Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

this issue has some weirdly sexual undertones
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    The real question is why King didn't make the Sovereign a religious themed villain from the start. His religious angle is far more interesting and insidious than the political one.
    I mean the religious angle makes sense when the political angle is based on the war on terror + islamophobia. Sovereign represents how non-dominant beliefs get "othered".

Still very botched though
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

The more I see of Sovereign, the more I am convinced that King's hyperbole about the villain becoming a Joker-level iconic foe for Diana is laughably cringey.

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    Cute shoes too.

Just so long as it happens in a diff book we can pretend it didn't happen.

While I really do like Yara as a character, I've never quite loved her suit. Maybe this is why...

It's a small change that makes the overall look more buttoned up and refined. With Sampere she's walking, not posing, but sense of movement aside the suit still seems looser and less structured.

Quote Originally Posted by OopsIdiditagain View Post
    I thought I was the only one who caught that creepy r-word vibe. It made me uncomfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Koriand'r View Post
    I thought I was the only one who caught that creepy r-word vibe. It made me uncomfortable.
    You're not alone. I'm sure most people caught the implications the overtones aren't subtle...
    Last edited by Celgress; 04-17-2024 at 04:57 PM.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

I mean the religious angle makes sense when the political angle is based on the war on terror + islamophobia. Sovereign represents how non-dominant beliefs get "othered".

Still very botched though
    I agree with you. Thematically the character works as a Wonder Woman/Amazons foil but the execution has indeed been botched thus far, very hamfisted, IMHO.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

While I'm bored of his narration...eventhough he is telling a story of events that already happened...I appreciate how "hamfisted" and direct he/King is. It's already a tedious enough subject matter without me having to search for the meaning behind every word and gesture. And I do think it works here because of the nature of his intent and his character. Sovereign doesn't seem to be the type who will mince words and meanings.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

All-New Member

I really liked this issue. I thought the religious element added something sinister and intriguing -- I have always thought the WW as a representative of pagan gods should create a lot more conflict in a Christian crazy America. I also thought her resistance was powerful and that the moment of her breaking the lasso was very dramatic and demonstrated not only her power, but the sources of that power, her mother and her own rebellious spirit. I have liked most of this run -- the last issue had some great epic action and Giganta actually felt dangerous for the first time in like...ever.

Welcome to the wonderfandom, I hope you brought seats.

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

If this means the Sovereign narration is over, I'd enjoy that.

Eh, I wasn't super thrilled by this comic. I don't really like dream sequences trope like this in general because the conclusion is obvious from the get go; she is going to break free. You could have told the same story faster because I did like how WW did break free, but it could have happened faster.

I also don't like when the villain started spouting bible quotes, like, that is another trope I dislike. It usually comes across as try hard edgy and pretty ignorant of the bible as a text. Not to mention, I feel like you have to provide a rebuttal, which I don't think King is going to do. Sure, Jesus took the form of a man, but he was was still given form by a woman, like in Catholicism, the Virgin Mary is more popular than Jesus.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Eh, I wasn't super thrilled by this comic. I don't really like dream sequences trope like this in general because the conclusion is obvious from the get go; she is going to break free. You could have told the same story faster because I did like how WW did break free, but it could have happened faster.

I also don't like when the villain started spouting bible quotes, like, that is another trope I dislike. It usually comes across as try hard edgy and pretty ignorant of the bible as a text. Not to mention, I feel like you have to provide a rebuttal, which I don't think King is going to do. Sure, Jesus took the form of a man, but he was was still given form by a woman, like in Catholicism, the Virgin Mary is more popular than Jesus.
    If it would’ve been faster, I think everyone would’ve took the lasso of lies as a joke. I’m shocked it only lasted one issue! Which I’m happy it did….I think he should’ve did different dream streams other than just the housewife.

Part of me wishes that instead of this talented, brilliant, incredible, amazing, show stopping, spectacular, never the same, totally unique, completely not ever been done before, unafraid to reference or not reference, put it in a blender, s*** on it, vomit on it, eat it, give birth to it new villain that Sovereign is supposed to be, the whole lasso of lies thing (which I actually like) had been used to bring back the Duke of Deception in a major way.

As it should