Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Does it really harm the brand? Or is it just harming a fan's perception of their favorite character?
    THIS...

Especially if you hire writers who OPENLY hate the character.
    Along with fans who hate said character and it appears creative agrees.

However that still falls on creative. Spider-Man is trying its best to not make you chose between Peter or Miles. Peter's derailment is not created by Miles but by management.

Meanwhile Black Panther last 3 books are derailed by writers who don't like him. Yet want to focus on others at T'Challa's expense.

^^^Doesn't the latter lead to the former?
    Not always. Because at the end of the day all these folks are different.

We have 15 Dr Whos-all of them are different.

No one Doctor dominates over the others-they all still get new material out.

Now bring that to comics-we tend to NOT see that.

It's Highlander and there can only be one nonsense at times.

Heck how many DC characters got ruined or tossed for certain ones? That alienated fans?

Not always. Because at the end of the day all these folks are different.
    ^^^I said the same thing on page 2, that these families have to be looked at on a case by case basis.

We have 15 Dr Whos-all of them are different.
    ^^^Totally different scenario than what we’re discussing here.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^I said the same thing on page 2, that these families have to be looked at on a case by case basis.

^^^Totally different scenario than what we’re discussing here.
    They understand but their trying very hard not to.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest

Take Me Higher The Negative Zone's Avatar
    Earth. (Unless I've been kidnapped by Skrulls)

^^^Doesn't the latter lead to the former?
    Well it depends on if the perception is actually being changed or if the fan is just mad that their favorite character has to share the spotlight a bit more.

^^^See, THAT i could work with!
    I know the two have broached that student/teacher relationship…

…which is prob. the chemistry you were talking about.
    I didnt like Shang till that run happemed either. I guess they brought out the best in each other.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-19-2024 at 02:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony W View Post
    They understand but their trying very hard not to.
    ^^^You're right. It’s okay though I’m not looking to beat a dead horse.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    I didnt like Shang till that run happemed either. I guess they brought out the best in each other.
    ^^^Sometimes characters click. These two did!

Spider-Gwen has limited appeal outside of earth 65.

The new Champions would work better in an imprint aimed at kids- sorta like Marvel Adventures.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-19-2024 at 11:10 AM.

Extraordinary Member Captain Craig's Avatar

Spider-Gwen has limited appeal outside of earth 65.
    That doesn't sound right now. Big player in the Spider Family. Two Omnibuses full of material currently. Lots of exposure in Sony's highly successful animated Spiderverse films.
    SGwen.jpg

Plenty of youthful exposure sure to guarantee a generation of new fans. My 6.5yr old daughter being one is merely anecdotal.
    spideyAF.jpg
    "Freedom is the right of all sentient beings" - Optimus Prime

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Craig View Post
    That doesn't sound right now. Big player in the Spider Family. Two Omnibuses full of material currently. Lots of exposure in Sony's highly successful animated Spiderverse films.
    SGwen.jpg

Plenty of youthful exposure sure to guarantee a generation of new fans. My 6.5yr old daughter being one is merely anecdotal.
    spideyAF.jpg
    I meant for me personally. I liked Spider-gwen but i thought she only worked in Earth 65.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-20-2024 at 04:05 AM.

Yellowjacket is in the Marvel top ten when it comes to costumes.
    ^^^Hell YES!
    Seconded. Best design in comic book history (IMHO):

This should be the reverse- Scott stays Ant-man, Hank becomes Yellowjacket again.
    To the utmost, I agree. Marvel Comics' Dynamic Duo

"Good-bye. Good luck. Good riddance."

Families. Every popular hero seems to have them, if we must have them can we at least trim the fat?

Spider-Man: Decide who your Spider-Woman is and get rid of the rest. Miles can stay. Spider-Boy is gone.

Captain Marvel: Genis and Ms. Marvel can stay. Lauri-Ell and Phyla are gone.

Wolverine: Laura? Gone. Daken? Gone. Gabby? Gone. Reine? She can stay. Reine can stay because she shares enough stuff with Wolverine to be similar but different enough that she doesn't take anything away from Wolverine. What is her continuity situation anyway?
    I agree. I think Marvel and DC would be well served to get back to the basics and trim down their respective lines to their characters' core books again. Maybe a couple of anthologies for some of their minor characters. There's something like 16 Spider-books getting released in July. That's overkill.
    Keep your hands to yourself, leave other people's things alone, and be kind to one another.

I would keep Amadeus Cho but depower him. He was more interesting as the Prince of Power and hanging out with Hercules.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-22-2024 at 11:24 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Asking "why is this police force acting liks a police force?" feels strange.
    A space police force just feels redundant and unnecessary.

The nature of the shared universe guarantees that these characters WILL have an affect on the characters you DO like. They still will affect the other characters. It's why they created them. It dilutes the strength of the main character

Once again, it's called a "family" for a reason. No matter what you do they still will affect the other characters
    Again, no one's making you pick up every book. It's kinda like you're just looking to be annoyed.

In re to your use of the word "dilute," it reminds me of the "Terminal Velocity" arc of Flash Mark Waid and Carlos Pacheco did way back when. If you haven't read it, that was the arc when the then new evil speedster Savitar was introduced, who (while torturing Max Mercury), claimed that he had "diluted the pool" by helping so many speedsters find their potential. Personally, I liked Impulse, Jesse Quick, etc. and would've hated it if Savitar would've succeeded in his goal of eliminating them all.

Quote Originally Posted by The Negative Zone View Post
    Does it really harm the brand? Or is it just harming a fan's perception of their favorite character?
    Exactly this. I mean, not a huge Spoiler fan, but her mere presence in any particular Bat book has hardly ever spoiled one for me. Characters I don't like hardly get to rent space in my head just because they appear on the same page as one that I do.
    Last edited by phonogram12; 04-22-2024 at 04:46 PM.
    Keep in mind that you have about as much chance of changing my mind as I do of changing yours.

Families. Every popular hero seems to have them, if we must have them can we at least trim the fat?

Spider-Man: Decide who your Spider-Woman is and get rid of the rest. Miles can stay. Spider-Boy is gone.

Captain Marvel: Genis and Ms. Marvel can stay. Lauri-Ell and Phyla are gone.

Wolverine: Laura? Gone. Daken? Gone. Gabby? Gone. Reine? She can stay. Reine can stay because she shares enough stuff with Wolverine to be similar but different enough that she doesn't take anything away from Wolverine. What is her continuity situation anyway?
    im fine with keeping the character but loosing the family aspect ie Guy Gardner as Warrior instead of Green Lantern but that works better in a reboot.

Although you could move them into other roles ie- Danny Rand as a SHIELD Agent.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-26-2024 at 04:16 AM.