Page 11 of 671 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314152161111511 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by nj06 View Post
    Do we know who they guy is?
    Manchester Black

Ultimate Member

Yeah, it's Manchester Black. Hopefully he won't be used as a cheap strawman caricature this time around.

The "Earth One" Re-imagining of the Titans by Lemire and the Dodsons already has my attention more than any other attempt at reinvigorating the title since the Johns/McKone and Nicola Scott (art) runs on the book.
    With the Teen Sidekick concept having been so thoroughly explored, and somewhat problematic in the New52 continuity, a team comprised of other familiar Titan staples who aren't Legacies, seems like the way to go.
    http://www.newsarama.com/22642-jeff-...earth-one.html

teentitansearthone.jpg

BANNED

Still no Khalder or Static huh?

I read the preview pages for earth one titans on amazon and I loved it. I haven't been this interested in a titans book in a long time.

DC/Collected Editions Mod The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Teen_Titans_Filmation_001.jpg

This was my introduction to the original Teen Titans back in the late '60s on Saturday mornings. It wasn't until the mid-'70s when I became an active comic book reader that I found out Robin was also a member. The New Teen Titans of the '80s, however, was my favorite incarnation of the group.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I'll shall become a bat!

Pre-CBR Reboot Join Date: 10-17-2010

Pre-CBR Reboot Posts: 4,362

THE CBR COMMUNITY STANDARDS & RULES ~ So... what's your excuse now?

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post
    The "Earth One" Re-imagining of the Titans by Lemire and the Dodsons already has my attention more than any other attempt at reinvigorating the title since the Johns/McKone and Nicola Scott (art) runs on the book.
    With the Teen Sidekick concept having been so thoroughly explored, and somewhat problematic in the New52 continuity, a team comprised of other familiar Titan staples who aren't Legacies, seems like the way to go.

teentitansearthone.jpg
    so pumped for this book. Love how Star Fire and Beast Boy are looking. Also Terra and Deathstroke have me pumped up

Quote Originally Posted by Overhazard View Post
    I read the preview pages for earth one titans on amazon and I loved it. I haven't been this interested in a titans book in a long time.
    same here. This is the first must buy comic I've come across in weeks.
    The J-man

I'm hanging out for that Earth One book, I love Terry and Rachel Dodson's work.

Has anyone grabbed the DC Collectibles Red Robin? I wasn't a huge fan of the costume but seeing it in person really looks great, this pic doesn't do the figure justice, I really love the way they did the cape / wings even if it's a solid piece

IMHO, having grown up reading them, the Wolfman/Pérez team cannot be beat. The way that they melded the newer characters with the side-kicks worked out phenomally well, imo.

I've followed the Titans on and off afterwards, but the overall writing to me of the subsequent runs did not hold my interest. What Wolfman and Pérez managed to do, DC managed to subsequently botch later through the years. How is it that Marvel can continue with the same characters/teams through the years and DC can't?

For me, in the end, it was the characters together and the combination of varying story genres (from space adventures, to mythology, to teen runaways and the occult) which made the book one of top sellers during the 80s. It is sad to think what they have done with the characters since then, IMO.

I would, in a heart beat, buy a Titans book with these Wolfman/Pérez characters (give me back Donna Troy as Wonder Girl and have her be Wonder Woman's sister, bring back Wally as Kid Flash, restore Raven to her iconic mysterious and angsty self, and a Starfile that is not a vapid alien brain dead bimbo, please!) - given a top notch creative team and full editorial backing by DC. I am not saying to rehash the stories, but to continue with the characters instead of running roughshod over the characters themselves.

Oh well, just my two cents.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by orionblue; 11-07-2014 at 07:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by orionblue View Post
    IMHO, having grown up reading them, the Wolfman/Pérez team cannot be beat. The way that they melded the newer characters with the side-kicks worked out phenomally well, imo.

I've followed the Titans on and off afterwards, but the overall writing to me of the subsequent runs did not hold my interest. What Wolfman and Pérez managed to do, DC managed to subsequently botch later through the years. How is it that Marvel can continue with the same characters/teams through the years and DC can't?

For me, in the end, it was the characters together and the combination of varying story genres (from space adventures, to mythology, to teen runaways and the occult) which made the book one of top sellers during the 80s. It is sad to think what they have done with the characters since then, IMO.

