Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    To be fair, Ms Marvel already has so much media exposure that she's already on the verge of being A list.
    The biggest problem is that she takes away focus from characters who actually need to be on an X-team to appear at all.
    She's a proven solo star already and her own team (Champions) still had potential to become a bigger thing.
    And she arguably fits better in the Avengers corner than the X-Men.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toonstrack View Post
    I thought the GOTG run was great. It bore almost no similarity to the movies aside from roster; I thought it did something extremely ambitious and cool with the characters that was needed. But it was a bit of a slow burn and it was bold so I'm not surprised some didn't like it.
    I think it made more sense as an Elseworlds than having anything to do with the main comics Guardians team.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    Yeah I’m a little surprised some folks are having such a visceral reaction to it considering it seems to be the only book (so far) that is directly reacting to and grieving Krakoa, and focusing on mutant community. Plus 3/5 have roots in New X-Men and Sophie is from the same gen (and some folks here are constantly clamoring for more of that group). The Ms. Marvel of it all is a reality I’ve come to accept and at least she’s not taking up the ONE young mutant spot on another roster.

Edit: Interesting to hear about folks’ experiences with these writers. I’d heard good things about their Captain America run and horrible things about their GotG run (which was clearly movie synergy and such a step backwards from what Ewing did).
    I know them from their Star Trek work, which I've enjoyed.
    Last edited by Anduinel; 04-12-2024 at 03:51 PM.

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    And she arguably fits better in the Avengers corner than the X-Men.

I think it made more sense as an Elseworlds than having anything to do with the main comics Guardians team.
    I'd argue the story is just inherently stupid regardless of it was an AU.

The gist is that Groot becomes an all-consuming planet monster that horrifyingly absorbs an entire solar systems worth of people and we're supposed to think its a good thing because "its natural" and "people are connected" turning the Guardians into a brainwashed cult.

Rather neatly sums up all the issues with Kelly and Lanzing, they love doing high concept stories that change everything but lack any writing ability to actually handle their ideas so they just wind up incredibly pretentious and stupid.
    Last edited by Mantis-Ray; 04-12-2024 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    Rather neatly sums up all the issues with Kelly and Lanzing, they love doing high concept stories that change everything but lack any writing ability to actually handle their ideas so they just wind up incredibly pretentious and stupid.
    Pretty much my thoughts exactly. They come up with some interesting hooks but have no ability to execute them competently.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

how old are all the core characters supposed to be at this point, if they are living on their own in New York City? And what borough(s)?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypestyle View Post
    how old are all the core characters supposed to be at this point, if they are living on their own in New York City? And what borough(s)?
    On twitter, the writer said that all except Kamala are in their early 20's.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Look at it this way...With Kamla there they're banking on her popularity to draw in her readership fan-base. If done well...Prodigy, Anole and Sophie might actually become popular.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I'll say the funny thing about is that Marvel's clear disinterest in reviving Champions indicates it really never did well.

So now they are looking for another team for Kamala.

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    Look at it this way...With Kamla there they're banking on her popularity to draw in her readership fan-base. If done well...Prodigy, Anole and Sophie might actually become popular.
    Prodigy had his chance on Gillen's Young Avengers tho. Will this book sell MORE than that? Kinda doubt it considering the market place. Honestly feel he would be better served teaming up with Speed on some Avengers book like Sam and Berto. And as Mantis said, Kamala's presence in Champions did nothing for that book or for some of her lesser known teammates like Viv Vision.

Sophie is such a random choice. Like WHY? And as much as I love Krakoa, resurrecting Sophie and Esme was a mistake as I feel Morrison probably wanted the Cuckoos to be whittled down to 3 to reflect the mean girl trinity trope from Heathers (Mean Girls coincidentally came out a few months after Esme's death) and from myth and literature like the Fates and The Weird Sisters

Last edited by Confuzzled; 04-13-2024 at 02:56 PM.

I think this is the book that gives us the best change at seeing other Academy X members.

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I'll say the funny thing about is that Marvel's clear disinterest in reviving Champions indicates it really never did well.

So now they are looking for another team for Kamala.
    Champions was pretty much undercut by relaunches and COVID.

Granted Marvel has a complete inability to keep a consistent teen Superhero team.

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    I think this is the book that gives us the best change at seeing other Academy X members.
    The writer has said as much.

https://twitter.com/JacksonLanzing/s...12883363815886

https://twitter.com/JacksonLanzing/s...13077266493892

https://twitter.com/JacksonLanzing/s...15225953878076

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Champions was pretty much undercut by relaunches and COVID.

Granted Marvel has a complete inability to keep a consistent teen Superhero team.
    Yeah, COVID totally screwed over the Eve Ewing book - she left after five issues, Danny Lore took over but also only lasted five. They really should've given it another go - not least because it'd be better movie synergy than having Kamala in the X books considering the post-credit scene in The Marvels.

I do wonder though if there's been a recent change of plans... the teen heroes showing up in Spider-Woman are called New Champions in the solicits, matching last year's variant covers which first showed their designs - but Web of Spider-Man called them The Assembly. If they're not using the Champions name now, could they already be preparing for what happens AFTER NYX?

Quote Originally Posted by The Lame Ugly Looking Joke View Post
    On twitter, the writer said that all except Kamala are in their early 20's.
    Yeah, Kamala is 18. The others ought to be 21 - at least physically (Sophie would actually only be less than five years old, because she's a clone born in a teenage body, similar to Conner Kent Superboy at DC).
    Last edited by Digifiend; 04-13-2024 at 04:34 PM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah, COVID totally screwed over the Eve Ewing book - she left after five issues, Danny Lore took over but also only lasted five. They really should've given it another go - not least because it'd be better movie synergy than having Kamala in the X books considering the post-credit scene in The Marvels.

I do wonder though if there's been a recent change of plans... the teen heroes showing up in Spider-Woman are called New Champions in the solicits, matching last year's variant covers which first showed their designs - but Web of Spider-Man called them The Assembly. If they're not using the Champions name now, could they already be preparing for what happens AFTER NYX?

Yeah, Kamala is 18. The others ought to be 21 - at least physically (Sophie would actually only be less than five years old, because she's a clone born in a teenage body, similar to Conner Kent Superboy at DC).
    I think it's less that it was a change of plans probably and more that the solicit called them New Champions so that people understood what was being teased even if that doesn't make sense in story as the name.

Quote Originally Posted by DragonsChi View Post
    While I am happy people are getting characters they enjoy in a title I have to say … I audibly LOL when I saw this cover.

Good Luck, this title will need it.
    When I first saw this I thought "This looks like it's going to be a sitting around while eating book" I felt bad for stereotyping it like that... until I saw that Kamala it's holding a coffee cup in the group photo! LMAO
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest