View Poll Results: How should a new MC2 line be done?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Set in present, but everybody is 15 years older (reboot of original MC2)

5 21.74%
  • Set in present, but everybody is 15-20 years older (actual sequel of original MC2)

12 52.17%
  • Set in a close (15-20 years) future

7 30.43%
  • Set in the present, but with characters who aged in real time

5 21.74%
  • Other

1 4.35%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    If there was a sequel to the MC-2 Universe, wouldn't that also be a prequel to the 2099 universe?

It's funny thinking of a time when Mayday is middle aged and Migel O'Hara is a toddler.
    They are meant to be seperate but you could use elements of 2099 in MC2 just to keep fans guessing.

I remember Peter David using Alchemax in his all new Xfactor run.

Quote Originally Posted by marhawkman View Post
    Oooh... who in MC2 would be the X-Men Illuminati-wannabe? Jubilee doesn't feel right, but she's a major team lead now. So, it'd make more sense if it's someone like Kid Omega sneaking around in the shadows.

Yes, you have Magneta and her wannabe Brotherhood... but.... Magneta didn't have enough influence to actually matter. It wasn't like in the Asteroid-M era when the Acolytes have a proper secret base and massive resources, no, this is more like OG Brotherhood who are just guys causing trouble. Perhaps less resources than that.

Fun fact: That old school Marvel comics approach of "because Mutant" as an explanation for why a character has super-powers got used a LOT in Spider-girl. there was several of her high school classmates. And that's why Jubilee showed up.
    ^^^Love that fun fact!

Good point on Magneta; finding strong characters to go up against the OG Illuminati would be the trick.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^Thank you!
    You're very welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post
    So who would be the new Illuminati? I'm thinking Moon Girl, Valeria, Amadeus Cho, Riri, and Nadia off the top of my head.
    Might be interesting, though I'd hope they wouldn't repeat the mistakes of the old Illuminati.

Quote Originally Posted by Riv86672 View Post
    ^^^One of my favorite parts of the Spider-Girl book was the Parker/Osborn dynamic. The soap opera aspect of it was great.
    Same.

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    They are meant to be seperate but you could use elements of 2099 in MC2 just to keep fans guessing.

I remember Peter David using Alchemax in his all new Xfactor run.
    Because Dan Slott reintroduced Alchemax in the present-day MU when he brought in Spider-Man 2099 for the "Necessary Evil" arc of the original volume of Superior Spider-Man.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

One idea that popped into my head a while back was having a scene where Pete finds out he's a grandpa.... but it's April's child.

doing an MC3 with children of the MC2 cast would be a neat opportunity for hilarity. Especially if they remember the minor characters... like what has Magneta been doing since we last saw her? She grew tired of the Mutant Supremacy thing after losing to Spider-Girl... what's she done since then? Also a Magneta jr might be amusing.
    Another way to do a jump would be to pretend it's been real-time since Onslaught (which was when the timelines diverged.)

So the next generation wouldn't be teenagers. They would be in their mid to late 20s.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Loved the old MC2 line. As others have mentioned, it was a mostly positive take on the future of the MCU, and I still feel that this kind of positivity is sorely lacking in comics in general nowadays. I voted on a sequel. A-Next was my favorite, and I would be head over heels if we got a new book about them. I would also like to see the Fantastic Five and the X-People get more development. And what about Cosmic Marvel? We could delve deeper in what its status really is. Also, the MC2 was mostly Tom DeFalco writing, with the help of a few more classic artists, such as Paul Ryan, Ron Frenz, Ron Lim, Patrick Oliffe, etc... I wonder how the MC2 would look like if we also expanded the list of classic creators working on it. Say, Roger Stern, Kurt Busiek, Dan Jurgens, Fabian Nicieza, John Ostrander, Paul Pelltier, Pasqual Ferry, Mike McKone, Andrea di Vito, Stuart Immonen, etc... I wonder if, faced with that high level of great characters and creators, the current MU would survive long as the main universe?

Peace

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Loved the old MC2 line. As others have mentioned, it was a mostly positive take on the future of the MCU, and I still feel that this kind of positivity is sorely lacking in comics in general nowadays. I voted on a sequel. A-Next was my favorite, and I would be head over heels if we got a new book about them. I would also like to see the Fantastic Five and the X-People get more development. And what about Cosmic Marvel? We could delve deeper in what its status really is. Also, the MC2 was mostly Tom DeFalco writing, with the help of a few more classic artists, such as Paul Ryan, Ron Frenz, Ron Lim, Patrick Oliffe, etc... I wonder how the MC2 would look like if we also expanded the list of classic creators working on it. Say, Roger Stern, Kurt Busiek, Dan Jurgens, Fabian Nicieza, John Ostrander, Paul Pelltier, Pasqual Ferry, Mike McKone, Andrea di Vito, Stuart Immonen, etc... I wonder if, faced with that high level of great characters and creators, the current MU would survive long as the main universe?

