Fantastic Member

Default Which Writers Are Best & Worst With Continuity?

I'm a new reader and all but I was looking at a review of a collection that included some work by Mike Carey. The review said:
    X-Men Legacy is targeted more towards long-term fans, with Professor X, Gambit and Rogue as its core characters. Mike Carey and Christos Gage, both of whom are continuity hounds, guided Legacy through most of its run.
    I took this to mean they are exceptionally well versed in X-Men continuity and try to stick to it and/or reference it as much as possible. I took this reviewer at their word since I certainly can't tcontradictthem.

But it made me wonder - if they are noted for their sticking so close to continuity, what other writers are held in similar esteem?

Conversely, what writers are noted to be terrible with continuity?

Gage and Carey are, as noted, notorious for excellent deep delves. Likewise Al Ewing. I thought Leah Williams did a really good job during her time on X-Factor too, and I wouldn't be surprised if Gail Simone digs up some fun bits for her X-Men run.

Spurrier is another of my faves, but he def plays fast and loose with character continuity (though, lbh, after X-Men Blue, I'd be willing to forgive him anything, even if I wasn't already fond of his work).

Foxe and Orlando are known for their deep cuts in forgotten moments and characters.

Stay away from Bendis
    “Generally, one knows me before hating me” -Quicksilver

Fantastic Member

Best: Mike Carey and Cullen bunn, Al Ewing.
    Worst: Bendis
    Last edited by mbm721; 04-11-2024 at 04:12 AM.

Bendis, Jason Aaron and Marc Guggenheim are the worst in many aspects (continuity being one of them).

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    Bendis, Jason Aaron and Marc Guggenheim are the worst in many aspects (continuity being one of them).
    I can agree with this lol

Al Ewing is known for digging into continuity and I love him for it.
    "I AM A GODDESS OF LIFE AS WELL AS OF STORMS. IF IT IS WITHIN MY POWER TO SAVE YOU -- I SHALL." - ORORO MUNROE

Quote Originally Posted by Sunny View Post
    I can agree with this lol

Al Ewing is known for digging into continuity and I love him for it.
    Yeah among all the writers that are good and love continuity, Al Ewing is at the top.

percy definitely worst

best I'll say ewing

Agree on most of the best mentioned, and I'll add in Hickman... he used the past to inform Krakoa... liberties taken on Moira obviously, but it still sorta works in many ways.

Worst- Morrison. And Nicezia - while i am a big fan deserves and honorable mention for Kwannom/Betsy mix up that we're stuck with to deal with to this day.

Kyle and Yost, fabian, are the best
    "She never loved you, you know you always frightened her"- Cyclops
    "And if she was here right now....Who do you think she would be more frightened of?"- Wolverine

Quote Originally Posted by Nicoclaws View Post
    Foxe and Orlando are known for their deep cuts in forgotten moments and characters.
    Yeah Foxe and Orlando love diving deep and pulling out fun surprises for long time readers.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Fantastic Member

Some of the worst writers in terms of continuity keeping that have not been mentioned would be Grant Morrison who did some funky things with established continuity and Chuck Austen who seemed to know the continuity but did not seem to care. I am half tempted to also say Ed Brubaker because even though I love the characters he created, I never could vibe with the whole second team of X-Men existing.

Some of the best writers would be Chris Claremont would take some of the rougher edges of the kooky established characters and stories from the 60s X-Men run and made them work for his run so much so that a lot of people thought he came up with some of those ideas. I would also add (WITHOUT endorsing either creator actions as human beings) Scott Lobdell and Joss Whedon who had a strong sense of contiuity and world building in their stories. Even if they are awful awful human beings.

Extraordinary Member

I find this to be an interesting topic as the question of how much someone follows continuity is vague. A lot of mentions to writers who pull 'obscure' stuff to use but if it is just brought back to twist into something new or just for little purpose other than to mention it, that feels different. Bendis is great at digging deep for things to use, but he also ignores things that happen in his own books.