Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mai Zen View Post
    Funnily enough, I think Tom Taylor is also called as anti-woke, ableist for Barbara stuff
    A lot of those 'ableist' arguments are bad faith like the arguments about 'comics/media/ whatever' being too woke.

Yeah, it's people looking for reasons for why someone or something they already dislike is objectively bad. There's a Youtuber named Sarah Z who used the phrase "Bitch eating crackers" to describe the phenomenon of when you dislike someone so everything they do, no matter how completely inoffensive, is awful.

Quote Originally Posted by Confuzzled View Post
    I know it's not the point you're trying to make but the Inhumans vs. X-Men thing is not like the other situations you listed here. Disney/Marvel deliberately tried to suffocate the X-Franchise for a decade by not allowing writers to create new characters as they would instantly become usable by Fox in their films (confirmed by Chris Claremont and later Sana Amanat when she said she originally wanted to make Kamala Khan a mutant but was told not to). It was majorly Kevin Feige himself who started shunning the Inhumans by cancelling their movie and then depicting Black Bolt in a laughable light in the Multiverse of Madness movie. The show was a disastrous flop too and other than Ms. Marvel, none of the other Inhumans really broke out despite repeated pushes. Then once Disney bought Fox and the X-Men returned to the MCU fold, Kamala Khan's show was the one to make her a mutant instead of an Inhuman and the comics followed suit.

So, that one I'd chalk up to corporate shenanigans and nothing to do with fans.
    The claim that Disney wasn't allowing new Mutant characters to be created was an easily disproved lie. There were a number of new characters created for Wolverine and the X-Men alone and Claremont debuted a new character in the Nightcrawler book he was writing. The X-Men also had a lot of books for an intellectual property Disney was trying to suffocate.

The specific claim of being unable to create new mutant characters is untrue, but there was an effort to suffocate the X-Men; it’s just that it mostly happened outside of comics. This was the period where they were not allowed to appear in cartoons or video games, most famously the huge controversy around Marvel vs Capcom Infinite.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    The claim that Disney wasn't allowing new Mutant characters to be created was an easily disproved lie. There were a number of new characters created for Wolverine and the X-Men alone and Claremont debuted a new character in the Nightcrawler book he was writing. The X-Men also had a lot of books for an intellectual property Disney was trying to suffocate.
    Dunno about the "no new mutants" claim, but I wouldn't be surprised of the reason why Marvel didn't stop publishing X-Men (like they did with F4) was just because they couldn't do it without it very negatively affecting their sales targets. X-Men just represents a portion too big of Marvel's publishing line.

Even then, we know the X-Men were banned from appearing in merchandising, videogames, cartoons, etc. We know from Hickman that they weren't allowed to introduce new ideas to the X-Men prior to the Fox buyout and that affected Bendis' run. And it's also suspicious that at the peak of this Wolverine, Cyclops, Xavier and Jean Grey were all dead in the comics at the same time (granted, there were alternate versions of them running around but still).

Extraordinary Member

Funnily enough, I think Tom Taylor is also called as anti-woke, ableist for Barbara stuff
    But why is he attacked for that, I mean that was something that happend at the start of the new 52, that over a decade before he started writing Nightwing...

And the decision about Barbara being in wheel chair or not is likely not even made by the writers but by the editorial.
    Last edited by Aahz; 04-15-2024 at 01:22 AM.

Astonishing Member

Because he's currently writing her in his Nightwing series and he's very active in social media, he always responds. Besides, by industry standards, Taylor is a top-writer, with a significant influence, and he's currently writing very popular character, which automatically makes him the target of a certain Internet segment.

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by king81992 View Post
    There is a certain subset of 'comic book fans' (assuming these people are actually comic fans) who have major issues with writers who they consider 'woke'.
    In this instance at least, it is not the anti-woke people harassing him. It is in fact the "woke" people themselves who have turned against him.

Something something horseshoe theory something. Even if one is clearly a progressive person like Taylor is, there will come a time when even that won't be enough for the radicals. There is no reasoning.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

This is just sick & wrong what these "fans" are doing to Tom Taylor. May they have the day, no, the life they deserve.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

This is why when meeting someone I say "I am a comic fan. No, not that type, I just enjoy reading comics and watching the movies and stuff." Because when I just said "I'm a comic fan" they'd ask about something mental they'd heard about comic fans (or comic movie fans).

This **** is just insane and I honestly don't know how people get themselves to this point and not realise it's really fucking weird.

Those types of fan are also why this is the only place I talk comics, because Reddit, Twitter (which I'm long gone from) and even YouTube are just cesspools of the worst kind of fans.
    Last edited by exile001; 04-15-2024 at 08:23 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    There's probably some context here that's missing. Sana Amanat was not working within the X-books, but iirc an editor working under the Spider-Man/Daredevil/Punisher stuff with Wacker. Like Brevoort/Slott retconning Franklin to not be a mutant during the Krakoa era, they probably didn't want the new Ms Marvel character to be roped into mutant related crossovers and other shenanigans just by virtue of her being a mutant that the X-line was often fond of doing. For example, Fraction roping Cloak&Dagger into the Dark X-Men during Dark Reign and in turn cancelling a book they were originally going to get.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

Would these be the same type of "fans" who use the word "Woke" as a pejorative but can't tell you what it means?

I don't know how to break this to fans but 90% of story decisions are actually editorial decisions. Not the decision of the writer unless it's a creator owned or stand alone project. Don't like Babs out of a wheelchair? That was editorial. Don't like Jon being bisexual? Same thing. This is like blaming the actors for the writing of a movie. Which, if the Star Wars sequels are any indicator, they also do that. I'm very iffy about fanservice in general since a lot of "fans" are bigoted assholes who are basically just asking for people who aren't like them not to be represented. I didn't read most of Taylor's Jon run. I read the Injustice arc which was fine but given the fact that with Injustice he was working backwards from a premise someone else came up with (sensing a theme here?), he worked with what he was given. I haven't really read anything else he's done.

But if your complaint is "the story isn't going in the direction I want" or "I don't like this particular group being represented", that's either an issue with management, or you're a bad person.
    Assassinate Putin!

Mighty Member

Some folks were calling him racist due to Nightwing being Romani and having his ass sexualised... which I find kinda silly since comics tend to emphasis the ass especially.
    But that was like 1 or 2 People on reddit about a year ago.

Honestly, People are the worst. Instead of replacing People with AI for art, I think we should replace fans with AI.
    Humanity was a mistake, and these People prove it.
    Last edited by FFJamie94; 04-15-2024 at 10:08 AM.

Romani, not Romanian. Romas can come in all sorts of different shades. Doctor Doom is Romani too, yet he's as white as it gets.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny View Post
    Romani, not Romanian. Romas can come in all sorts of different shades. Doctor Doom is Romani too, yet he's as white as it gets.
    Sorry, edited my og post to correct my mistake.