Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Mutatis Mutandis ChildOfTheAtom's Avatar
    1407 Graymalkin Lane, North Salem, NY 10560

good episode better than episode 4 for me
    The agreement also provides Disney with the opportunity to reunite the X-MEN with the Marvel family under one roof and create richer, more complex worlds of inter-related characters and stories that audiences have shown they love. It only makes sense for Marvel to be supervised by one entity. There shouldn't be two Marvels.

So can we talk about Vulcan casually being with the Imperial Guard and seemingly being normal? Will this just be a cameo or will this have bigger ramifications? Obviously they arent doing the Deadly Genesis retcon. I wonder if he will go crazy and what will set him off if that happens

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

Its weird cause I can see how this is a rough first watch.

However, I've rewatched it and now have seen a Reel Rejects reaction of the episode and it just keeps getting better.

Incredible Member PhoenixStudies's Avatar

I really liked this episode. True, I didn't expect the Shiar stuff until the preview clip posted yesterday. But even with the story split between two very different settings, there were some common themes. Colonialism was a theme. Xavier criticizes the Shiar for their colonization and assimilating other cultures. Forge mentions the weapons and blankets (reference to smallpox) used against his native people. Storm mentions how some native groups were exterminated and how the U.S. government uses native lands to store weapons etc.

Storm's inner struggle represents internalized colonialism. She left Africa to be with this monotone (monochrome?) family. She is suppressing her powers subconsciously because she fears that although she uses her powers for good, they still contribute to humans fearing mutants. She is dulling her light for others, even though they are but an echo of all that she is.

She has to overcome this to reclaim her power.

Also liked Xavier using his telepathic classroom from New X-Men. His line about how the mutants were happy and making love until the Genoshan massacre is adapted from one of his lines in New X-Men as well.

I honestly thought this was great. Comics writers in the last ten years have really focused on plot and ideas over character, so it was refreshing to see an episode that focused mostly on character with both Xavier and Storm.

Quote Originally Posted by PhoenixStudies View Post
    I really liked this episode. True, I didn't expect the Shiar stuff until the preview clip posted yesterday. But even with the story split between two very different settings, there were some common themes. Colonialism was a theme. Xavier criticizes the Shiar for their colonization and assimilating other cultures. Forge mentions the weapons and blankets (reference to smallpox) used against his native people. Storm mentions how some native groups were exterminated and how the U.S. government uses native lands to store weapons etc.

Storm's inner struggle represents internalized colonialism. She left Africa to be with this monotone (monochrome?) family. She is suppressing her powers subconsciously because she fears that although she uses her powers for good, they still contribute to humans fearing mutants. She is dulling her light for others, even though they are but an echo of all that she is.

She has to overcome this to reclaim her power.

Also liked Xavier using his telepathic classroom from New X-Men. His line about how the mutants were happy and making love until the Genoshan massacre is adapted from one of his lines in New X-Men as well.

Very good points and observations.

I liked this episode. I was hoping for more focus on Storm but I guess they needed to show us Professor already. And Shiar is always entertaining. Even if it’s not my favorite, the only weak episode for me so far is episode 4. All the others had great moments and are very strong. This was a bridge episode and I’m fine with it. I think the heat will be back with episodes 8, 9 and 10.

Storm regaining her powers was obviously the highlight. I love her characterization in this and was moved to see the powerhouse that she is, back. I’m glad she has long hair again but I wished she chose to go to her lightning bold Outback uniform instead of the 70’s one.
    A picture would last longer darling...

It feels like Onslaught will happen in s2

'Sup Choom? Handsome men don't lose fights's Avatar

Speaking as a viewer who never read the story that lifedeath is based on, I thought it was a pretty interesting episode. Storm's doubt and uncertainties gradually giving way to her unbreakable willpower was exciting to watch, and the unexpected use of her original (and best costume ever) felt like a real "Hell yes!" moment. Forge knowing magic was pretty cool too. Unfortunately, an African woman and a native American man both said the word "colonizer" in a disparaging way, so I expect Nerdrotic to explode from sorrow in about five minutes.

Shiar-wise, I was so jealous of Ronan. Step on me too, Deathbird! She's one baaaaaad b-word. Bird. I was gonna say bird. Also, we saw you standing in the back, Gabriel, trying to act like you weren't up to ****.

I really enjoyed this, especially the Shiar part. Something refreshing about seeing Xavier not acting like a murderous psycho for a change. Also, his armor sent me straight to when I was a kid discovering X-Men comics:

Lifedeath was enjoyable (though not nearly as great as it was in the comics), but I still feel it shouldn't have been split in 2. Storm regaining her powers was an epic moment, though.

Amazing Member

When Xavier showed up in that outfit, I wondered if they were doing the Skrull thing.

I didn't notice it until this episode, but the Adversary was played by the actor who plays Storm. I like how the Adversary was literally using her own voice to manipulate her.

Didn't like this one. Worst episode so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Handsome men don't lose fights View Post
    Speaking as a viewer who never read the story that lifedeath is based on, I thought it was a pretty interesting episode. Storm's doubt and uncertainties gradually giving way to her unbreakable willpower was exciting to watch, and the unexpected use of her original (and best costume ever) felt like a real "Hell yes!" moment. Forge knowing magic was pretty cool too. Unfortunately, an African woman and a native American man both said the word "colonizer" in a disparaging way, so I expect Nerdrotic to explode from sorrow in about five minutes.

Shiar-wise, I was so jealous of Ronan. Step on me too, Deathbird! She's one baaaaaad b-word. Bird. I was gonna say bird. Also, we saw you standing in the back, Gabriel, trying to act like you weren't up to ****.
    The Storm/Forge parts in this ep were not so much based on either 'Lifedeath' issue (especially not Lifedeath 2), but more on the sections of Fall of the Mutants where the Adversary has whisked the both of them away to an alternate Earth. But only very loosely.

It was cool to see such a prominent Marvel character with no ties to the X-corner of the universe like Ronan show up this episode... even if he was there mostly to get beaten on by Glads and Deathy.
    Take my dreams, childish and weak at the seams
    Please don't analyze, please just be there for me

Astonishing Member Klaue's Mixtape's Avatar

Spoilery guess

I think Sinister is a misdirection. They made it a point to have Nimrod in the opening. Im pretty sure it was him who blasted Trask.

Now who is pulling the strings there I guess we'll find out in episode 7 or 8.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaue's Mixtape View Post
    Spoilery guess

I think Sinister is a misdirection. They made it a point to have Nimrod in the opening. Im pretty sure it was him who blasted Trask.

Now who is pulling the strings there I guess we'll find out in episode 7 or 8.
    I think it's Bastion, there was a man who looked like him at the Gala and Forge had a pic with a man dressed like him

Quote Originally Posted by starduck View Post
    It feels like Onslaught will happen in s2
    Ditto... and for that to happen, I feel like my theory of what happens in the finale might come to pass. Especially with Xavier on his way back to Earth.