Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

So......

That's it?

Delroy is evil?

Man, I was really hoping for a swerve.

Extraordinary Member

The pacing and suspense is better than last issue (and preview) so I am hoping for a good conclusion.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Lame Ugly Looking Joke View Post
    So......

That's it?

Delroy is evil?
    If the writer was going to make being a double agent a big twist he is really selling it at least.

Astonishing Member

I mean, the reveal that Delroy isn't actively working undercover with T'Challa or the other Avengers doesn't mean that he couldn't have accepted the position in Orchis fully intending to just sabotage them from within on his own. It still fits with his gripes with the Avengers and complaints about not being taken seriously that while wanting to do something to combat Orchis or help mutants he figured he was better off on his own because nobody else sees him as a viable or useful ally.

And it is worth pointing out that MODOK directly calls him out for the volume of Sentinels that are being destroyed in the attack on the Impossible City, when we've seen elsewhere how powerful/dangerous even one of them can be elsewhere. Could definitely be spun as Delroy's doing this to try and thin Orchis' Sentinel forces as much as possible and has some failsafe in mind to make sure they don't actually manage to destroy the Impossible City in the process.

I honestly don't have a strong leaning towards or against the idea that MacKay is making Delroy a legit bad guy here or a traitor to Orchis, but I still think it would pretty easy for him to write either direction at this point.

Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BobbysWorld View Post
    I mean, the reveal that Delroy isn't actively working undercover with T'Challa or the other Avengers doesn't mean that he couldn't have accepted the position in Orchis fully intending to just sabotage them from within on his own. It still fits with his gripes with the Avengers and complaints about not being taken seriously that while wanting to do something to combat Orchis or help mutants he figured he was better off on his own because nobody else sees him as a viable or useful ally.

And it is worth pointing out that MODOK directly calls him out for the volume of Sentinels that are being destroyed in the attack on the Impossible City, when we've seen elsewhere how powerful/dangerous even one of them can be elsewhere. Could definitely be spun as Delroy's doing this to try and thin Orchis' Sentinel forces as much as possible and has some failsafe in mind to make sure they don't actually manage to destroy the Impossible City in the process.

I honestly don't have a strong leaning towards or against the idea that MacKay is making Delroy a legit bad guy here or a traitor to Orchis, but I still think it would pretty easy for him to write either direction at this point.
    Makes sense when you put it like that. Taking down Orchis from within on his own because he wants to prove a point to his doubters in the Avengers . . . it's just the right mix of nobler with more self-serving motivations to make him a real wildcard if that is the case.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

I'm not ruling anything out until I get to the final page.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    Makes sense when you put it like that. Taking down Orchis from within on his own because he wants to prove a point to his doubters in the Avengers . . . it's just the right mix of nobler with more self-serving motivations to make him a real wildcard if that is the case.
    Indeed it does make sense and now that I think about it I'd actually like this better than him being an official double agent.
    "Danielle... I intend to do something rash and violent." - Betsy Braddock
    Krakoa, Arakko, and Otherworld forever!

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

Yes! Yes! Yes!!!
    Lord Ewing *Praise His name! Uplift Him in song!* Your divine works will be remembered and glorified in worship for all eternity. Amen!

Quote Originally Posted by JB View Post
    Indeed it does make sense and now that I think about it I'd actually like this better than him being an official double agent.
    It would be a great reminder of how people and their motivations don't always fit neatly into any given box and all that.

Extraordinary Member

Let me just ask, considering that most readers won't even know who this character is in the first place, what is the point of him being a double agent? Just so the writer can make the handful of fans shocked and then relieved? This whole story has no point for the Avengers to go and do something that is never shown to be anything other than a stroll in the park for them only to have the only setback at all be something that is just a set up by an unknown double agent. It would be waste of forty pages of comic.

It is just my opinion, but if this is a sign of what we can expect in X-Men I am disappointed.

Astonishing Member

I mean, the point of him being a double agent or working to sabotage Orchis doesn't need any justification for existing beyond just....it would be a plot twist.

Since when are plot twists or there being more to a story or a character's motivation than initially appears like. A bad thing. LOL.

Ultimate Member

I hope 3-D Man isn't actually bad.

I'm getting tired of turning heroes into villains when there are actual villains out there that could be used.

Quote Originally Posted by cranger View Post
    Let me just ask, considering that most readers won't even know who this character is in the first place, what is the point of him being a double agent? Just so the writer can make the handful of fans shocked and then relieved? This whole story has no point for the Avengers to go and do something that is never shown to be anything other than a stroll in the park for them only to have the only setback at all be something that is just a set up by an unknown double agent. It would be waste of forty pages of comic.

It is just my opinion, but if this is a sign of what we can expect in X-Men I am disappointed.
    It might have more value to Avengers fans (because this is an Avengers book).

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    I hope 3-D Man isn't actually bad.

I'm getting tired of turning heroes into villains when there are actual villains out there that could be used.
    Yeah, it's an overused trope that became stale long time ago. But I feel that seems the case with how he seemed to hold a grudge against the Avengers for how many heroes treated him for killing Crusader during Secret Invasion (yes, he was a Skrull, but he betrayed his people to save Earth alongside the other heroes, he didn't deserve to die in the cruel way). In the end it seems the case that Delroy became a bigot because of his grudges.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnrevenge View Post
    Yeah, it's an overused trope that became stale long time ago. But I feel that seems the case with how he seemed to hold a grudge against the Avengers for how many heroes treated him for killing Crusader during Secret Invasion (yes, he was a Skrull, but he betrayed his people to save Earth alongside the other heroes, he didn't deserve to die in the cruel way). In the end it seems the case that Delroy became a bigot because of his grudges.
    Point, though it would be nice if it turned out he had developed enough in maturity as a character to realize what he did to Crusader was wrong and, despite resenting the Avengers for their treatment of him in the past, wouldn't actually sell out for a set of genocidal bigots like Orchis.