Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Because too many times either by appearance or actual actions we have seen companies cave in.

Where are the Inhumans at? Do you know how many comments of "this will teach Marvel to no F-- with us (X-Fans)".
    Go down the line of characters from Jackson Hyde to Jason Rusch who have vanished or been resorted to variant covers.
    Or what we saw with McDuffie being removed from Justice League because folks lost it over 4 black members that HE had ZERO say over and told folks that.

And for the most part it's not actual readers of the books doing this.

Did we not have a guy charting books that did NOTHING but attack certain titles and even blamed characters like Nubia, Duke and Jackson and Wallace for sales on books? Books they were NOT in and hadn't been in for years?

Too many times guys like these complain and someway or somehow it appears the companies listen. So of course they act like this. Because the company tends to be SILENT.

And then when folks cry about the talent that gets hired-a lot of folks do NOT want to put up with this behavior. Especially not in this political climate. It's part of the reason we got a nationwide teacher shortage.
    I know it's not the point you're trying to make but the Inhumans vs. X-Men thing is not like the other situations you listed here. Disney/Marvel deliberately tried to suffocate the X-Franchise for a decade by not allowing writers to create new characters as they would instantly become usable by Fox in their films (confirmed by Chris Claremont and later Sana Amanat when she said she originally wanted to make Kamala Khan a mutant but was told not to). It was majorly Kevin Feige himself who started shunning the Inhumans by cancelling their movie and then depicting Black Bolt in a laughable light in the Multiverse of Madness movie. The show was a disastrous flop too and other than Ms. Marvel, none of the other Inhumans really broke out despite repeated pushes. Then once Disney bought Fox and the X-Men returned to the MCU fold, Kamala Khan's show was the one to make her a mutant instead of an Inhuman and the comics followed suit.

So, that one I'd chalk up to corporate shenanigans and nothing to do with fans.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    As long as Babs can walk she can be main Batgirl. As Skyvolt said, companies sometimes cave in. And well, I wouldn't be surprised if we got all this bullshit about Bab's implant being damaged and her not being as active due to DC trying to appease these psychos.
    Agreed. As long as the most iconic Batgirl is around, she will have a target on her back by some fans.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Uh, why does Taylor get attacked so constantly for writing Barbara as Batgirl as if that hasn't been the norm since 2011?

Because too many times either by appearance or actual actions we have seen companies cave in.

Where are the Inhumans at? Do you know how many comments of "this will teach Marvel to no F-- with us (X-Fans)".
    Go down the line of characters from Jackson Hyde to Jason Rusch who have vanished or been resorted to variant covers.
    Or what we saw with McDuffie being removed from Justice League because folks lost it over 4 black members that HE had ZERO say over and told folks that.

And for the most part it's not actual readers of the books doing this.
    They don't always cave in. Marvel has refused to undo One More Day despite very very heavy pressure from the fans.

The Inhumans is also a bad example, as that was the pet project of a very powerful Marvel executive (Perlmutter, who was salty Marvel the movie rights of Spider-Man and X-Men to Fox and Sony for pennies) who progressively lost power in the company and it was completely related to movie rights. Marvel didn't "cave in", they just got back the X-Men/F4 film rights.

Also, this type of behavior rarely helps further your cause. The reason Cassandra Cain was considered a "toxic character" by the previous DC regime is because "fans" were burning effigies of Adam Beechen outside the DC offices when he turned Cass evil in One Year Later.

Marvel doesn't just refuse to undo OMD, they're openly spiteful about it and making sure to further disgrace that relationship and MJ's character in particular, with every chance they get so people would stop clamoring for it. I don't see it the same way as this because Marvel editorial deserves being raked over the coals for ragebaiting fans and fanning the flames of that kind of hate all the time. Taylor did nothing to deserve the kind of feedback he's getting, whatever one may think of his writing.
    Last edited by Johnny; 04-14-2024 at 01:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    Thanks a lot, Elon Musk. Twitter was **** before but now it's a completely unregulated cesspool.
    Tom King started hiring bodyguards because of death threats years before Musk took over Twitter.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post
    Uh, why does Taylor get attacked so constantly for writing Barbara as Batgirl as if that hasn't been the norm since 2011?
    Because he is writing her right now, and she has nothing else going for herself besides being Dick's girlfriend, so this gets him a lot of hate as well. In general, a lot of her fans on Twitter are just angry at DC and have been for years. Taylor is just the easiest target for them because he is constantly interacting with people on Twitter. They know he will see their hateful messages and eventually give a reaction, that's all they care about. And let's not forget about the people who are constantly crying about Taylor turning Jon "gay" and making the son of Superman "woke".

I have my own issues with Taylor's writing but this is absolutely not okay.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post
    The reason Cassandra Cain was considered a "toxic character" by the previous DC regime is because "fans" were burning effigies of Adam Beechen outside the DC offices when he turned Cass evil in One Year Later.
    The whole toxicity rule is probably bullshit that he made up for New 52 so that Scott Snyder couldn't use neither her or Stephanie Brown (who was also considered toxic by him and editorial). What exactly was "toxic" about Spoiler (https://www.wired.com/2012/07/nightw...in-smallville/) given that she just had a run pre-New 52 run as Batgirl?

It's pretty clear, he did all of this to make Barbara Gordon into Batgirl again. We have documens from OYL from himself showing that he was out to replace Cassandra Cain from the start for OYL (https://imgur.com/LkqMlaw). And that Beechen and Tomasi (and probably Berganza and Johns) were all working under his directives. It's just Beechen got the flak from fans for following orders.

I know there are actually various and perhaps complex reasons for certain people to hate Tom Taylor's writing, but being hated for writing a warm wholesome stories in Nightwing is kind of scary thought
    Last edited by Mai Zen; 04-14-2024 at 03:06 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    I don't get it...he seems like a genuinely nice dude.
    There is a certain subset of 'comic book fans' (assuming these people are actually comic fans) who have major issues with writers who they consider 'woke'.

Extraordinary Member

This is the dumbest thing I've ever seen.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    There is a certain subset of 'comic book fans' (assuming these people are actually comic fans) who have major issues with writers who they consider 'woke'.
    Funnily enough, I think Tom Taylor is also called as anti-woke, ableist for Barbara stuff

Is that NOT the same with Cyborg? Or lesser cases with Tim Drake and Jon Kent? Every call to get Cyborg a better LOOK gets folks saying he HAS to look like that to be a role model yet never get written that way or has solos that don't sell.
    It's not because Cyborg's accident is literally his origin story. The disability aspect has always been part of his history, he didn't have another established superhero identity for 20 years before becoming Cyborg like Barbara did before becoming Oracle. Not that I don't want to see him get a different look, it's just not the same thing at all.

I don't think Tim and Jon are good comparisons to what I mentioned either. I presume you're referring to their sexuality when the "former superhero turned computer expert due to being paralyzed" thing is entirely different than retroactively changing a long-established straight character's preferences.

Another thing is The Killing Joke wasn't designed to get rid of Barbara as Batgirl(she had already quit being Batgirl at the time IIRC), replace her with someone else or turn her into Oracle, it was purely for shock value and nothing else, hence the criticism for the misogynistic way she was being paralyzed. Those developments didn't happen until years after the fact.

Anyway I'm done with this topic. I'm not a huge fan of Taylor's writing but this situation is embarrassing and just gives more ammo to people to paint comic fans as unhinged morons.
    Last edited by Johnny; 04-14-2024 at 03:36 PM.

I'm a Barbra as Oracle fan, a Dick/Babs anti-shipper, and think the age-up of Jon Kent and everything after was a mistake. This type of reaction to a funnybook is asinine.