Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Possibly something like that.

EDIT: No, it was Brevoort that said there was a post Krakoa era being planned by JDW I think? Where did we hear about that? Somewhere recently it was revealed that JDW was planning a post Krakoa era.
    Oh yeah here it is for anyone interested from the Tom Brevoort thread, when he revealed that New X-Men was part of JDW's post-Krakoa plan: https://community.cbr.com/showthread...=1#post6755462
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Astonishing Member

It’s a shame whatever Xavier’s planning probably just involves luring Moira XI close enough to trigger whatever switch he planted in Moira X’s mind and not something interesting and actually game changing, like freeing/restoring Karima’s mind from Omega’s takeover or triggering the proto-conscience in Nimrod that brought the OG one to the brink of a heel turn (before being forcefully reset and turned into Bastion that is)

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by MythicalChicken View Post
    I'm torn on that; I don't understand the impulse to vilify Charles Xavier to this degree, though at least this time they foreshadowed the hell out of it -- "what good men will do to prove their good" and all.
    I feel like it's a common thing with modern Marvel where they take a character with flaws and make their flaws their whole character. Everybody wants the attention of doing a "Demon in a Bottle" storyline or yet another tired "Xavier did something bad" thing that it effectively ruins the character.

I like that Xavier has flaws. I actually think the X-Men prequel movies did a good job of portraying a very flawed, yet genuinely compassionate, Charles that you could root for. Hell, even Millar's Xavier in Ultimate X-Men was at least aware of his emotional detachment and ego and felt bad about it.

The 616 version has just become ridiculous. He's almost sociopathic. It's so dumb and depressing. Before the whole Hickman era, it seemed like Xavier had reckoned with his past bad behavior and was trying to move forward and redeem himself, so to turn him into this kind of malevolent, sinister figure is just stupid and inconsistent.

It's sort of like the direction they've been taking Beast for the past 20 years that they've (hopefully) abandoned now. Why do you take this likable, important character and deliberately develop them in a way that makes them completely reprehensible and monstrous? It just feels like a cynical and ugly thing to do, especially when it's so repetitive and pointless.

Quote Originally Posted by king of hybrids View Post
    It’s a shame whatever Xavier’s planning probably just involves luring Moira XI close enough to trigger whatever switch he planted in Moira X’s mind and not something interesting and actually game changing, like freeing/restoring Karima’s mind from Omega’s takeover or triggering the proto-conscience in Nimrod that brought the OG one to the brink of a heel turn (before being forcefully reset and turned into Bastion that is)
    My hope is that Gillen has a lot more in store for Xavier and that whatever his real plans are will be fully realized in Gillen's books.

Quote Originally Posted by Viteh View Post
    I'd be genuinely surprised is this new era will have higher sales after the initial launch bump. Other than the Phoenix book, nothing sounds like a "must-buy".
    I agree. I feel like the sales will be the same. Just no more Krakoa or ressurrections.

Seems premature to predict since we haven't read the books yet. My LCS owner said there's a lot of excitement from what he's seeing and he has more new pull-lists than he's had in a while. But that's just one shop.

The nicest thing I can say about this mess is that at least it's almost over. I loved the Krakoa era but at this point the era has become so tainted that I feel it's for the best to just end it now.
    The Avengers are Firefighters. We're the ones who fly into the blaze, whatever it is. Because we're the ones who
    can, so we're the ones who have to.~Captain Marvel

So out of characters like Apocalypse, Mystique, Destiny, Shaw, etc, they decided that Xavier was going to take the fall and become villainous (regardless of whatever plan he has, he just sacrificed a bunch of people on that ship). So the end result of the Krakoa era is that Xavier and Moira are just reprehensible monsters and people like Proteus and Mystique are just misunderstood? Yeah, I am ready for this era to be over.

Quote Originally Posted by Technopriest View Post
    So out of characters like Apocalypse, Mystique, Destiny, Shaw, etc, they decided that Xavier was going to take the fall and become villainous (regardless of whatever plan he has, he just sacrificed a bunch of people on that ship). So the end result of the Krakoa era is that Xavier and Moira are just reprehensible monsters and people like Proteus and Mystique are just misunderstood? Yeah, I am ready for this era to be over.
    I actually thought it was gonna be Mystique with some crazy elaborate plan, but then the telepathy stuff happened and my hopes were dashed.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by CGAR View Post
    I agree. I feel like the sales will be the same. Just no more Krakoa or ressurrections.
    Maybe. I do think a lot of people wanted to jump on at various points these past few years but there were so many books and crossovers and complex things being weaved in between all of those that there was no clear jumping on point. And when I saw fans give a list of necessarily stories to get, it was so massive and expensive looking that I wouldn't bother.

So a clean slate might be way more accessible for readers than how dense the Krakoa era was.

Astonishing Member

It's nice Apoc cares about his Pokemon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kingdom X View Post
    I actually thought it was gonna be Mystique with some crazy elaborate plan, but then the telepathy stuff happened and my hopes were dashed.
    It cannot be Mystique, since Marvel decided to pull the same thing DC did with Harley and pretend the character was not a sociopathic murderer and was just misunderstood.

This issue really doubled down on some of the worst things of the Krakoan era.

Out of character behaviour? Check - Xavier is just a full on villain at this point and has lost all nuance (even if he does have some kind of plan), Sunfire is a blind follower, Nimrod fails to kill Cyclops because he…wants to blow him up seconds later.

Data pages used to tell rather than show? Check.

Apocalypse killing kids and everyone being okay with it? Check.

All of which sits against the backdrop of a messy, convoluted storyline and timeline. Any goodwill or optimism about this event has fallen away.
    "When the mob and the press and the whole world tell you to move, your job is to plant yourself like a tree beside the river of truth, and tell the whole world — No, you move."

The difference of interest I have for Duggan compared to Gillen and Foxe's books is staggering.

Dark Lord of the Sith Darth_Caedus's Avatar

Foxe should've been the one writing the adjectivesless X-Men