Page 320 of 671 FirstFirst ... 220270310316317318319320321322323324330370420 ... LastLast
Results 4,786 to 4,800 of 10059

Quote Originally Posted by Sam View Post
    Anyway, I think Abnett is fine, it's this current arc that isn't working. Before the Lazarus Contract, things were good.
    That is highly debatable. I think the series has been dull and lifeless since Titans Hunt. Nothing since then has changed my opinion.

Abnett has been writing these characters for nearly 2 years now. It is beyond just editorial not letting him do what he wants I think. Abnett is just not doing a good job with these characters in any area.

I agree Abnett's whiffing on Titans. I also don't see what everyone else is loving so much about Aquaman. It seems squarely mediocre to me. What's Abnett known for? I haven't read a single DC thing he's done that's been a standout in any way at all.

I'd like to see Tom King take over Titans, but actually I'd like to see Tom King take over every title. He's far and away the best writer at DC lately (Priest is a distant second) and he's writing both of their two best titles: Mister Miracle and Batman.

If he has time for more, please give him whatever he wants. I want him to be at DC forever.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by BatmanJones View Post
    What's Abnett known for?
    My favorite thing he's written is easily his Legion of Superheroes stuff. He wrapped up the 'Legionnaires' era, wrote a maxi series, and then wrote the majority of "The Legion". In particular, the aforementioned Maxi series, Legion Lost Vol. 1, is both my favorite Legion story of all time, and in my top 5 comic stories of all time.

I'd like to see Tom King take over Titans, but actually I'd like to see Tom King take over every title.
    Lord that would be awful.

He's far and away the best writer at DC lately (Priest is a distant second) and he's writing both of their two best titles: Mister Miracle and Batman.
    Literally the only thing about this statement I don't disagree with is Mister Miracle being one of the best two titles, and that's just because I haven't read it.

I'd like to see Tom King take over Titans, but actually I'd like to see Tom King take over every title. He's far and away the best writer at DC lately (Priest is a distant second) and he's writing both of their two best titles: Mister Miracle and Batman.
    I liked King's Batman run (at least his WoJaR run, didn't read the rest) and I've read nothing but good things from his Vision, but I wouldn't want him on Titans. For what he has written for X Men: Blue, I wouldn't mind Bunn writing Titans.

Quote Originally Posted by Assam View Post
    My favorite thing he's written is easily his Legion of Superheroes stuff. He wrapped up the 'Legionnaires' era, wrote a maxi series, and then wrote the majority of "The Legion". In particular, the aforementioned Maxi series, Legion Lost Vol. 1, is both my favorite Legion story of all time, and in my top 5 comic stories of all time.
    There's also his Guardians of the Galaxy run with Andy Lanning, on-top of their entire Marvel Cosmic saga .

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    There's also his Guardians of the Galaxy run with Andy Lanning, on-top of their entire Marvel Cosmic saga .
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's his most well regarded Marvel work.

And outside comics, he's written both some of the best and some of the worst Warhammer novels.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Nightwing View Post
    I kind of feel for the guy, knowing what a huge Flash fan he is and that he's always very positive when he talks about DC. The quality of his work just doesnt scream high profile event to me. If you look at his Nightwing run compared to Titans there is a noticible decline of quality. I wonder if Booth was jaded by the sub par writing or is a team book just that more demanding?
    Team books are just that hard. I mean, even his JLA issues from before Flashpoint was kinda meh when you compared to his Nightwing or even his Flash stuff in the New 52.

And everyone's out here wanting to replace Abnett, all I wanted from Abnett was a follow up to that cliffhanger from JL #51, smh. We still don't have it. I don't mind Abnett, but even I'm tired of his stuff (although I'm willing to see if he'll at least deliver on the Donna issues, literally no one else is interested in writing about Donna right now, so there's that).

BANNED

Oh yeah, and just saying this in advance in case BatmanJones wants to ask, rather than King and Priest, I feel the best/most consistent writers DC has are Gene Luen-Yang and Gail Simone, with Jeff Parker as the runner-up. (Yes I know he isn't writing anything right now, but he's recent enough) Plenty of other writers they have currently have written amazing stuff, but they're not as consistent, or in Giffen's case, recently lost that consistency.

Also for BatmanJones, not sure if you've gotten to checking out Impulse yet for our game, but if you enjoy/ended up enjoying it, you'd probably be interested in Impulse: Bart Saves the Universe, a one shot written by Priest.
    Last edited by Assam; 10-10-2017 at 08:18 PM.

