Page 113 of 671 FirstFirst ... 1363103109110111112113114115116117123163213613 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,695 of 10059
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    Sure but I don't like them using swords and shields since it invokes more warrior than superhero.
    Regarding lethality, I don't quite get the complaint about the swords... it's not like Donna and Diana can't rip tanks apart with their bare hands?

I do however get the complaint that the sword is perhaps not really needed since (I might be wrong) Diana doesn't seem to actually use it that much in actual fights. So perhaps it's to be seen more like Batman's utility belt; as an option.

Quote Originally Posted by Vinsanity View Post
    I don't know either. Guess blame the cartoon.
    It goes beyond that, there are people who believed the same thing happened to comic Terra, that somehow Deathstroke got in her head or that if she hadn't freaked out and killed herself, then she could have been turned around. It's why W/P later brought in her alternate timeline self.

Donna should trade the sword for a gun. They should modernize her as a warrior

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    I would have pegged Artemis as the one more likely to use a modern weapon.

Extraordinary Member Doctor Know's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    I would have pegged Artemis as the one more likely to use a modern weapon.
    Did you both forget Countdown? I wouldn't be surprised if you did. HAHAHA

Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    Regarding lethality, I don't quite get the complaint about the swords... it's not like Donna and Diana can't rip tanks apart with their bare hands?

I do however get the complaint that the sword is perhaps not really needed since (I might be wrong) Diana doesn't seem to actually use it that much in actual fights. So perhaps it's to be seen more like Batman's utility belt; as an option.

It goes beyond that, there are people who believed the same thing happened to comic Terra, that somehow Deathstroke got in her head or that if she hadn't freaked out and killed herself, then she could have been turned around. It's why W/P later brought in her alternate timeline self.
    Another problem is that their respective teams abhor killing and that's pretty much all a sword is for.

As for Terra, I think a lot of it also has to do with the implications of the Judas Contract story. I talked about this in an old thread a while back

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    This has been on my mind ever since I saw Terra in the TT animated series and then read about 'The Judas Contract' the story which the Terra episodes were based on. For those unfamiliar with Terra here's the summary: Terra was a super-powered 16 year-old hired by the mercenary Slade Wilson a.k.a. Deathstroke the Terminator to infiltrate, spy on, and destroy the Titans (she was actually 15 when she started doing this). During her time with the Titans, it's revealed she's having a sexual affair with Slade. When the time comes to betray the Titans, they try to reason with her and fail, and she dies while trying to kill them, destroyed by her own powers.

Firstly, the story repeatedly beats readers over the head with how evil Terra is (contrasting with the show where it is made clear that Terra is just a confused girl being exploited by Slade). Her sleeping with Slade is supposed to show how depraved she is, yet it is shown she fancies herself in love with Slade and thinks he loves her back. Furthermore, nothing indicates she's ever slept with anybody else and Slade might be committing statutory rape. Finally, after Terra's death the Titans forgive Slade and he is treated as something of an 'Anti-Villain', even though he was the one who came up with the plan to bring down the Titans. The reader is told that Slade is the lesser evil of the two but never actually shows how.

So to summarize we have a story of a teenager who is used to destroy the heroes and ends up destroyed by her powers and this is treated as a fate she deserves. Meanwhile, the adult is allowed to get away with conspiracy to commit murder and statutory rape.

For further info Terra's character and an analysis of this story see this blog: http://historiesofthingstocome.blogs...ch/label/Terra

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Know View Post
    Did you both forget Countdown? I wouldn't be surprised if you did. HAHAHA

I hate Countdown so much, the only enjoyable part was when Mary Marvel used Kyle like a club on Donna.

"It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Quote Originally Posted by byrd156 View Post
    I hate Countdown so much, the only enjoyable part was when Mary Marvel used Kyle like a club on Donna.

I guess that's enjoyable in its absurdity .

Here's hoping evil Mary Marvel is never a thing again. Or evil Donna.

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    I guess that's enjoyable in its absurdity .

Here's hoping evil Mary Marvel is never a thing again. Or evil Donna.
    Or any heroes turning evil for no reason.
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does? - Gaff Blade Runner

"In a short time, this will be a long time ago." - Werner Slow West

"One of the biggest problems in the industry is apathy right now." - Dan Didio Co-Publisher of I Wonder Why That Is Comics

Somebody Do This In COLOR, Please!

Quote Originally Posted by juan678 View Post

art by Leandro Matos
    Gorgeous artwork! Well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Rakiduam View Post
    Sweet! That's a good looking team. So pumped for this book!

Omen looks a little better in action. I have no idea what she's supposed to be doing, though.
    The others look pretty good, aside from Roy's stupid looking goggles.

Quote Originally Posted by Factor View Post
    Omen looks a little better in action. I have no idea what she's supposed to be doing, though.
    The others look pretty good, aside from Roy's stupid looking goggles.
    Not really a fan of the goggles and the hat (although I'm slowly getting used to it).

This should be Roy's look for TT Rebirth *Something that I recoloured about a week ago).

arsenal v2 finished.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by El_Gato View Post
    I like that line-up quite a bit! Its fresh and would be interesting to read. Mine would be:

Robin (Damien)
    Superboy (Jonathan)
    Kid Flash (Wallace)
    Blue Beetle (Jaime)
    Solstice (Kiran)
    Traci 13
    Powergirl (Tanya)
    Awesome line-up but Jon is ten years old. I actually forgot about Solstice she definitely needs a rebirth.

Another problem is that their respective teams abhor killing and that's pretty much all a sword is for.

As for Terra, I think a lot of it also has to do with the implications of the Judas Contract story. I talked about this in an old thread a while back
    I have been reading the New Teen Titans Run starting with Vol. 1 & 2, I have not got to Judas Contract yet but it is not hard to realize this run does not handle pedo/rape in the best way. Terry Long & Donna Troy with their evil future child, Trigon rape of Arrella and all the other vile things he has done with no consequence, Hyperion making Donna fall in lover with him with powers, Starfire wearing her slave costume even after freedom, Beast Boy Creepy Thirst, Raven manipulating both Wally and Dick in a sexual manor etc.

BANNED

Think abhor is a bit too far a stretch tbh, like Diana killed Max Lords and wasn't perma-banned from the League. John Stewart was a soldier who'd seen deployment and blown up more than one planet. And there was that time when Bruce locked KGBeast in a sewer seemingly to starve to death. And ofc J'onn who atomized Fernus. But you are right that a sword has a limited amount of use besides as a tool for killing... that said a skilled swordsman or woman can use it to incapacitate targets just by knowing where to put it.
    On top of it all, Batman has a very long and stories association with Katana, who has a far more dangerous weapon than Donna has and has been cool with her using it whereever she goes.