Default X-Men Unlimited #135 - Fall of X #15 - Review/Spoilers

We open with Sunspot and Gideon crashing through a penthouse window. Sunspot punches Gideon as they fall and we're reminded of Gideon manipulating Roberto long ago and of the death of his father. Sunspot says, "And still, even with all you did, after everything..."

Gideon powerfully kicks Sunspot away, sending him flying. Sunspot says he's learned a lot since he was young including why work hard when one can work smart. From above Solem is enjoying the show and tells Roberto that he has two minutes of his hired usage remaining. Sunspot says he wants his money's worth and Solem jumps down to join him as they all brace for a brutal fight. Gideon starts to mimic Sunspot's powers and tells Solem he'd relish the chance to melt him with said powers.

Frankly Gideon doesn't stand a chance against the two of them as they double team him in some awesome, kinetic art by Sevy and Nitro. It doesn't take long before Gideon is beaten to the ground and Sunspot walks over, pressing his finger on Gideon's forehead, burning him. Gideon is like it doesn't matter if he's outdone today because he always has tomorrow. He always outlives and rebuilds, saying he has had lifetimes to amass a war chest. That's when Sunspot gets on the phone and calls Sebastian Shaw! He asks Shaw if it is done, it being the seizing of Gideon's fortune through market manipulation. It is done and Shaw, in front of his laptop, is delighted to betray Selene. "Cheers... you old dusty witch" he says while holding a glass of wine.

Solem raises his sword and asks Sunspot if he should decapitate Gideon. Gideon, finally giving in, reveals to Sunspot that the Externals' systems work on a dead man's switch and that if he dies their mutant-tracking software will get uploaded to an External server. Gideon says Sunspot will lose his tactical advantage if this happens, however if Sunspot frees him and Burke they will abandon their rite of ascension. He holds out his hand and says his allegiance to Selene only goes so... Solem chops off his hand as his hired time is up. (They need his DNA to access the External software.). Solem reminds Sunspot that Sunspot still owes Solem a favor and he looks forward to invoking it another time. Solem leaves and Gideon questions if Sunspot and his team can stop Selene's ascent. Shatterstar and Trinary join Sunspot and they leave.

Back on X-Corps Island Trinary and Wiz-Kid are able to use Gideon's DNA to access the mutant-tracking software the Externals have been using. Wiz-Kid says now that they're in the system they can erase it. Looking very concerned, Layla Miller says if Selene finds out they cut her supply chain she'll consume all of the mutants locked up in her Nova Roma prison. She says if they pull the trigger and do this they'll need to be ready to move. Fast. Betsy, Dani, and John are watching from above and Dani says it sounds like it's time they took the fight to the Externals. John wholeheartedly agrees.

Another excellent issue with a great spotlight on Sunspot. We're heading into the homestretch now with 5 issues remaining and it seems they're going to be all about the big fight between X-Corps and the Externals.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Unglaublich!

Has it ever been explained when or how Berto beat the problem he had in Avengers where using his powers aged him, thus shortening his lifespan?

I can't recall him dying during the Krakoan Era, so I don't think resurrection did away with it.

Roberto was one of the many mutants to die during Rosenberg's run.
    Bringing back the old, killing the young: that's the Marvel way

Astonishing Member

Also, he was rather notably killed by Isca in X-Men Red.

Extraordinary Member Master of Sound's Avatar

I love this version of X-Corps.
    As they mentioned Cipher and Magma are also part of it, I wish they would launch a series of this. I bet it will sell well.
    "COURAGE, DON'T YOU DARE LET ME DOWN"
    ==================================================
    ==================================================

The "dusty old witch" got me good. hahaha.

Always a pleasure to see Roberto flex that tactical brain of his. And Solem's inclusion was delightful.

To answer Phoenix Raptor, Roberto's recovering from the M-Pox affliction was never explained.
    Fortunately, Krakoan Resurrection restored him--M-Pox free-- after his sacrifice during the end of Rosenberg's run

Quote Originally Posted by Master of Sound View Post
    I love this version of X-Corps.
    As they mentioned Cipher and Magma are also part of it, I wish they would launch a series of this. I bet it will sell well.
    Agreed!

Incredible Member

Great issue! This would have been a great ongoing title. Did Sunspots strength increase? It appeared when he hit Gideon he was hurting him and doing damage in that adamantium form?

Didn't Gideon switch powers? He swapped from the Adamantium skin to Sunspot's kirby-dot-solar-strength, I thought

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Fokken View Post
    Didn't Gideon switch powers? He swapped from the Adamantium skin to Sunspot's kirby-dot-solar-strength, I thought
    He was using both powers at the same time. Also in previous issue at the end when Sunspot hit Gideon it look like the metal rippled from the impact. Gideon also threatened Solem that he could melt him which is why I’m asking has he gotten more powerful.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I really don't like Sebastian PoS playing both sides. I know that's his schtick but...it really irks me to no end.

I'm a little confused about one thing...when did Beto's power include heat?

All in all, another action-paced episode that drives the story forward.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Really hoping Magma shows up for the Nova Roma battle.

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by Devaishwarya View Post
    I really don't like Sebastian PoS playing both sides. I know that's his schtick but...it really irks me to no end.

I'm a little confused about one thing...when did Beto's power include heat?

All in all, another action-paced episode that drives the story forward.
    He has had them since the Reign Fire storyline back in old X Force. It started with Fabian Nicieza and was later picked up by John Francis Moore.
    Last edited by OWL45; 04-15-2024 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix Raptor View Post
    Has it ever been explained when or how Berto beat the problem he had in Avengers where using his powers aged him, thus shortening his lifespan?

I can't recall him dying during the Krakoan Era, so I don't think resurrection did away with it.
    He died in X-Men Red when Isca snapped his neck.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by OWL45 View Post
    He has had them since the Reign Fire storyline back in old X Force. It started with Fabian Nicieza and was later picked up by John Francis Moore.
    Oh. Okies. Thanks O45. I really didn't pay much attention to old X-Force material back then.
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Phillip Sevy on X:
    https://twitter.com/phillipsevy/stat...01307127886032

And with that, I've finished inking my last page of this giant X-Men Unlimited run that I've been working on since Sept of last year. Major thanks and love to @steve_foxe @thesteveorlando @NickRoche @nitro_yen @cracksh0t & @lauren_amaro43 for their incredible support and work!

"Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!