hero alongside her mutant family I'd love to see her get a grasp on her power and use it as a force for good.
    If the other designs were anywhere near as popular, they wouldn't keep going back to the iconic original.