Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Fantastic Member

Default I Love Fabian Nicieza

New comics reader here. I was initially just bouncing around, looking up comics starring characters I already liked such as Sabretooth. I started with his mini from 1993 by Larry Hama and did not like it much. But then I read X-Men Unlimited #3, then the main series stuff with him in the mansion, and then finally his oneshot "In the Redzone." I absolutely loved every last one of those. I felt they perfectly captured everyone, but of course Victor was the standout. He felt evil and psychotic but very...real and raw.

Who wrote all this? Fabian Nicieza

But anyway, I'm now trying to catch up on Krakoa. I am still in Dawn of X and I saw a Juggernaut miniseiries on the reading list. Then I saw its writer - Fabian Nicieza. 30 years later and guess what? It was still absolutely just as good as the stuff from the 90s I read. It was sweet and cute and funny and made me adore Cain Marko.

I've hung out with a lot of nerds over The years so even if I didn't read much comics, I knew "the big names." Not just giants like Alan Moore or Frank Miller, but the names associated with eras of the X-Men. I knew Scott Lobdell and Rob Liefeld. I had never heard of Fabian Nicieza before this and I'm sad. He is excellent.

Glad to hear you've enjoyed Fabian's work while doing your dive through the X-world!

He's actually putting out a Cable 4-issue miniseries right now, the final issue releasing in a few weeks I believe.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Hell yeah brother, he really did a great job carrying the torch.

Also the fact that he picked up after the Young Guns took off and it didn't fall apart is really amazing.
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 04-13-2024 at 06:04 PM.

He and Lobdell were a great team. FN was a bit better of writer in my opinion. I wish they let him play on Krakoa more.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Extraordinary Member Uncanny X-Man's Avatar

Fabian really wrote some awesome X-comics. If you enjoy his writing, I also highly recommend his New Warriors and Thunderbolts which are also excellent.

Fantastic Member

Oh yes, I too love Fabian Nicieza. His storytelling is amazing. At one point in 1993 or so, Fabian was writing more than a half dozen different comic books and all of them were amazing. And when he worked with artists like Andy Kubert, Greg Capullo, or Mark Bagley, he was untouchable. You ever have time and resources, I would recommend checking out his New Warriors centered books (NW, Nova, Night Thrasher, Justice). They are pretty great.

A Nicieza thread made by someone other than me? Yay!

I still want to know why Harras fired him from Vol. 2 and X-force though.

Fabian is one of my favorites as well. I love his X-men, X-Force, and especially New Warriors and Thunderbolts.

Quote Originally Posted by jignat View Post
    A Nicieza thread made by someone other than me? Yay!

I still want to know why Harras fired him from Vol. 2 and X-force though.

Yeah, always was curious about that. His run on Xforce is still my favorite run in comics.

Also wished his Genis series had continued and he got to do more with Adam X
    "Dear World: the nation of mutantkind is watching you. Do not #$%& with us." -Cable-

Extraordinary Member From The Shadows's Avatar

Although the Claremont era was my favorite era I still enjoyed the Blue and Gold era of X-Men. Fabian is a great writer. Glad you discovered him.

I loved his villain dialogue; Stryfe and Apocalypse spoke like evil poets from another world. Stryfe's Strike File and the Apocalypse Manifesto were more compelling than they had any reason to be.

He’s incredible. The first year of Gambit’s solo book is pure gold. He and Skroce were a dream team and it showed on the page. The second half is ok when he had to change his original storyline, but it does show his ability to spin on a time and improvise.

I miss when Fabian used to post on here. He had such nice things to say about Annie Conda during his Cable & Deadpool run.

Jeez, I just realized that was literally 20 years ago. I'm fuckin' old y'all.

I also love the man! Wasn't he wring an X-Men book now?

Quote Originally Posted by NicoPony View Post
    He’s incredible. The first year of Gambit’s solo book is pure gold. He and Skroce were a dream team and it showed on the page. The second half is ok when he had to change his original storyline, but it does show his ability to spin on a time and improvise.
    Hmm didn't know he had to pivot on his story line. Any info on the interwebs about what changed exactly?

Fantastic Member

i would take him over any of the 6 announced writers of the new x-books and its not even close on how much of a better choice he would be