Oh yeah, and just saying this in advance in case BatmanJones wants to ask, rather than King and Priest, I feel the best/most consistent writers DC has are Gene Luen-Yang and Gail Simone, with Jeff Parker as the runner-up. (Yes I know he isn't writing anything right now, but he's recent enough) Plenty of other writers they have currently have written amazing stuff, but they're not as consistent, or in Giffen's case, recently lost that consistency.

Also for BatmanJones, not sure if you've gotten to checking out Impulse yet for our game, but if you enjoy/ended up enjoying it, you'd probably be interested in Impulse: Bart Saves the Universe, a one shot written by Priest.
    I haven't been able to afford to pick up Impulse yet. Sorry I'm running late. Will do soon. Have you read your second assignment? I can't remember what it was.

LOVED the Bryan Q. Miller Batgirl, which another user here assigned me, and definitely getting the second volume for my reading pleasure if there is one.

It completely changed my rankings of the various Batgirls. I've always been a Barbara Gordon first, Bette Kane second, Cassandra Cain third guy.

My recent readings have me convinced Babs should have stayed in the chair and that Stephanie Brown is the ideal Batgirl.

My new rankings have moved Barbara Gordon from my favorite Batgirl to my fourth(!) favorite. Her two books lately and just how poor they are have a lot to do with that. They made the nostalgic choice but didn't have the writers to back it up.

1. Stephanie Brown
    2. Bette Kane
    3. Cassandra Cain
    4. Barbara Gordon (Bring back Oracle please! We need better representation of disabled characters.)

BANNED

Have you read your second assignment? I can't remember what it was.
    Haven't gotten to it, the first volume of Hellblazer, yet. Been pretty busy.

LOVED the Bryan Q. Miller Batgirl, which another user here assigned me, and definitely getting the second volume for my reading pleasure if there is one.

My recent readings have me convinced Babs should have stayed in the chair and that Stephanie Brown is the ideal Batgirl.
    The second volume isn't out yet, but I'm sure Millernumber1 will be delighted to hear you feel this way.

Myself, as a critic, I give Miller's Batgirl an 8/10, but as a fan, I can't give it more than a 5 or a 6.

1. Stephanie Brown
    2. Bette Kane
    3. Cassandra Cain
    4. Barbara Gordon (Bring back Oracle please! We need better representation of disabled characters.)
    My Batgirl Pecking Order:

1. Cassandra Cain (Duh)
    2. (DISTANT) Stephanie Brown
    3. Charlotte Gage-Radcliffe (If we're counting Bette, I'm counting her)
    4. Bette Kane
    5. Barbara Gordon

I enjoy their work, though whether I'd call them the most consistent writers of DC...well, I think that largely depends on which of their work you view (because both have had their failures along with their successes).

But I guess that's true of any writer.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post

But I guess that's true of any writer.
    Yeah, I don't think there's a writer at DC or Marvel today with a perfect track-record.(Although I believe it was you who told me that Luen-Yang wasn't exactly dealt a very good hand for his Superman run, and with Simone, while she does have two IMO crap runs (Batgirl and her second BoP run) she just has SO MUCH good stuff that outweighs it.)

Quote Originally Posted by sakuyamons View Post
    Who would be you guys’ ideal Titans writer?
    I'm not sure, but we need a writer that understands these characters and their history.
    I wonder if J. Michael Straczynski could do it. ???
    "History of the DC Universe" by Wolfman and Perez, when the DCU use to make sense.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

I would not mind seeing Peter David do a proper Teen Titans book. His Young Justice series shows he knows how to write teen characters and his X-Factor over at marvel shows he can do great things with B and C list characters in a team setting.

Babs should have stayed in the chair and that Stephanie Brown is the ideal Batgirl.

My new rankings have moved Barbara Gordon from my favorite Batgirl to my fourth(!) favorite. Her two books lately and just how poor they are have a lot to do with that. They made the nostalgic choice but didn't have the writers to back it up.

1. Stephanie Brown
    2. Bette Kane
    3. Cassandra Cain
    I know the quality of Cass Batgirl but my ideal batgirl is Steph too..

The same but without better kane(I only know the other 3 batgirls)... I saw Cass and Steph volumes after the begin of burnside...

Barbara, both girls were better without doubt than you now.. DIFFERENT KIND OF CHARACTERS BUT... You knew that both worked in Gotham City not in Wonderland..
    Last edited by adrikito; 10-12-2017 at 01:17 PM.