Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Nice to have Sampere back, thought this was good.

The appearance from "Hippolyta" was nice.

The issue is decent enough (I especially like the part with Cassie), but how am I supposed to take Sovereign seriously as a villain? Let alone as a Joker/Luthor-level threat? He's just a pretentious old dude who likes monologuing.

Extraordinary Member Primal Slayer's Avatar

I enjoyed it. Especially the last half.

Wasnt expecting Diana to break the lasso of lies. That part was both great and a bit concerning since...I am a big proponent of the LoT should never be able to be broken so if the LoL is in fact a sibling to the LoT....idk about Diana breaking it. But...now that it is...what is Sovvys game now? Or is this another lie?

The WG bit was a great breather from everything else in the issue. Love them having some downtime with a hostage and practicing their archery skills.

Trinity was fun, her Wonder Girl (did you see that people...she's a Wonder Girl, not a Robin) outfit is much better than her grown up outfit. But I am tired now of the Super Sons. They've babysat enough. Let someone else take over for a bit.

Thinking about it.....just to change things up from the usual "50s HW" that WW gets put into...if we have to do 50s....why not have her be surrounded by her WGs as loving and submissive wives be part of the overall lie. Or it would've been ideal to take her through many lies. Have her start out with Steve/homely HW then take her to being the JSA or JLA secretary or the guys treating her as a weakling, Themiscryia being run by Hercules and the Amazons fawning over him and his, etc...

This was really wonderful. I loved how resistant she was the lies of this lasso…she should be resistant to the martians telepathy in my opinion as well..but anyways loved the issue and loved seeing the wonder girls and Hippolyta make an appearance! It really made my day!

Back up was nice. I loved Trinity Wonder Girl costume.

I liked this issue, boy is it going to make some people mad.

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    So movie aside "Superman is Jesus" allegories, now there's "WW is Jesus" allegories.
    Hah well those parallels do fit Diana better! She’s explicitly a Messiah figure as crafted by Marston, sent here to redeem our sinful world.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I am fully on board with saving Clark from the Jesus stuff (if anything, he's Moses), and giving it to Diana with a queer, female pagan twist.

Also, there was another reference to the clay origin, which I appreciate.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I liked this issue, boy is it going to make some people mad.
    Yeah, the grifters are gonna love this one.

Still despise how that breast plate is attached to Trinitys outfit XD
    That aside, both stories in this issue were pretty great.
    Not at all impressed by Sovvy as a villain and I dearly hope all the grandstanding was just hype, because does NOT come off as interesting enough to sustain multiple arcs.
    That said, gosh it was sweet to see Wonder Woman cast off the chains oppressing her to throw down with the fool who dared to stand over her.
    And the Trinity story was pretty amusing

If I had a nickel for every time Diana was stuck in a retro fantasy as a housewife with Steve Trevor...I'd actually have a few nickels. But the dress was nice.

Also now Sovereign is getting all biblical against Diana was pretty on-point for the kind of attitude and themes he represents (not to mention Kings' tendency to go there).

The Wonder Girls torturing Sarge Steel was priceless. Cassie didn't really miss.

I hated how King had Diana punch her mother in that one story but seeing a false version of her mother be what finally breaks the illusion completely was everything. Also re-emphasizing the clay origin.

I found it kind of funny they actually had the fake Steve reading the "Dear John" letter.

Seeing Trinity as Wonder Girl was cute. I think I like her Wonder Girl costume better than her adult costume. Also her mom never became a samurai! And we've got Jon and Damian goofing with timeline changes

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

This issue makes a direct reference to her clay origin. If we can get her classic origin back, that would be a victory in my eyes.

not since Wonder Woman traveled back in time to help Queen Boudica drive the Romans from British shores have I seen such delightfully brazen disregard for the time stream~

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Really good issue. It makes sense on a meta level that she would be able to break the LoL even by her own will and determination as lies and deception no matter how firmly believed, their foundations are always weak and fragile. I really disliked Sovereign using biblical verse against Diana given her personal Pantheon but that was clearly the point...to show the inherent falsehood of man's beliefs used to control and subjugate.

One nit...I really hate the back up story. I started reading the first page and that was it...I couldn't go further.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Astonishing Member

The real question is why King didn't make the Sovereign a religious themed villain from the start. His religious angle is far more interesting and insidious than the political one.

Fantastic Member

Have seen so many people complain (on twitter) about Diana being tied up and call it a fetish from King. I'm sorry, but do those people know nothing about Wonder Woman? Yes sure it started in the fetish category, but people have to see the evolution.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    The real question is why King didn't make the Sovereign a religious themed villain from the start. His religious angle is far more interesting and insidious than the political one.
    Well, there is some precedent...in today's world the Political and the Religious are insidiously intertwined.

Quote Originally Posted by Skytten View Post
    Have seen so many people complain (on twitter) about Diana being tied up and call it a fetish from King. I'm sorry, but do those people know nothing about Wonder Woman? Yes sure it started in the fetish category, but people have to see the evolution.
    No they don't.

I thought it was a pretty good, intentional call-back to her early days but instead twisting submission into subjugation...the overall theme of this issue.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!