Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzy Mittens View Post
    That would be neat if true. I was under the impression that Ewing had an exclusivity contract with Marvel so I didn't think that was possible.

Marc Andreyko would be a nice one to get as well
    Ewing is writing a story for DC Pride Next month. If he had an exclusive contract, It must have expired.

From what I understand, with several DC heroes nearing public domain mode, DC is supposedly trying to push out new iterations of the heroes with origins and designs radically different from the golden age versions so that they have something wholly under their control to latch onto that is potentially popular enough to become the mainstay in the event that anyones able to make a more successful outing with those elements in the public domain than DC has been able to do.
    Interesting! Thank you!

Astonishing Member WonderLight789's Avatar

From what I understand, with several DC heroes nearing public domain mode, DC is supposedly trying to push out new iterations of the heroes with origins and designs radically different from the golden age versions so that they have something wholly under their control to latch onto that is potentially popular enough to become the mainstay in the event that anyones able to make a more successful outing with those elements in the public domain than DC has been able to do.
    What a moment if somebody is able to do that with Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by WonderLight789 View Post
    What a moment if somebody is able to do that with Wonder Woman.
    Wild thing is it is very much possible to do too just that too. Marston had some very strong elements to work with in his run. Most of which were abandoned and never touched on by following writers.

Heh, can you imagine if a big name creative latched onto public domain Wonder Woman and released creator owned WW content?

Quote Originally Posted by PrydefulHunts View Post
    Josie Campbell as the writer....

Jax City/Kill The FIremen

Going into the public domain isn't bad like people think it is. DC has the very image of these characters trademarked. Anyone wanting to do a Womder Woman book won't be able to anything iconic Wonder Woman.

Quote Originally Posted by DABellWrites View Post
    Going into the public domain isn't bad like people think it is. DC has the very image of these characters trademarked. Anyone wanting to do a Womder Woman book won't be able to anything iconic Wonder Woman.
    No, but they could skirt close to the line like most parodies do, something U.S. law has a pretty broad definition of.

They likely couldn't call it Wonder Woman, much like how most of the PD Mickey Mouse projects use "Steamboat Willie" or how DC can't call Billy "Captain Marvel" on any titles but they can in stories.

So something like "The Wondrous Adventures of Diana Prince/Princess Diana" would likely be a safe title for a PD project.

Anyways some, likely fake, rumors from 4Chan about Absolute DC

Quote Originally Posted by Reddead View Post
    Another Absolute DC "leak" from 4chan (probably fake, but it does sound more real than the other one).

* Absolute Superman by Jason Aaron: Superman as an actual alien with little to no humanity
    * Absolute Wonder Woman by Al Ewing: Wonder Woman as an adventurer
    * Absolute Batman by Scott Snyder: Batman as an average guy with no money
    * Absolute Flash by Jeff Lemire: Flash (Wally) with a new origin with no connection to Barry

If real I hope they mixed up Aaron and Snyder's projects tbh because I think Snyder creating a new Batman would be lame.
    Quote Originally Posted by All Star Superman View Post
    I admit up front that what I'm about to share might be completely false, so take it with a grain of salt. It's some fun stuff my comic book retailer shared with me, stuff he heard from people he knows who know other people at DC. You know how that goes...

From his "sources:"

- Rich Johnston's comments that Absolute DC has a lot to do with the looming copyright expiration is true. This is DC's preparation for a long-term solution to the problem of no longer solely owning all versions of their characters.

- The "Absolute Earth" line (possibly referred to as "Earth-A" to avoid conflict with the countless numbered universes) will not line up with the plans that James Gunn has for DC on film, whereas "DC All In" will. Apparently, "All In" refers to synergy among various media.

- Absolute DC books will be limited to solo characters for a time and will radically reimagine some of them. That's not my choice of words, it's the word my comic guy said was used. Johnston used similarly strong wording in his story.

- Because the intent is to develop a new universe that would more easily exist in light of expired copyrights, expect changes in characters' ethnicity, sexual identity, and powers.

- Green Lantern and Flash will be among those most changed from the versions we know today. Think the SA approach to those same characters but perhaps as radically different as Tangent.

- First books released include Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, Flash, Green Lantern, and the debut of new characters or old characters repurposed for the new universe.

- As Johnston said, Waid is involved but so too are John Ridley, Ta-Nehisi Coates, Gail Simone, Tom King, Tom Taylor, and Grant Morrison.

- Superman will likely receive a new ethnic background, with Coates adapting his Superman film ideas for the Earth-A version of the character.

- Wonder Woman's origin will be heavily tweaked, rooted in Native American mythology instead of Greek.

- Bruce Wayne will likely be of mixed heritage and will possibly also be gay or bisexual.

- The buildup to the Justice League will take a while, perhaps months or even a year's worth of stories.

- Grant Morrison is involved in some way with the Wonder Woman revamp, possibly writing and approaching the character the way he did Superman in the New 52.

My thoughts:

Personally, none of this interests me in the slightest. If true, though, it's not surprising. They will retain trademarks but not copyrights, meaning they'll have to get very creative to distinguish their versions of the DC heroes from those that will likely start appearing in less than a decade. I have no interest in what will less "Ultimate DC" and more of a radical reimagining, but I understand why DC would go that route.

Astonishing Member OopsIdiditagain's Avatar

Marjorie Liu
    Mirka Andolfo
    december 21st has passed where are my superpowers?

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    No, but they could skirt close to the line like most parodies do, something U.S. law has a pretty broad definition of.

They likely couldn't call it Wonder Woman, much like how most of the PD Mickey Mouse projects use "Steamboat Willie" or how DC can't call Billy "Captain Marvel" on any titles but they can in stories.

So something like "The Wondrous Adventures of Diana Prince/Princess Diana" would likely be a safe title for a PD project.

Anyways some, likely fake, rumors from 4Chan about Absolute DC
    The first few sound convincing enough to me. Can definitely see Jeff Lemire Flash and I have a feeling Ewing's going to DC considering he's making his DC debut in an upcoming Pride anthology and doesn't have any big upcoming Marvel projects announced (at least to my knowledge). Doesn't mean he's taking on WW necessarily but it'd definitely be on brand for him.

Second batch of rumors sounds totally bogus to me, especially Grant Morrison's involvement - I don't quite see them going back to DC at all, but I especially don't see them going back to do Wonder Woman: Earth One all over again. The ideas don't sound too bad though. I really like the idea of Ta-Nehisi Coates' Superman taking a new form and WW rooted in indigenous folklore isn't exactly a bold, fresh idea (Stan Lee's WW, Yara in theory...) but it's intriguing enough.

Quote Originally Posted by bardkeep View Post
    The first few sound convincing enough to me. Can definitely see Jeff Lemire Flash and I have a feeling Ewing's going to DC considering he's making his DC debut in an upcoming Pride anthology and doesn't have any big upcoming Marvel projects announced (at least to my knowledge). Doesn't mean he's taking on WW necessarily but it'd definitely be on brand for him.

Second batch of rumors sounds totally bogus to me, especially Grant Morrison's involvement - I don't quite see them going back to DC at all, but I especially don't see them going back to do Wonder Woman: Earth One all over again. The ideas don't sound too bad though. I really like the idea of Ta-Nehisi Coates' Superman taking a new form and WW rooted in indigenous folklore isn't exactly a bold, fresh idea (Stan Lee's WW, Yara in theory...) but it's intriguing enough.
    Yeah, second sounds like someone just filed the serial numbers off DC's Future State plan. Though my personal guess is Ewing on Superman

Gah...Ewing on Wonder Woman would be pretty great though. A full on reimagining with a continuity nerd being able to freely reimagine any concept from Wonder Womans canon without any constraints?

Yup, would be awesome