Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member Mantis-Ray's Avatar

I'll give the writers this, the personal moments of Cap hanging out with the civilians, teaching a kid to box, taking an art class and befriending his classmates, were the best parts of their Cap run before it became too subsumed by the constantly escalating Circle plot.

So if this book is largely small scale moments then it has the potential to be decent.

Aye. They sorta did the thing I hoped they would. Kamala in a book with X-Men characters close to her age! Now all it has to do is be good. And purchased. And be successful and . . . !@$%
    Well . . .
    Love Kamala. I will buy it for her. Still not a fan of them making her a mutant though.
    “After all, it could only cost you your life, and you got that for free!”
    ~*Earthbound.

Spectacular Member Galen Nycroft's Avatar

Kelly and Lanzing are probably the most boring writers at Marvel right now. They are the 'Phil Noto' of writers. Not sure who greenlit them on an X book.

Why is a D-List character like Kamala Khan out front like it's her book? If anything, I would have thought they'd put X23 as the anchor. Speaking of...why do they have her looking like a brokedown Fortnite character? She deserved better!

Quote Originally Posted by Mantis-Ray View Post
    I'll give the writers this, the personal moments of Cap hanging out with the civilians, teaching a kid to box, taking an art class and befriending his classmates, were the best parts of their Cap run before it became too subsumed by the constantly escalating Circle plot.

So if this book is largely small scale moments then it has the potential to be decent.
    This feels like it's going to be Degrassi by way of X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by Galen Nycroft View Post
    Kelly and Lanzing are probably the most boring writers at Marvel right now. They are the 'Phil Noto' of writers. Not sure who greenlit them on an X book.

Why is a D-List character like Kamala Khan out front like it's her book? If anything, I would have thought they'd put X23 as the anchor. Speaking of...why do they have her looking like a brokedown Fortnite character? She deserved better!
    She's the current pet character of the company and they are using the X-Men as a way to keep continuing to grow the character.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Spectacular Member Galen Nycroft's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    She's the current pet character of the company and they are using the X-Men as a way to keep continuing to grow the character.
    For this to happen, she needs to have her "trial by fire" defining moment that she becomes a real character. Think "Young Betsy Braddock trapped alone in the mansion with Sabretooth" or "The GenX kids witnessing their teammate Blink sacrificing herself". She can't just be played for laughs, or the be the adorkable quippy girl.

Congrats to the YA, Reddit, and Tumblr crowd for their first official From the Ashes X-Men title!

Kamala had her trials of fire, multiple times.
    She is the second most popular teen character, behind Miles and before Laura, so of course she's in front and center.
    I don't like her being in X-books, I don't like the way she was put in the X-Men like she was the new mutant messiah, but let's be real: she's not hijacking the X-kids populary here. It's the X-kids who are hijacking her popularity.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

BANNED

Calling Kamala D-list is hilarious when she's easily the most popular, well known and successful character on this roster.
    For this to happen, she needs to have her "trial by fire" defining moment that she becomes a real character. Think "Young Betsy Braddock trapped alone in the mansion with Sabretooth" or "The GenX kids witnessing their teammate Blink sacrificing herself". She can't just be played for laughs, or the be the adorkable quippy girl.

Congrats to the YA, Reddit, and Tumblr crowd for their first official From the Ashes X-Men title!
    Yeah I can only take this to mean you haven't actually read any of Kamala's comics before she became a mutant.

Yeah - Kamala's actually been killed off twice, and you think she hasn't had a trial by fire? The first time was in Champions (apparently electricity is her Kryptonite, and she got slain by Zzzax), Miles had to do a deal with Mephisto to save her (and Viv Vision), but in doing so accidentally sacrificed a civilian girl he'd saved. Both Kamala and Miles kind of BSODed because of that, leaving Viv in temporary charge of the team. The second death was in Amazing Spider-Man (thanks to a magic dagger which like the earlier electric death, disabled her healing factor), which led to her resurrection by the X-Men.

Quote Originally Posted by mugiwara View Post
    Kamala had her trials of fire, multiple times.
    She is the second most popular teen character, behind Miles and before Laura, so of course she's in front and center.
    I don't like her being in X-books, I don't like the way she was put in the X-Men like she was the new mutant messiah, but let's be real: she's not hijacking the X-kids populary here. It's the X-kids who are hijacking her popularity.
    This is true. Kamala's already had her own live action TV show and been in a movie (The Marvels), and was also in several cartoons (main cast in Avengers Assemble season 4: Secret Wars and Marvel Rising, focus episode in Marvel Future Avengers, and guest appearances in Marvel's Spider-Man and Spidey and His Amazing Friends) and the Avengers video game. Laura only has the movie appearance (Logan) and two cartoons (X-Men Evolution which she was created for, and Wolverine & The X-Men). Miles of course was in the last three Spider-Man cartoons (Ultimate Spider-Man, Marvel's Spider-Man, and S&HAF, main cast in the latter two) as well as having his own film series (Spider-Verse) and his own video game (while also being playable in Peter's two games). Sorry X-23 fans, but going from the amount of multimedia appearances Kamala is more popular than Laura. Of course it's probably Marvel's own fault because they buried the X-Men in merchandise for a while meaning no more cartoon or video game appearances.
    Last edited by Digifiend; 04-14-2024 at 06:48 AM.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Kamala had her trials of fire, multiple times.She is the second most popular teen character, behind Miles
    Yeah, but the distance between the one and two spots is so very steep. It's like having a hundred dollar bill and a nickel and being equally excited for both.

I.... don't think anyone is hijacking anyone's popularity here.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Quote Originally Posted by NewMutant View Post
    So you backdoor Kamala into a whole other universe in an attempt to keep her relevant?? Yet, we have so many other young mutants that could be used....very bad form!

Quote Originally Posted by dkrook View Post
    So you backdoor Kamala into a whole other universe in an attempt to keep her relevant?? Yet, we have so many other young mutants that could be used....very bad form!
    Family. Kamala was backdoored into a new family of books. Miles was the one who was backdoored into a whole other universe.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Im kind of excited to see who they rotate in and out of NYX.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Sorry X-23 fans, but going from the amount of multimedia appearances Kamala is more popular than Laura. Of course it's probably Marvel's own fault because they buried the X-Men in merchandise for a while meaning no more cartoon or video game appearances.
    Nah, this is obvious and should be for everyone, Kamala is more popular, her series were quite recent and movie came out this or last year? Also lack of merchandise for Logan was brutal, I feel robbed of Marvel Legends of Dafne Keen as Laura.

I don't enjoy Ms Marvel as X-Man (love her solo series), but I hope she increases live of this ongoing. What writers said in Marvel article sounds like good premise.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakurai View Post
    Nah, this is obvious and should be for everyone, Kamala is more popular, her series were quite recent and movie came out this or last year? Also lack of merchandise for Logan was brutal, I feel robbed of Marvel Legends of Dafne Keen as Laura.

I don't enjoy Ms Marvel as X-Man (love her solo series), but I hope she increases live of this ongoing. What writers said in Marvel article sounds like good premise.

I think the same. I don't think a series with only The Cuckoos + Prodigy + Anole would reach number 6 by themselves. With Kamala (and Laura) I think NYX has one of the highest chances of reaching number 12 between new books, after Uncanny X-men.