Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Tuck View Post
    Did Kamala know that? (If I recall, it was unclear when Peter even first knew about them.) And, importantly, using the powers could kill MJ.
    Yeah, those powers could kill her. And yet MJ uses them in that very issue.

… and continues to use them now all the time as Jackpot.

…this is a bad idea.

Blame the writing.
    Oh boy, do I EVER.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomBoom View Post
    All of this is wrong. Kamala being revealed as a mutant isn't blink and miss it thing, it's treated as a significant reveal, the scene where this happens they also explicitly say Kamala never needed her bangles to use her powers, the bangle just unlocked her mutation. And in the Marvels Kamala still uses her powers without her bangle.
    She did kind of brush aside the Mutant thing as just another label.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    Yeah, those powers could kill her. And yet MJ uses them in that very issue.

… and continues to use them now all the time as Jackpot.

…this is a bad idea.
    I love how in the Jackpot one-shot they actually acknowledge how the powers could kill her so they just limit them so she gets safer rolls as if that totally makes it okay for her to fight crime with powers that could completely kill her.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I love how in the Jackpot one-shot they actually acknowledge how the powers could kill her so they just limit them so she gets safer rolls as if that totally makes it okay for her to fight crime with powers that could completely kill her.
    What the hell is "safer" rolls? Either they can make the probability of triple skulls zero, in which case why not do that from the beginning? Or they can reduce the probability, but the chance of death is still there for MJ to do something she had no need to do anymore (it made some sense when defending the children).

Am I missing something that is in the stories (I'm following here, not reading the books)?

What the hell is "safer" rolls? Either they can make the probability of triple skulls zero, in which case why not do that from the beginning? Or they can reduce the probability, but the chance of death is still there for MJ to do something she had no need to do anymore (it made some sense when defending the children).

Am I missing something that is in the stories (I'm following here, not reading the books)?
    I’d argue you’ve already thought about this more than they have.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Apparently they can put limiters on the watch so she can get better and more concise rolls (with Paul in control because of course he is), but it's still...yeah.

But...but she's fighting crime for the fake kids! In their memory! So no one has to lose their fake kids like she did .

Apparently they can put limiters on the watch so she can get better and more concise rolls (with Paul in control because of course he is), but it's still...yeah.

But...but she's fighting crime for the fake kids! In their memory! So no one has to lose their fake kids like she did .
    Until she dies.

And then the next day some kids die because she wasn't there to save them.

Or some other paradoxical nonsense.

Until she dies.

And then the next day some kids die because she wasn't there to save them.

Or some other paradoxical nonsense.
    Since the powers are random, it’s still a terrible idea to utilize it even without the risk of self-harm and dying. What if she gets a power she struggles to control, like suddenly she’s shooting beams out of her eyes like Cyclops? What if she injures or kills someone else because she’s suddenly a walking gamma radiation reactor or her very touch sets people on fire?

She’s neither an expert at controlling the runes nor a veteran superhero, no matter how much she’s trying to sound like Batman in her head.

I’m sure the simple answer is “turn your brain off and stop thinking about this more than the writers”, but it’s just another barrier between the reader and buying into this premise.

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    Even making Kamala a mutant to line up with the MCU is such a silly request if it came from Feige.
    I agree it's a bad idea. However, if the underlying reason is that it's a big finger up to whoever mandated that the Inhumans should take over 616 from mutants because Marvel had sold the film rights to the X-Men, then I can entirely sympathise with it - even if I still think it's a bad idea.
    Besides, if they're doing that the priority should be making Wanda and Pietro Magneto's children again.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spider-Tiger View Post
    Even making Kamala a mutant to line up with the MCU is such a silly request if it came from Feige. How many more years of a shrinking market is it going to take for the big two to realize that trying to relaunch characters to line up with whatever is happening in other media serves no purpose than to potentially alienate your core readership. Movie-goers aren't going to suddenly drive over to comic shops to pick up the latest issue of Ms. Marvel just because Kamala is now a mutant.
    Off-topic but I'm a huge Ms. Marvel fan and I don't mind the change. She was going to be a mutant to begin with but Perlmutter mandated that she be an Inhuman for corporate reasons (and 2014 Marvel's idea of the Inhumans is a ripoff of mutants anyway), so I would argue this is an example of "good" brand synergy since it's making the character more like her author intended her to be had it not been for corporare politics.

It's just that the execution was terrible.
    Last edited by Kaitou D. Kid; 04-19-2024 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Off-topic but I'm a huge Ms. Marvel fan and I don't mind the change. She was going to be a mutant to begin with but Perlmutter mandated that she be an Inhuman for corporate reasons (and 2014 Marvel's idea of the Inhumans is a ripoff of mutants anyway), so I would argue this is an example of "good" brand synergy since it's making the character more like her author intended her to be if not for corporare politics.

It's just that the execution was terrible.
    Honestly I feel like ultimately being an Inhuman worked out better because it let her be her own thing rather than get roped into being just another X-Character like she is now.

Besides she's more Avenger than X-Man in my opinion.

Astonishing Member

Honestly I feel like ultimately being an Inhuman worked out better because it let her be her own thing rather than get roped into being just another X-Character like she is now.

Besides she's more Avenger than X-Man in my opinion.
    See, that's the thing, though. There is no reason for her to get roped with the X-Men just because she is a mutant. I think it would expand on the Marvel Universe in a good way if we had more mutants that weren't in the X-Men.

The fact she is getting roped in with the X-Men I think shows that Marvel views all mutants as a monolith. And that's part of why the X-Men and mutant metaphor in general never felt fully integrated with the rest of the Marvel Universe.

So yeah, what they're doing is a misstep, but I don't think Ms. Marvel inherently being a mutant is the problem there.

See, that's the thing, though. There is no reason for her to get roped with the X-Men just because she is a mutant. I think it would expand on the Marvel Universe in a good way if we had more mutants that weren't in the X-Men.

The fact she is getting roped in with the X-Men I think shows that Marvel views all mutants as a monolith. And that's part of why the X-Men and mutant metaphor in general never felt fully integrated with the rest of the Marvel Universe.

So yeah, what they're doing is a misstep, but I don't think Ms. Marvel inherently being a mutant is the problem there.
    That's exactly the thing though, that's always been an X-Men thing. Just look at how they've recently treated Firestar.

And Kamala being an Inhuman gave her some of her Rogues Gallery and Lockjaw and lead to a sweet story in the last G. Willow Wilson run so ultimately I think it worked out for the better than just making her another Mutant.

Same deal with Solarr, Mary Walker, Nekra, and several others recently. They weren't X-anything. The only thing they had in common was "Mutant" was their origin story.

Astonishing Member

That's exactly the thing though, that's always been an X-Men thing. Just look at how they've recently treated Firestar.

And Kamala being an Inhuman gave her some of her Rogues Gallery and Lockjaw and lead to a sweet story in the last G. Willow Wilson run so ultimately I think it worked out for the better than just making her another Mutant.
    I just think conceptually mutant makes more sense, though.

I just think conceptually mutant makes more sense, though.
    I can see it would have made more sense for her to be a mutant originally, as long as she could have been kept out of the X-Men orbit, - which, given that the X-Men's fundamental job is to find and train novice mutants, would have been tricky. It's hard to see an in-universe justification for her carrying on as a hero working out for herself what her powers were after the Wolverine team-up if she were a mutant.

But right now she has a history of not being a mutant. I don't think many people read her and missed her being a mutant.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi