Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by All Star Superman View Post
    I shared this in the DC News thread but figure it's relevant here as well:
    It wouldve been better if they used the Future State characters for this. But a few of them like Jon and Aquaman's daughter might have to be nixed as they are too dependant on their parents for stories.

It could be interesting but now it feels like another half-measure.
    Last edited by the illustrious mr. kenway; 04-19-2024 at 11:12 AM.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by the illustrious mr. kenway View Post
    It wouldve been better if they used the Future State characters for this. But a few of them like Jon and Aquaman's daughter might have to be nixed as they are too dependant on their parents for stories.

It could be interesting but now it feels like another half-measure.
    The House of El stuff was pretty cool, would like to see them again. Was pretty happy to see it included in the Warworld Saga book.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Nah I don’t buy this. That it doesn’t even list Snyder writing a book should tell you it’s sketchy. Absolute Comics is Snyder’s baby and he initially conceived it as a reaction to 5G, which this “leak” is far more reminiscent of. Snyder wanted a line of books starring the classics while 5G radically changed up the mantle holders. His Absolute Comics is going to be the younger unmarried versions of the old guard which lines up better with Gunn’s new universe, while the main universe maintains its mess of a continuity.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

I think the list is fake, mainly because Ta-Neishi Coates' Superman movie is still in development even if it's unlikely and Batman being LGBT+ which I don't think WBD would approve.

That being said, I wouldn't be so certain that Snyder is just gonna do young and unmarried versions of the current heroes. The Dawn of DC DCU is already classic enough as it is.

Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

The only way I see that working, if this is really about copyright, is to change the secret identities. Clark Kent and Bruce Wayne are the identities that would become public domain. Make it more like the Tangent line seems like the most foolproof way to protect their ownership of the characters.
    Assassinate Putin!

Quote Originally Posted by Leancarp900 View Post
    I think the list is fake, mainly because Ta-Neishi Coates' Superman movie is still in development even if it's unlikely and Batman being LGBT+ which I don't think WBD would approve.

That being said, I wouldn't be so certain that Snyder is just gonna do young and unmarried versions of the current heroes. The Dawn of DC DCU is already classic enough as it is.
    It definitely wouldn’t just be “young version of Earth 0 Superman”, that’s what World’s Finest is. If Scott Snyder is writing Superman I expect it to be more along the lines of New 52 t-shirt and jeans social crusader Superman with an aggressive attitude by way of shouen anime. A Superman who enjoys fighting and isn’t as big as trying to talk people down as he is beating people up, that’s what I would expect. Snyder has talked about his kids and Jorgen Jimenez getting him into anime, we have MAWS folding a lot of anime into Superman, I expect an “Absolute Superman” to likewise borrow a lot from anime.
    For when my rants on the forums just aren’t enough: https://thevindicativevordan.tumblr.com/

Quote Originally Posted by The Frog Bros View Post
    The House of El stuff was pretty cool, would like to see them again. Was pretty happy to see it included in the Warworld Saga book.
    They were a cool bunch but they wouldnt fit my reimagining angle. Unless you wanna set Absolute DC in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    Nah I don’t buy this. That it doesn’t even list Snyder writing a book should tell you it’s sketchy. Absolute Comics is Snyder’s baby and he initially conceived it as a reaction to 5G, which this “leak” is far more reminiscent of. Snyder wanted a line of books starring the classics while 5G radically changed up the mantle holders. His Absolute Comics is going to be the younger unmarried versions of the old guard which lines up better with Gunn’s new universe, while the main universe maintains its mess of a continuity.
    Do you have additional information on this? I keep up with DC behind-the-scenes stuff and don't recall reading anything like this, other than Snyder's distaste for DiDio's 5G plans.

Do you have additional information on this? I keep up with DC behind-the-scenes stuff and don't recall reading anything like this, other than Snyder's distaste for DiDio's 5G plans.
    I have no direct BTS info. When the news that an “Ultimate DC” was in the works first came out, a user on Reddit claimed to go to the same LCS as Snyder, and he talked with Snyder around the end of Death Metal about his plan. Snyder supposedly shared that it was meant to star the classic heroes while 5G focused on legacies. Snyder supposedly was focused on Superman and had specific ideas for him. Is that true or total bs? I have no clue, but I’m leaning towards believing it. Snyder has a bad habit of spoiling stuff in interviews lol.

There’s been two more “leaks” that I find more believable. One is that Absolute Superman will be “more alien”, and either Jason Aaron or Scott Snyder will be writing him.

Amazing Member

Absolutely comic being about New 52 versión? No , but I think introducing him as the earth 1 Superman(instead the JMS version) and Byrne Superman as the Superman of a post crisis earth would be the best idea.

Astonishing Member The Frog Bros's Avatar

If Snyder is the guy who ends up writing it, I think it’d be interesting if he worked in some horror elements. Seems like that was more his focus on his indie books.
    “Look, you can’t put the Superman #77s with the #200s. They haven’t even discovered Red Kryptonite yet. And you can’t put the #98s with the #300s, Lori Lemaris hasn’t even been introduced.” — Sam
    “Where the hell are you from? Krypton?” — Edgar Frog

Fantastic Member

Quote Originally Posted by Vordan View Post
    I have no direct BTS info. When the news that an “Ultimate DC” was in the works first came out, a user on Reddit claimed to go to the same LCS as Snyder, and he talked with Snyder around the end of Death Metal about his plan. Snyder supposedly shared that it was meant to star the classic heroes while 5G focused on legacies. Snyder supposedly was focused on Superman and had specific ideas for him. Is that true or total bs? I have no clue, but I’m leaning towards believing it. Snyder has a bad habit of spoiling stuff in interviews lol.

There’s been two more “leaks” that I find more believable. One is that Absolute Superman will be “more alien”, and either Jason Aaron or Scott Snyder will be writing him.
    Aaron and Snyder both seem like terrible choices for Superman, but if I have to choose I guess Snyder is better fit.

Aaron's Action Comics arc was very disappointing. First, he kept trying to hype it up by saying how "dark and twisted" it was, not really what Superman is all about. But even that's fine.

What was the worst thing about it was how he introduced Joker in the last act of the arc as the deus ex machina who single handedly saved the day while Superman was reduced to being a supporting character in his own book. It was like he originally wanted to write a Joker story and this Action Comics arc was him just finding a way to do that. He wrote 2 issues of setup for his Joker story in the final issue.

I don't want Superman being written by people who are fundamentally more interested in writing Batman and his characters (which I understand is like 90% comic writers these days).

I'm at least a C-Lister! exile001's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post
    I don't want Superman being written by people who are fundamentally more interested in writing Batman and his characters (which I understand is like 90% comic writers these days).
    I don't know how true that is, but it is certainly easier to write Bat-characters these days because of (what must be DC's) restrictions of what a Superman story can be.

Look at any power fantasy Manga, heck even Invincible, and you'll see Supermen doing awesome things, being badass, saving the world/universe and, most importantly, looking cool as hell. We don't see this stuff in Superman, we keep getting the same old stuff we've had since forever (and he's used worse in the wider DCU).

Either writers coming to Superman are far too limited in their imaginations, which I doubt, or DC has far too many guidelines to how/what Superman story can be told.
    Last edited by exile001; 04-29-2024 at 05:40 AM.
    "Has Sariel summoned you here, Azrael? Have you come to witness the miracle of your brethren arriving on Earth?"

"I WILL MIX THE ASHES OF YOUR BONES WITH SALT AND USE THEM TO ENSURE THE EARTH THE TEMPLARS TILLED NEVER BEARS FRUIT AGAIN!"

"*sigh* I hoped it was for the miracle."

Dan Watters' Azrael was incredible, a constant delight and perhaps too good for this world (but not the Forth). For the love of St. Dumas, DC, give us more!!!

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Laser_Man View Post
    Aaron and Snyder both seem like terrible choices for Superman, but if I have to choose I guess Snyder is better fit.
    Putting the wrong personnel on these books has always been the perennial problem with DC's attempts to do their own Ultimate line. Marvel having Millar and Bendis on UXM, USM and Ultimates was really a lightning in a bottle. In contrast the All-Star and Earth One and 5G were all knee capped by horrible personnel choices. They really should have learned their lesson: you either get the right people or don't do it at all since bad creative choices is just wasting everyone's time like putting Millar on All-Star Batman.

So Johns and Frank doing Earth One Batman was wrong choice according to you?