Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Mets View Post
    Given the context of the X-Men comics at the time, where mutants who die are resurrected, what other way would be there for a superhero to pop up in a Spider-Man comic and discover she's a mutant?

In retrospect, it would have been cleaner to move her to an X-book and have that entire arc occur there.
    Although still wish we could have avoided having a Muslim character pop up naked in front of other people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    That's a big claim. Do you have anything to back that claim up with?
    Wells' general attitude towards his run? Lowe's soapbox in the letters page? It's nothing concrete but it gives off that vibe.
    Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    I think the bigger sin than anything Alex said above is that Kamala didn't get enough screen time in ASM before Dead Languages so that fans of hers would know she was having a big role in ASM and that book deserved their attention. Her dying protecting MJ from a god and foiling his big plan is, on paper, a perfectly heroic death befitting someone of her stature, but she'd barely interacted with MJ and didn't have much of a connection to Wayep/Rabin, so it was all kind of silly.
    Not to mention bringing her shapeshifting powers back out of nowhere just for the plot that killed her off.

Amazing Member

I get asking for 'synergy', but still, to get it by killing a character seems bizarre to me. Is that really the first idea that creatives have in their head at Marvel? Kill someone? They can't just give powerups or power changes?

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Xix25 View Post
    I get asking for 'synergy', but still, to get it by killing a character seems bizarre to me. Is that really the first idea that creatives have in their head at Marvel? Kill someone? They can't just give powerups or power changes?
    What's good or makes sense doesn't matter. What makes money is what matters. This is still a market that's heavily influenced by speculative sales. People who buy controversial issues or big issues with the hope that they can sell them down the line.

Creating good stories will always be secondary to creating money. That's why Marvel openly admitted years ago that it was part of their fiscal plan to kill a character once a quarter.

Gizmodo now claims a marvel spokesperson denies this. I didn't watch the podcast But this seems like a headline taken out of context and telephoned into something that it isn't. I really hope Ziglar doesn't have to eat any **** for What were probably joking comments made on a podcast.

https://gizmodo.com/marvel-comics-ms...ontent=gizmodo
    Last edited by Coop; 04-16-2024 at 08:07 PM.

Mighty Member

I find it funny that the Fallout from the death of Ms Marvel has lasted longer than the death of Ms Marvel herself.

No, I have no doubt this was more of an editorial directive. I’m not saying Wells is the perfect writer, but someone at Marvel had this idea to kill her off and then bring her back. That is something which takes a lot of spinning wheels.
    Add to the marketing surrounding the issue, and it becomes something which I’m sure someone in the Marketing department had suggested.

Regardless, I feel Wells is more or less the middle man here. I doubt he really cared much about Ms Marvel anyway, and knew she was coming back. Why would you want to waste effort on writing that if you know she’ll return literally a month later.

The whole situation was just a complete mess from the start. From the early leaks, to Marvel being forced to reveal Fallen Friend early to this.
    I don’t know what happened, but someone needed to step in and have a look at what the Hell Marvel where doing.

Funny enough, it was pointed out to me that Franklin was first made an official mutant years after his birth and power display with a mere off-hand remark from Reed that he determined his powers actually were mutant in origin. And it was literally in passing with no fanfare or focus whatsoever, and that was that for the next several decades.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Quote Originally Posted by Garlador View Post
    Funny enough, it was pointed out to me that Franklin was first made an official mutant years after his birth and power display with a mere off-hand remark from Reed that he determined his powers actually were mutant in origin. And it was literally in passing with no fanfare or focus whatsoever, and that was that for the next several decades.
    Franklin has a notable part in Days of Future Past (the original X-Men story). He's Rachel Summers' first boyfriend. There was a crossover between FF and X-Men Annuals - it's the story in which Gambit actually joins the X-Men - in which that's a major plot point, but I don't think anything has been done with that relationship since, probably because it would be a bit creepy.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Hadn't it been said that killing off Kamala was part of Wells' pitch to Lowe for his AMS run?
    The most likely way of making sense of everything that has been said is that Feige mandated making Kamala a mutant, Wells decided to do so by killing her off and having the X-Men resurrect her, and then from the sound of it Lowe decided that it would be more of a shock if it came out of nowhere (because shock is a more important story telling value than a proper character arc) and if it were themed as a tribute to the Death of Gwen Stacy.
    Petrus Maria Johannaque sunt nubendi