Peace
    Yeah, one gripe I had was that the breadth of story wasn't enough to cover all of the characters in the main comics. How many books could you write with that list of writers? hmh,,.....

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post

Peace
    Yeah, one gripe I had was that the breadth of story wasn't enough to cover all of the characters in the main comics. How many books could you write with that list of writers? hmh,,.....
    Indeed. MC2 ought to have gotten an expansion of multiple lasting ongoings just like Spider-Girl.

I’d love to have a new line showing what the MU would be like if the often forgotten legacies actually took over from their predecessors.
    So the Academy X cast becoming the main X-men, YA as the Avengers and so on.
    There are so many underused legacies around that the possibilities are endless.

As far the OG MC2 goes, I can see it doing ok for those nostalgic minis, but I don’t know if any of the concepts besides Spider-Girl could really find its audience as a successful line again.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Indeed. MC2 ought to have gotten an expansion of multiple lasting ongoings just like Spider-Girl.
    I assume Mayday's the only one whose book sold decent numbers. Though there was never an X-People book so they probably left money on the table there.
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    I’d love to have a new line showing what the MU would be like if the often forgotten legacies actually took over from their predecessors.
    So the Academy X cast becoming the main X-men, YA as the Avengers and so on.
    There are so many underused legacies around that the possibilities are endless.

As far the OG MC2 goes, I can see it doing ok for those nostalgic minis, but I don’t know if any of the concepts besides Spider-Girl could really find its audience as a successful line again.
    Yes to all of this! They can even call it the "Forgotten Legacies" universe as tongue and cheek. But I would love to dive into a world like this where the legacy heroes are grown up and the primary heroes. So many factions like Academy X, Young Avengers, the Initiative, Champions, Avengers Academy, Franklin and Valeria, They can even have older Power Pack lol. Only the New Mutants seem to have really grown into big name teams.

Personally I'd like to see those new "Assembly" characters in a setting like this as opposed to current 616 because they can make new dynamics. I've already seen how the old Avengers and heroes deal with teenage superheroes many times and it gets to the point where they contradict themselves like Iron Man opposing one set but then letting another join the Avengers. Very inconsistent. I want to see how the teenage superheroes now in the adult role handle the situation they were in years before. What if they were the ones who had to put a stop to teenage superheroes despite them all starting as them? It would be so cool to read and it saddens me I'll likely never get it
    Last edited by ComicNoobie; 04-20-2024 at 06:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    I assume Mayday's the only one whose book sold decent numbers. Though there was never an X-People book so they probably left money on the table there.
    Yeah all that stuff with Magneta and the X-People... was mostly in Spider-girl. Spider-Girl spent a lot of time hanging out with Mutants.

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Yeah all that stuff with Magneta and the X-People... was mostly in Spider-girl. Spider-Girl spent a lot of time hanging out with Mutants.
    Keeping the tradition going, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by ComicNoobie View Post
    Yes to all of this! They can even call it the "Forgotten Legacies" universe as tongue and cheek. But I would love to dive into a world like this where the legacy heroes are grown up and the primary heroes. So many factions like Academy X, Young Avengers, the Initiative, Champions, Avengers Academy, Franklin and Valeria, They can even have older Power Pack lol. Only the New Mutants seem to have really grown into big name teams.

Personally I'd like to see those new "Assembly" characters in a setting like this as opposed to current 616 because they can make new dynamics. I've already seen how the old Avengers and heroes deal with teenage superheroes many times and it gets to the point where they contradict themselves like Iron Man opposing one set but then letting another join the Avengers. Very inconsistent. I want to see how the teenage superheroes now in the adult role handle the situation they were in years before. What if they were the ones who had to put a stop to teenage superheroes despite them all starting as them? It would be so cool to read and it saddens me I'll likely never get it
    Alas, yeah. Speaking of an older Power Pack, I still think it was a missed opportunity that we didn't get a similar expansion and development of the next generation of heroes in the Renew Your Vows ongoing continuity that we got in MC2, especially after the original RYV miniseries had the Power Pack being friendly with Annie.

Heh, thinking about Magneta.... How much would it actually work to say Magneta is a daughter of Zaladane? We literally have no idea who her parents even are... just that she's not Magneto's daughter. I think it'd be easy if she was somehow put up for adoption or something since she wasn't raised by her parents.

Heh, thinking about Magneta.... How much would it actually work to say Magneta is a daughter of Zaladane? We literally have no idea who her parents even are... just that she's not Magneto's daughter. I think it'd be easy if she was somehow put up for adoption or something since she wasn't raised by her parents.
    Perhaps, yeah.

there's a LOT of MC2 characters that barely had any sort of backstory. So doing more stuff in that time period would invite exploring that.