I would, in a heart beat, buy a Titans book with these Wolfman/Pérez characters (give me back Donna Troy as Wonder Girl and have her be Wonder Woman's sister, bring back Wally as Kid Flash, restore Raven to her iconic mysterious and angsty self, and a Starfile that is not a vapid alien brain dead bimbo, please!) - given a top notch creative team and full editorial backing by DC. I am not saying to rehash the stories, but to continue with the characters instead of running roughshod over the characters themselves.

Very well said, though imo the other Titans series were worth reading. (besides the new 52 team, parts of the Atom's Titans, after Helfer took over the Titans, and the first arc of Churchill's run)

Quote Originally Posted by Thirteen View Post

teentitansearthone.jpg
    The Earth One Teen Titans series does look like a great read and I look froward to it coming out. I like this line-up of Titans and I really want to see more of Starfire and Beast Boy. I also want to know who the mystery Titan will be.
    We are the Dora Milaje. We are the daughters of the 18 tribes of Wakanda. We are the teeth of the Panther God. Out of 10,000 years of sweat and bloodshed and battle are we born. We are the women of this ancient land. Deadliest of the species. And our time has come!

BANNED

When there's trouble you know who to caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall. TEEN TITANS!
    From their tower they can see it aaaaaaaaaaaaaaall. TEEN TITANS!
    Do do do-do something like that...OH YEAH!
    Na na na na big fluffy cat. THAT'S RIGHT!

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by orionblue View Post

The way you feel about the Wolfmann and Perez era is the way I feel about the David and Nauck Young Justice run. Both runs had a clear formula that had a wide range, and both were excellent starting points for young readers. And they had plenty of parallels to each other: a combination of serious and more light-hearted threats, a strong sense of adventure and camaraderie over strictly formulaic angst and action only, and the usage of a mysterious original female as an overarching mythological center point. The biggest difference was the characters: both Wolfmann and David avoided defining their character strictly by archetypes, and both groups were enjoyable.

But the Wolfmann Titans got the support of the top brass, while Didio apparently hated YJ, and arguably have cast such a long shadow that every other team, even the YJ crew and the original members themselves in the reunion series, has been hammered into conforming with what editorial believed the Wolfmann and Perez Titans were.

Which is why as much as I like the Wolfmann/ Perez Titams on their own merit, I despise how they've left such an impression that they've butchered my favorite team to make another Titans team.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    The way you feel about the Wolfmann and Perez era is the way I feel about the David and Nauck Young Justice run. Both runs had a clear formula that had a wide range, and both were excellent starting points for young readers. And they had plenty of parallels to each other: a combination of serious and more light-hearted threats, a strong sense of adventure and camaraderie over strictly formulaic angst and action only, and the usage of a mysterious original female as an overarching mythological center point. The biggest difference was the characters: both Wolfmann and David avoided defining their character strictly by archetypes, and both groups were enjoyable.

But the Wolfmann Titans got the support of the top brass, while Didio apparently hated YJ, and arguably have cast such a long shadow that every other team, even the YJ crew and the original members themselves in the reunion series, has been hammered into conforming with what editorial believed the Wolfmann and Perez Titans were.

Which is why as much as I like the Wolfmann/ Perez Titams on their own merit, I despise how they've left such an impression that they've butchered my favorite team to make another Titans team.

And this is where I think DC really dropped the ball - why the heck did they not capitalize on promoting Young Justice as it was? I may be wrong thinking this, but to me Young Justice is not the Titans.

Leave the Titans be and leave Young Justice be. DC could have really built up their young superhero line by having both - catering to audiences for both teams. Why is it one instead of the other? Someone at DC goofed big time, imho.

BANNED

The New Teen titans created by Marv Wolfman and George perez is a good blueprint on how to create a balanced Team in terms of personality and skill set. Out of the members Cyborg and Wonder Girl (Donna Troy) was a little bit in conflict because they both had Super-Strength. Otherwise they all worked as a well oiled machine. Starfire was very outgoing. Raven was Mysterious aloof. Donna was mild-mannered. Robin the natural leader. Changeling/Beast Boy was the jokester. Kid Flash came from the mid-West and was conservative. And Cyborg was the scientific/computer genius with a street edge.

And when Jericho came around you got the sense that they painstakingly created this character specifically to fit into the team without stepping on any toes personality or skill set wise.

I think adding the Young Justice kids after Graduation Day was a mistake because they just didn't fit the role (maybe) I'm sure some will disagree but still it's just my opinion.

But I had good times reading the New Teen titans in the 80's. There are not many Super-Hero teams that can go seamlessly from battling alongside the Omega Men in deep space and coming back to Earth to deal with the issue of Runaway teenagers all within the span of a few issues.