Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Absolute Comics: DC's Ultimate Universe? New52 Superman?

Alright, so, this is how I understand it:

DC Comics will launch an in-continuity thing called Absolute Power. Spinning out of that will be "Absolute" comics titles that aren't fully in DC Universe continuity. There's a lot of hedging on that, even from within the rumor mill, but that's the (rumored) plan.

To be clear, no "Absolute Superman" title has been announced (There's a Batman title, though.).

Further, no New52 Superman thing has been announced.

However, why reinvent the wheel? They've got a great potential "absolute" Superman in New52 Superman already, with a built-in fan base.

I realize that going with the New52 Superman might feel like something that would force the whole potential Absolute line onto Earth52. And, if things did play out that way, it might not be the worst thing in the world- that era had a distinctive Wonder Woman character they could pick up, and some other cool distinctives. In a sense, it'd be like getting handed the entire New52 universe from 2015 or 2016 (Though, if they did that, I think in comic book time you'd say the events of 2011-2016 happened between 2019-2024 or something. Sort of a modified version of the standard sliding "comic book time" that almost all comics use.), but without a lot of the restrictions that come from being the DC Universe's main versions of characters.

However, you don't actually need to set the entire Absolute line on Earth 52 in order to use the New52 Superman. You could make it so that each Absolute monthly is it's own separate earth. You could also make it so that they are all set on the same earth other than earths 1, 2, or 52, but New52 Superman is just sort of dropped in there ala the way Power Girl was parachuted into Post-Crisis comics even though she wasn't natively from that version of the DC Universe. Maybe their Superman died and New52 Superman is taking over in his absence. Maybe their Superman is dramatically different and went rogue almost Injustice style, and the Flash pulls in New52 Superman from Earth 52 to help defeat loosely-injustice-like Superman.

Evil Superman maybe offers New52 Superman an earth to save- the one he is on and battling on- or the one he came from. He refuses to choose and defeats Evil Superman, but Evil Superman basically either destroys Earth 52 from afar, or does something to the walls of the multiverse (or whatever) that seemingly make it impossible for New52 Superman to go home, which could build to New52 Superman as a permanent part of Absolute Earth going forward.

I could see the ending of the first story arc being New52 Clark Kent walking into the Absolute Earth's Daily Planet and applying for a job. Maybe Clark Kent never worked in journalism in that universe, so when New52 Clark applies for a job, he's new to them and those characters, though of course he knows their alternates from his earth.

I mean, there are lots of ways to play it. They could even do something like New52 Superman is lost in the multiverse and every issue is him in a dramatically new universe as he keeps flipping through universes without conscious control, doing good where he can, and hoping he can find someone who can stabilize him so he can eventually stop leaping/sliding/whatevering with no control.

I suspect they will not use New52 Superman. However, he's really the only thing about DC Comics that interests me at this point, and they haven't used him in like eight years. So, that's the extent of my interest. When they say, no, it's not him, it becomes "Maybe I'll check it out for free from my local library after it's collected, if they have it, but probably not.". I used to subscribe to 5-6 books when New52 Superman was there. Now I don't buy anything from DC Comics (Which would obviously change if New52 Superman came back).

I mean, it's a way to go. Even New52 Superman's critics said that he might be good in something like Marvel's Ultimate line, and some of the negative reaction to him was based on him essentially replacing "their" Superman. If Absolute winds up being DC's Ultimate universe, why not use the character who's been sitting on the shelf who everyone said would be great in exactly that type of monthly?
    Last edited by SuperCrab; 04-17-2024 at 02:28 PM.