Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

Default What if Marvel bought Wildstorm, how would that affect the X-Books?

If Marvel had bought Wildstorm personally think it would have an incredible success (IF DONE CIRRECTLY)where they integrate them with fully due to the part I have read the whole X-Men/WildCats series along with Gen 13/Gen X and Team 7 & Team X. I would love to have seen Cable team with Team7 or the Authority meet Captain Britain.
    My point is Wildstorm would give the X-Men new antagonist that will make the X-Men shine plus new allies granted this is just my humble opinion but DC barely knows what to do with the characters they due to their obsession with Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman.
    Wildstorm & Marvel have great stories together it would be a tragedy if they do not have anymore.
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

I have liked what DC did with Authority (and Apollo and Midnighter were very lucky to end up in Orlando's hands, IMHO), but the lack of use of the Authority after that poor-sell relaunch (and then Apollo and Middy basically vanished after Orlando left them)... meh.
    I think it would've been interesting to see Brian, with his ethics, clash with the Authority. Although it's more likely that they would've become part of the Avengers rogue gallery.
    We would get plenty of Midnighter Vs Wolverine.

All in all, I'm not sure the Wildstorm universe would've been treated better?
    First Warren in Dark X-Men #1, and then Genis-Vell in Captain Marvel #1. Seriously, Marvel?!
    Avatar reflecting my mood. I couldn't stand the sunny high-flying Angel one anymore.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Britain of Earth 20 View Post
    If Marvel had bought Wildstorm personally think it would have an incredible success (IF DONE CIRRECTLY)where they integrate them with fully due to the part I have read the whole X-Men/WildCats series along with Gen 13/Gen X and Team 7 & Team X. I would love to have seen Cable team with Team7 or the Authority meet Captain Britain.
    My point is Wildstorm would give the X-Men new antagonist that will make the X-Men shine plus new allies granted this is just my humble opinion but DC barely knows what to do with the characters they due to their obsession with Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman.
    Wildstorm & Marvel have great stories together it would be a tragedy if they do not have anymore.
    Is this refering to the situation at Marvel in the early to mid 90's, when the company went into a buying spree under Perelman, until having to file for bankruptcy because overexpanding and overreaching into often doomed endavours?

Because looking at what was apparently going on behind the scenes back then, including the utter mismanagement of both the company and the american comicbook industry at large, then it would seem an acquisition of Wildstorm would have been anything but successfull.

Infact there is a good chance Wildstorm would be in an even worse state now.

I feel like there’s more redundancy between Marvel and WildStorm than there was between DC and WildStorm. So many WS concepts seemed built to riff on Marvel concepts.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I feel like there’s more redundancy between Marvel and WildStorm than there was between DC and WildStorm. So many WS concepts seemed built to riff on Marvel concepts.
    Cosigned. Gen13 was basically the original five X-Men updated for the 90s and the "MTV Generation," at least in terms of its basic premise of superpowered teenagers learning to harness their abilities to survive in a world that feared and hated them. Hell, it was going to be called Gen-X before Marvel put the kibosh on that with the trademark for Generation X, from my recollection of events. Not to mention, the overall theme of governments and corporations trying to control and exploit real superpowers and those possessing them for their own dubious agendas would be well in line with a lot of X-Men stories, to say nothing of the wider Marvel Universe whenever human governmental authorities or corporate institutions remembered that mutants were far from the only game in town vis-a-vis superpowers. Oh, and as someone who's enjoyed X-Men/Spider-Man team-ups since their 90s animated series crossover (and the Time's Arrow prose novel trilogy), another Spider-Man/Gen13 would be very much up my alley as well.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

Exactly.

There is a reason that Marvel most likely never even would have considered buying the "Wildstorm..." IP.