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Wells' general attitude towards his run? Lowe's soapbox in the letters page? It's nothing concrete but it gives off that vibe.
    Can you provide direct quotes that support your claim? What attitude are you referring to?

I can point to this podcast interview with Zeb Wells, where he talks about the creative process: https://comicshenanigans.podbean.com...ith-zeb-wells/

No Marvel writer is ever given carte blanche, but it's clear from this interview that Zeb is pitching and writing stories he wants to tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    Hadn't it been said that killing off Kamala was part of Wells' pitch to Lowe for his AMS run?
    The most likely way of making sense of everything that has been said is that Feige mandated making Kamala a mutant, Wells decided to do so by killing her off and having the X-Men resurrect her, and then from the sound of it Lowe decided that it would be more of a shock if it came out of nowhere (because shock is a more important story telling value than a proper character arc) and if it were themed as a tribute to the Death of Gwen Stacy.
    That's how it feels to me, too.
    Spider-Man works in mysterious ways, Shelly. And wherever he is, he loves you.

Quote Originally Posted by Daibhidh View Post
    This is news to me. Does anyone have a link?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

Amazing Member

This is news to me. Does anyone have a link?
    https://agentsoffandom.com/zeb-wells-kamala-khan-death/

I believe this has sourced Zeb's comments from Edmonton Expo 2023.

guess Fiege was at the Marvel Summit
    "He's pure power and doesn't even know it. He's the best of us."-Matt Murdock

"I need a reason to take the mask off."-Peter Parker

"My heart half-breaks at how easy it is to lie to him. It breaks all the way when he believes me without question." Felicia Hardy

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Although still wish we could have avoided having a Muslim character pop up naked in front of other people.

Not to mention bringing her shapeshifting powers back out of nowhere just for the plot that killed her off.
    I get social mores differ, but this is the type of concern that makes companies less willing to have Muslim protagonists, if it comes with these kinds of headaches.

My read of that is that Wells already had Ms Marvel in the run when he realized that killing her off would fit what's going on in X-Men.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

I get social mores differ, but this is the type of concern that makes companies less willing to have Muslim protagonists, if it comes with these kinds of headaches.
    Respecting a character’s religion and social norms might be a headache, but a necessary one. Her being Muslim is hardly the only “headache”; there are still issues with a teenage girl winding up naked in public, confused and disorientated.

And there was the bad optics of her being Pakistani and celebrated during AAPI Heritage month just a week prior to her being fridged. You can remove her religion entirely and there are still inadvisable choices made that didn’t factor in her race, age, or gender.

Overall, it’s just a mess from top-to-bottom, and the fact they’re still trying to point fingers and shift the blame says quite a bit about how mishandled the whole situation was.

I’ll say that if it’s too much of a “headache” to handle a character that important to so many people properly, then they should have left her alone until someone who understood the optics and history involved could do her proper justice.
    Join the "Spider-Fam" Community! - Celebrating Love and Advocating for Our Hero to Beat the Devil! - https://discord.gg/VQ2mHzBBFu

Quote Originally Posted by Lee View Post
    Can you provide direct quotes that support your claim? What attitude are you referring to?

I can point to this podcast interview with Zeb Wells, where he talks about the creative process: https://comicshenanigans.podbean.com...ith-zeb-wells/

No Marvel writer is ever given carte blanche, but it's clear from this interview that Zeb is pitching and writing stories he wants to tell.
    I'd probably have to forage through interviews but I feel like he's been kind of casual and relaxed about his run in general. I also feel like Lowe is also definitely very involved.