View Poll Results: How would you prefer the events of Episode 5 be dealt with?

Voters
87. You may not vote on this poll
  • The genocide stands.

37 42.53%
  • The genocide is completely undone with time travel.

7 8.05%
  • The genocide stands, but some character deaths are prevented with time travel.

43 49.43%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default X-Men '97: how would you prefer the events of Episode 5 be dealt with? [spoiler]

Episode 5 ends with a massive body count that includes some main characters. I believe it's too early for the Krakoa era to happen where they resurrect all the dead mutants, so I think there are 3 ways this event will be dealt with:
    1) There is no reset. The X-Men and their world are forever changed.
    2) Cable (or possibly Bishop) uses time travel to prevent the entire Genoshan genocide.
    3) Cable uses time travel but is unable to stop the Genoshan genocide, only preventing the deaths of a select few characters.

Most people assume Cable will undo something, but his dialogue made it sound like he had already tried before. Many don't want their favorite characters to have died, but others want it to stick because of how impactful they were. How do you want the rest of the story to turn out?

The genocide needs to stay. Genosha is a powerful wound and a big part of mutant history. As tragic as it is, it highlights the damage humanity is capable of. It reminds everyone on both sides that mutants can easily be victims, and you can't just superhero your way out of all your problems.

I won't be too upset if Gambit stays dead, since it's a powerful statement. But I do want Gambit back, so I'm fine with Cable/Bishop time-traveling and managing to save them and others.
    Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Hellion is the talk of the boards and rightfully so.

The genocide stands. It would be stupid for them to undo such an impactful episode.

I just can't see them killing off Gambit permanently 5 episodes into what is going to be at least a 3 season series (I think the first two seasons are done and a third season is greenlit?), plus killing off Maddy permanently just two episodes after opening up the concept of this new identity of hers? It's clear some deaths are going to be undone. And if you're going to undo some of it, why not just undo all of it? Feels silly (too convenient) to undo the deaths of main characters but keeping the deaths of background characters. You can't have your cake and eat it too. There's no way some of these characters that died in the event are permanently gone.
    Last edited by Super-Cyke; 04-11-2024 at 08:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rift View Post
    The genocide needs to stay. Genosha is a powerful wound and a big part of mutant history. As tragic as it is, it highlights the damage humanity is capable of. It reminds everyone on both sides that mutants can easily be victims, and you can't just superhero your way out of all your problems.

I won't be too upset if Gambit stays dead, since it's a powerful statement. But I do want Gambit back, so I'm fine with Cable/Bishop time-traveling and managing to save them and others.
    I agree that Genosha is a huge eye-opener to what mankind is capable of. Undoing that takes away the whole point, especially since the writer also compares it to 9/11 irrevocably changing how people view the world.

Non-comic fans seem to believe it'll be completely undone just like Days of Future Past, not knowing that in the comics, there was no reset button for Genosha (at least until years later with Krakoa).

I could see it being revealed later that Magneto somehow survived but ended up paralyzed just like Charles. Maddie is probably the one whose death could be prevented by Cable. I think Gambit, though, is gone. His death was the most heroic, and if they want the audience to truly think no one is safe, he's the one most likely to remain dead.

I'm kinda torn because Gambit is in my top 5 and I don't wanna see him written out of the show, but on the other hand he went out in such a badass way(I can't think of a character who did it better), I wouldn't want a return to undermine it. So I say let his death simmer a bit, see how it effects the rest of the team. This is fiction, there's more than one way to undo a death. So I say bring him back sometime next season.

Fantastic Member

Leave them dead, no time travel. If you want to bring the characters back there are other ways.

I can't believe I'm voting for genocide.

Let the genocide stand. As a Star Trek fan, I've had my fill of temporal reset buttons. This was the most powerful episode of the show, perhaps one of the most powerful episodes of any Marvel show. It shouldn't be undone.

Have Sinister clone Gambit, Magneto, Maddie, Banshee, etc. and download their consciousnesses into their clones via his own version of Cerebro. Of course, they all have red diamonds on their foreheads...
    Or maybe Xavier's secretly been back on Earth for a while and psychically saved/copied their consciousnesses before they died, and the Shi'ar clone them new bodies.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

spoilers:

I think that Cable fail again in ep 8 where most cast die to show that this event can't be changed and must evolve. In ep 9 Xavier will return from Space with Shiar technology and will use Morph to start ressurection protocols and ressurect X-Men for final battle in ep 10.

After final battle Remy will remember Kurt`s words and ask Rogue to marry him. They will make a fast wedding and Nightcrawler will held the ceremony and it will give us a happy ending after dark times.

It will keep Genocide and trauma, keep Gambit`s sacrifice and will finally give a happy mutant nation that didn`t happen in ep 5.

HOX happened in 2019 and DeMayo pitched his story in 2020. It may really happen.
    end of spoilers
    Last edited by Purplevit; 04-12-2024 at 03:07 AM.

I think it will stand. You don't compare it to 9 11 just to erase it all imho.
    Don't let anyone else hold the candle that lights the way to your future because only you can sustain the flame.
    Number of People on my ignore list: 0
    #conceptualthinking ^_^
    #ByeMarvEN

Into the breach.
    https://www.instagram.com/jartist27/

I'd opt for a fourth option. The genocide stands, but Gambit and Magneto can be resurrected by Seasons 3 or 4 (X-Men 2000? X-Men Y2K?) when they should adapt the Krakoa era.

Until then, let new folks get their chance on the roster. You can also bring in Onslaught as a villain in Season 2 to scratch the Erik itch.

Definitely let the genocide stand…. However some characters should be revived via time travel.

Granted, they made a statement a few days ago and it was very powerful one. But, seeing Cable come in and trying to warn people looks like a hint to me that there will be some time traveling involved soon.

But we’ll see.

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I'd opt for a fourth option. The genocide stands, but Gambit and Magneto can be resurrected by Seasons 3 or 4 (X-Men 2000? X-Men Y2K?) when they should adapt the Krakoa era.

Until then, let new folks get their chance on the roster. You can also bring in Onslaught as a villain in Season 2 to scratch the Erik itch.
    I like the idea of honouring Gambit's sacrifice by not resurrecting him immediately, although I do love him and want him back eventually, so I love the sound of what you're describing. Though I don't believe Magneto is amongst the victims.

Genocide cannot be undone. But I don't want Remy to be dead permanently. So my option is for Rogue to do something desperate/questionable to bring him back.

Magneto is alive. I'm sure of it. Leech hid Magneto's powers so that's why the Sentinel takes him for neutralized.