Incredible Member Captain Britain of Earth 20's Avatar

I am a big fan of the X-Men/WildCats books including the Team X/Team7 crossover just would like to see sequels to the books
    Be yourself everyone is taken !! I'm an X-Man trapped in the DC omniverse

To answer your question, look what Marvel has done with the Malibu Ultraverse since they purchased them back in the 90’s……….yeah, nothing.
    Favorite Characters: Wolfsbane, Storm, Psylcoke, Beast, Feral, Tempo, Nightcrawler, Quicksilver

Favorite Titles: X-Men Red, Legion of X, Marauders, Hellions

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Cosigned. Gen13 was basically the original five X-Men updated for the 90s and the "MTV Generation," at least in terms of its basic premise of superpowered teenagers learning to harness their abilities to survive in a world that feared and hated them. Hell, it was going to be called Gen-X before Marvel put the kibosh on that with the trademark for Generation X, from my recollection of events. Not to mention, the overall theme of governments and corporations trying to control and exploit real superpowers and those possessing them for their own dubious agendas would be well in line with a lot of X-Men stories, to say nothing of the wider Marvel Universe whenever human governmental authorities or corporate institutions remembered that mutants were far from the only game in town vis-a-vis superpowers. Oh, and as someone who's enjoyed X-Men/Spider-Man team-ups since their 90s animated series crossover (and the Time's Arrow prose novel trilogy), another Spider-Man/Gen13 would be very much up my alley as well.
    One can also draw a line between most of the members of the Wildcats and the X-Men they are based on, often with a coat of paint taken from a Justice League member. Grifter looks like Gambit meets Vigilante, Spartan is Cyclops meets Red Tornado, and so on.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

I'm a fan of both OG recipe Wildstorm as well as the later Warren Ellis-driven era including The Wild Storm reboot.

Leaving aside all real-world considerations of how poor Marvel's acquisitions of other publishers and universes have gone in the past and just geeking out... I would absolutely love for the WS universe to be integrated with Marvel's X-universe. The X-Men/WildC.A.T.S. crossover is probably my favourite intercompany crossover of all time right after X-Men/New Teen Titans and I think the likes of the WildC.A.T.S, Gen13 and The Authority would be right at home mixing up with the mutants.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    One can also draw a line between most of the members of the Wildcats and the X-Men they are based on, often with a coat of paint taken from a Justice League member. Grifter looks like Gambit meets Vigilante, Spartan is Cyclops meets Red Tornado, and so on.
    Good point there.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncanny X-Man View Post
    I'm a fan of both OG recipe Wildstorm as well as the later Warren Ellis-driven era including The Wild Storm reboot.

Leaving aside all real-world considerations of how poor Marvel's acquisitions of other publishers and universes have gone in the past and just geeking out... I would absolutely love for the WS universe to be integrated with Marvel's X-universe. The X-Men/WildC.A.T.S. crossover is probably my favourite intercompany crossover of all time right after X-Men/New Teen Titans and I think the likes of the WildC.A.T.S, Gen13 and The Authority would be right at home mixing up with the mutants.
    I'd especially love to see The Authority, insofar as The Authority is, somewhat ironically, an outright antiestablishment superpowered strike force aiming to change the world for the better, whether the powers that be want it changed or not . . . and that could lead to some seriously epic clashes with the likes of the more established superhero teams in the MU.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I am a big fan of the X-Men/WildCats books...
    Same here. The one from Travis Charest is an All-Time Fave

...including the Team X/Team7 crossover just would like to see sequels to the books
    Ditto! It'd be great if they could bring back the original creative team, though...

Last edited by K7P5V; 04-12-2024 at 09:51 PM.
    "Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

The Red Dragon

Jean would start dating Grifter.

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

I used to read Image back in the day. Wildcats, Stormwatch, Gen 13, Youngblood and Spawn. I actually thought Spawn was boring despite most of the artwork being great. Let's not forget CC as guest author. I read all the X-Men/Wildcats too which were good fun. That said I don't think buying Wildstorm from DC would change much of anything. They have purchased IPs in the past and done nothing with them.

It depends.
    Wildcats and Gen 13 are obvious X-men rip-offs, but even those teams have characters like Zealot and Majestic that are even closer rip-offs of Superman and Wonder Woman for example.
    Then you have the Authority which is the Justice League.
    Planetary is inspired by the Fantastic 4 but they actually have their own evil F4.
    So it’s actually pretty split. It would be interesting if each company kept what the other lacked lol.
    So DC keeps Gen 13, but Marvel gets Authority for example.