Page 2 of 671 FirstFirst 1234561252102502 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke the Terminator View Post
    Wolfman and Perez will always be my favorite.

Time to kill the mood: I haven't read the New 52 Teen Titans, but I've heard absolutely nothing but awful things about it. Is it really as bad as everyone says it is?
    Several individual issues and a few arcs are okay to good, but the series has some serious execution problems when viewed holistically, and somehow the combination of editorial and Lobdell's new ideas wound up kind of declaring war on the existence of the YJ4. Having said that, if you accept any of these suppositions, you should be okay:

1) You should not be overly fond of the old Young Justice characters to enjoy this series. Lobdell started off writing the series as a continuation, but again, at some point it kind of became hostile towards the old stroylines and personalities of the characters. If you want to read this series exclusively for Red Robin, Bart Allen, Conner Kent, or Cassie Sandsmark, you will probably find at least one deal breaking scene every few issues.

2) If you don't really like 1990's style X-Men, you also want to avoid this book. The entire series is extremely reminiscent of the period, with the last issue's summation resembling a pastiche (if you're positive) or a parody (if you're negative). There are dozens of subplots and fantastical ideas here, some of which get dropped pretty quickly thanks to the pacing of the series, which doesn't leave a lot of breathing room. It's also somewhat predictable half the time and then insanely irrational the next, so yeah, 1990's X-Men.

3) If you don't like old school writing styles, stay away. It took a while to develop, but the series went from a pretty modern, if somewhat cheesy style, to extremely retro. In particular, the series felt like a throwback when Fabian Nicieza, brought in as a scripter in the first year of the book, left and thought balloons, omniscient and adjective addicted narration boxes, and expository dialogue became the norm. Characters begin explaining what they're doing in painful detail while described in edgy narration to give flavor. It reads an awful lot like the type of comic-style people mock now.

It's not all bad, though. Bunker's pretty cool, and the issues with FabNic helping out read much better and seem to float on two professional creators over the rest of the series.

Ultimate Member

I'm curious to see if Will Pfeifer can do something good/interesting with this cast.

BANNED
    Last edited by Neowing; 05-09-2014 at 10:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathstroke the Terminator View Post
    Wolfman and Perez will always be my favorite.

Time to kill the mood: I haven't read the New 52 Teen Titans, but I've heard absolutely nothing but awful things about it. Is it really as bad as everyone says it is?

I picked up issue 1 of the new52 titans and I wasn't impressed right away. Maybe the Wolfman/Perez run and the young justice show raised the bar too high for me.

On that note, what elements from those two incarnations make them so appealing? And hopefully how can those be used in the upcoming series? I really want the new series to do the past justice!

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher007 View Post
    I'm curious to see if Will Pfeifer can do something good/interesting with this cast.

What would be a good example of his work a guy could check out? (for a sample of what to expect in the new titans series)

Maybe with him writing the series, starfire will return to her old form and join the fold!

Thanks for the feedback guys (and possibly gals). Looks like I'll be avoiding the first run of the New 52 Titans. Here's hoping the second one will be better.

All-New Member

I'm looking forward to the reboot of Titans. I like Will Pfeifer's writing and have read a few of his past series so I know he will do the Titans justice. I'm glad they kept Bunker as a main member. I like his personality and his character design. I'm also hoping Will brings back Kon to the fold (I don't like Jon Kent), and I'm thinking he might bring Wally into the series as the resident speedster. I also think it would be pretty cool to have Ryan Choi on the team, but I know that's wishful thinking. They need to put Static back on the Titans but for some reason they have no plans for his character at the moment (what a waste!)

BANNED

I feel like the last great writer for this team was Johns. After he left the title, I feel like no other writer could really portray this team well. Since the reboot, this team has been a wreck and I really hope this new relaunch can really turn things around for this team/franchise. I feel like Marvel is doing well with its teen titles while DC has utterly failed since 2011, which is upsetting considering its success with animated Teen Titans and Young Justice cartoons.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

Astonishing Member OBrianTallent's Avatar

I first discovered the team in New Teen Titans #2 waaaaay back when and have loved them ever since. From there Dick Grayson became one of my top four DC characters (Superman, Wonder Woman, Donna Troy being the other three.) Wolfman and Perez built not just a team, but a real community even a family amongst the characters. I've even gone back since then and collected the entire run of the original Teen Titans series (minus a couple of issues) and have ever run of the title since. Young Justice became an excellent legacy of the original legacy characters with PAD building the third generation into a similar family...characters with similar circumstances bonding together and having fun along the way. When Geoff brought those guys into the Titans family he continued the tradition, strengthening not just the legacy, but the characters themselves building them into a strong unit. True, both groups of Titans have had their fair share of um...not so great runs, but they were still great characters. (I even have the Jurgens run of not-Teen Titans, which was a fun group and I loved Argent and even Risk and hated what they did to him.)
    Then we got the New 52 and I have been absolutely stunned at the character assassination that has existed in this iteration. I was on the verge of dropping the title when the cancellation was announced so I decided to stick it out to see if there was something that could happen that would turn these characters around. We have a (Red) Robin who has little history with Batman, we have a Wonder Girl who has absolutely no history with her namesake, a Kid Flash whom I still have no clue about and then a bunch of other bizarre characters who are just as disjointed. Does Beast Boy have any connection to his other family Doom Patrol any more? The best of the group has been Bunker (who I really am glad to see continue into the new series.)
    In my opinion, DC really missed an opportunity to give this group a small soft reboot to put them into a position to erase some of the issues the vast majority of fans have been having complaints about. I am trying to be really hopeful about Pfiefer's run. Wonder Girl needs some major attention. Three plus years into it and she needs to have a meeting with Wonder Woman, she needs at least some of her back story explained. She also needs a slight wardrobe adjustment (give the girl some straps and ditch the ridiculous silent armor garbage.) Tim needs some over haul too. This bunk about Drake not being his name and hiding from his parents just needs to go.
    I've always enjoyed Pfeifer's work before, not AWESOME, but definitely solid and I love Rocafort's art so I am hoping to at least enjoy this run. hoping.

i miss donna troy so much

image.jpg

Man I'd kill for that team in the new relaunch!

BANNED

The New Teen Titans (1980s) had the best action sequences. Some of my favorites were in issue 18 and 19.

Perez+TT+vs+A.tif.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mahzian View Post
    The greatest teen superhero team of all time Teen Titans have seen many iterations over the years (some of them more memorable than others).

What is your favorite character / team roster / creator / toy / era / element and why?

For me I think my favorite era would need to be Teen Titans volume 3 (2004-2011) by Geoff Johns and current Justice League United artist Mike McKone. It looked really fresh and clean and drew on the legacy aspect a lot between the team, their Titan predecessors and their mentors in the Justice League. I really loved that iteration of the logo as well!

From Comics Continuum, July 8, 2003:

TEEN TITANS #1 SELLS OUT

Nine days before its on-sale date of July 16, Teen Titans #1 has sold out at DC Comics. This makes four sold-out debut issues for DC in under three weeks.

"I couldn't be happier that the excitement for Teen Titans has grown so much, so fast," said writer Geoff Johns. "Mike McKone, Marlo Alquiza, Jeromy Cox, Eddie Berganza and everyone else involved have been pouring their passion into this book for months now and I can't wait for readers to see the results."

"The momentum that began with Teen Titans/Young Justice: Graduation Day continues to build with this very early sell-out," says Bob Wayne, DC's VP - Sales & Marketing. "It's a strong indicator of reader enthusiasm for the series, so retailers should increase their orders on both Teen Titans and the Teen Titans/Young Justice: Graduation Day Compendium."

DC has no plans to go back to press on Teen Titans #1 at this time.

Source.

And from July 11, 2003:

TEEN TITANS SECOND PRINTING

With Teen Titans #1 sold out at DC Comics nine days before its in-store date of July 16, DC has announced that the issue will go back to press for a second printing.

The premiere issue, which introduces a new team of Teen Titans, is written by Geoff Johns with art by Mike McKone and Marlo Alquiza. The cover of the Second Printing features art by McKone and Alquiza that appeared on the Teen Titans promotional poster.

"I'm thrilled DC is behind this book and believes in it enough to initiate a second printing before issue one even hits the stands," Johns said. "It's been a great week for the Titans crew."

"As always, we look at every sold-out book on a case-by-case basis, and since Teen Titans sold out before it even reached stores, going back to press on it made sense," said Bob Wayne, DC's VP - sales and makreting. "Fan enthusiasm for this series is high, and with the new printing, retailers should have no hesitation in increasing orders on upcoming issues."

Teen Titans #1 Second Printing is available for order now and is scheduled to arrive in stores on July 23 with a cover price of $2.50.

Source.
    Last edited by Lee Stone; 05-14-2014 at 05:59 PM.